Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Princeton 11/20 @ 7 pm BTN

NOTES: Indiana Plays Host to Princeton on Wednesday

OPENING TIP

Indiana University is in its 120th season of competition in men's basketball and will host Princeton on Wednesday in the second game of the Indiana Challenge. The Hoosiers are coming off a 100-62 win over Troy in the first game of the challenge. A victory on Wednesday would give IU a 5-0 start for the first time since the 2013-14 season. IU is 9-3 all-time against the Ivy League and will face a member of that conference for the first time since beating Cornell, 72-57 on November 30, 2008.

GAME INFORMATION

Wednesday, Nov. 20 • 7:00 p.m.

Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall (17,222)

Watch: BTN (Brandon Gaudin and Shon Morris) | Watch Online

Radio: IU Radio Network (Don Fischer, Errek Suhr, Joe Smith) | TuneIn

Series History: Tied, 2-2

Last Meeting: at IU 59, PU 49; 11/20/96

THE COACHES

Indiana Coach Archie Miller begins his third season of guiding the Cream and Crimson. Last year, the Hoosiers finished 19-16 and advanced to the quarterfinals of the NIT. He is 178-94 in eight-plus years as a head coach, which includes six years at the University of Dayton. His Flyer teams made NCAA Tournament appearances in each of his last four seasons, including a trip to the Elite Eight in 2014. He is 39-31 at IU. Mitch Henderson is in his 9th year of leading Princeton and is 148-91 leading them to the NCAA Tournament in 2017.

NEWS & NOTES

Forward Trayce Jackson-Davis was named Big Ten Co-Freshman of the Week after he averaged 18.5 points and 11.0 rebounds last week, He also made 9 of 10 field goal attempts (90.0%) and hit on 19 of 24 free throws (79.2%) in leading IU to victories over North Alabama and Troy. He is averaging 14.5 points and 9.5 rebounds. Junior Al Durham leads the team averaging 16.8 points and is one of 29 players in the country to not miss a free throw yet (14/14). Junior Justin Smith led the Hoosiers with 22 points against Troy and made all 6 of his field goal attempts. He is averaging 16.3 points.

ODDS AND TRENDS

Sophomore Damezi Anderson is coming off back-to-back career-high efforts in scoring. He had 10 against North Alabama and then contributed 14 versus Troy. The sophomore scored 31 total points last season and has scored 26 in 3 games in 2019-20. The Hoosiers leading returning scorer, senior Devonte Green, made his season debut against Troy and contributed 6 points and 4 assists in 20 minutes.

The Hoosiers rank 2nd in the country in free throw attempts with 130 and 3rd nationally with 97 free throws made. Indiana is 8th nationally and 1st in the Big Ten averaging 93.5 points per game. IU leads Big Ten teams in field goal percentage (53.4), FTM, FTA and scoring margin (27.0). IU is 3rd amongst Big Ten teams in 3-point shooting (36.2%).

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yup  - looks like it's gonna be an eleven player rotation. Against a likely cupcake that's 'doable', but it'll be interesting to see who are the odd men out when we're in a competitive game.

I think we saw a glimmer of that vs Portland state. My guess right now is DeRon and Damezi although, Damezi had a bit of a breakout game so maybe he his strengthening his case.

TBH. I usually know who to pick but this year does seem to be more balanced. That’s good and bad. Solid players but not really superstars. TJD obviously is the standout. Durham has played best at the guard spot. Phin will get his. Those 3 guys will log heavy minutes and probably Devonte too. Then ride the hot hand. Or reward strong play.

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I think we saw a glimmer of that vs Portland state. My guess right now is DeRon and Damezi although, Damezi had a bit of a breakout game so maybe he his strengthening his case.

TBH. I usually know who to pick but this year does seem to be more balanced. That’s good and bad. Solid players but not really superstars. TJD obviously is the standout. Durham has played best at the guard spot. Phin will get his. Those 3 guys will log heavy minutes and probably Devonte too. Then ride the hot hand. Or reward strong play.

Yeah lots of balance so far. Hopefully Devonte or TJD can be that guy we give the ball to if we need a score 

I feel like the only two players who haven't taken advantage of their minutes are De'Ron and Joey. They have just been so so. Every other player has made it difficult to keep them off the floor (I don't count devonte since he has only played one game). If Damezi keeps shooting well, it will be hard to keep him off the floor on this team because it needs it so bad. 

This is a really good problem to have and hopefully that continues when competition stiffens. 

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Yup  - looks like it's gonna be an eleven player rotation. Against a likely cupcake that's 'doable', but it'll be interesting to see who are the odd men out when we're in a competitive game.

It’s inevitable that some of the 11 players are going to see their time dwindle/disappear when we play better teams,  Rob and Green are 100%,  and Hunter knocks off the rust.

5 hours ago, HoosierCoop said:

Do we have everyone tonight?

Rob, Green, etc...............

If so, the rotation should be interesting to watch.

Hopefully.

Would like for Rob and Green to get a few games playing together (and integrating with TJD) prior to FSU.

3 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

I feel like the only two players who haven't taken advantage of their minutes are De'Ron and Joey. They have just been so so. Every other player has made it difficult to keep them off the floor (I don't count devonte since he has only played one game). If Damezi keeps shooting well, it will be hard to keep him off the floor on this team because it needs it so bad. 

This is a really good problem to have and hopefully that continues when competition stiffens. 

Let's hold off on the evaluation of De'Ron and Joey.  When you play teams that are undersized and out classed they have little choice as to how they are going to play us.  They are going to try to press, run and shoot the 3, or some combination of those three.  De'Ron and Joey are a bit slower afoot and don't fit that kind of game.  When we play opponents that are bigger and stronger and want to play a half court game those big bodies will be more important.  If they are going to rise, that will be the time to evaluate.

6 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I think that the players who will cede the most time when close games happen are Armaan, DeRon, and Damezi (but maybe Jerome).

TJD, Justin, Al, Rob, DeVonte, and Joey's minutes are pretty set in my opinion.

I think that the players who will cede the most time when close games happen are Armaan, DeRon, and Damezi (but maybe Jerome).
TJD, Justin, Al, Rob, DeVonte, and Joey's minutes are pretty set in my opinion.

I get the feeling we are going to have a lot of “fresh legs” this year! 🧐

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app