Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Troy game thread 11/16 8 pm BTN

The funny part is everyone, and I mean everyone (including me) speculated that our biggest weakness would be distance shooting. 

But with Al a serious shooting threat, Damezi looking much much more comfortable, DeVonte adding to the mix as the only proven shooter, and Rob, Jerome, Armaan, and even Justin as guys that have to at least be guarded on the perimeter, shooting is now likely a team strength.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The funny part is everyone, and I mean everyone (including me) speculated that our biggest weakness would be distance shooting. 

But with Al a serious shooting threat, Damezi looking much much more comfortable, DeVonte adding to the mix as the only proven shooter, and Rob, Jerome, Armaan, and even Justin as guys that have to at least be guarded on the perimeter, shooting is now likely a team strength.

Durham's bad-assery and improvement has been terrific to watch.  Hunter's availability really helps.  Phinsee will be good enough from out there, Damezi's shot looks awful, but it's effective (I'm really happy for that kid...he's completely different than he was last year in everything from stature to intensity to results to demeanor), and Franklin will be a threat, too.  

Nobody is yet at "you can't leave that guy!" status, but none are "don't have to guard him out there," either.  Ironically enough, I'm more comfortable with ALL of the players mentioned above before I'm comfortable with Green right now.  Until he's shaken the rust off, there are 5-6 guys who should be shooting it out there before he should.  The most shocking to me is Smith!

Another stat I love..Assist/TO ratio through 4 games among our ball handlers.

First of all, nobody has > 8 TO's yet.  That's huge.

Durham   9 assists  7 TO's (not good, but among ball handlers, this is the worst and I think will improve)

Phinisee   16 assists   8 TO's

Franklin    13 assists  6 TO's

Green (granted only 1 game)   4 assists    1 TO

And we're assisting on ~ 67% of all FG's.  All of that is a HUGE improvement over a year ago, even against less than stellar competition.

53 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Trayce Jackson-Davis has been named co-freshman of the week in the Big Ten after averaging 18.5 points and 11 rebounds per game in wins over North Alabama and Troy:

18 and 11. The kid is a beast and scouts will take notice pretty quick.

19 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

I chose those teams for dramatic effect...somewhat. However, Minnesota is 1-3 to start the year with losses to Oklahoma, Butler, and Utah. None ranked but all decent opposition. What good does that do for Minny right now? What if we were 1-3 and our young guys had no opportunity to settle into a groove? These are tune up games. I just want bodies for our guys to go against in November. Get 6 or 7 wins under your belt, learn each other’s tendencies, get some confidence and then bring it in December when the competition ramps up. 

Again, this won’t matter once BT season starts. However...there are 353 D1 basketball schools and so far our schedule ranks 345 out of 353. This is freaking IU and our sos is 345 out of 353. People can disagree with me (of course) but I did not like that type of scheduling under Crean and don’t like it now.

PS. Unrelated but, regardless of the competition, on the offensive side  it has been good to see guys moving, picks being set and no frigging weave 25 feet out. The ball has been moving better even though our two presumed starting guards have not played (for most of the season) together. Could be a fun year.

Durham's bad-assery and improvement has been terrific to watch.  Hunter's availability really helps.  Phinsee will be good enough from out there, Damezi's shot looks awful, but it's effective (I'm really happy for that kid...he's completely different than he was last year in everything from stature to intensity to results to demeanor), and Franklin will be a threat, too.  

Nobody is yet at "you can't leave that guy!" status, but none are "don't have to guard him out there," either.  Ironically enough, I'm more comfortable with ALL of the players mentioned above before I'm comfortable with Green right now.  Until he's shaken the rust off, there are 5-6 guys who should be shooting it out there before he should.  The most shocking to me is Smith!

Old Friend, In regard to Justin, are you speaking of his shooting which has shocked you? I am not sold on his shot from distance as of yet. We’ve talked on the board about how his shot looks better, and it does, but slightly only. I’m not trying to be negative or bagging on the kid. Not at all. Hear me out here guys. It looks to me like his release is still not at the high point of his jump. It very much looks to me like he’s letting go on the downslope. I’m overjoyed that he has managed to knock a few down, I just wonder how sustainable that motion is. If he keeps dropping a few, great! But if he hits a cold snap, it could end like last season. Smith was left wide open on the perimeter just as much as Mcbob last year. Because they baited him into shooting it. And it worked.

What I’m wondering with all that, my question, Does anyone else notice his mechanics? Am I seeing things?

Edit: I’m going on record to say I don’t want him taking more than 2. Make or miss.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

16 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

Old Friend, In regard to Justin, are you speaking of his shooting which has shocked you? I am not sold on his shot from distance as of yet. We’ve talked on the board about how his shot looks better, and it does, but slightly only. I’m not trying to be negative or bagging on the kid. Not at all. Hear me out here guys. It looks to me like his release is still not at the high point of his jump. It very much looks to me like he’s letting go on the downslope. I’m overjoyed that he has managed to knock a few down, I just wonder how sustainable that motion is. If he keeps dropping a few, great! But if he hits a cold snap, it could end like last season. Smith was left wide open on the perimeter just as much as Mcbob last year. Because they baited him into shooting it. And it worked.

What I’m wondering with all that, my question, Does anyone else notice his mechanics? Am I seeing things?

Edit: I’m going on record to say I don’t want him taking more than 2. Make or miss.

Like I said about Damezi, his shot may not look great, but it's effective.  He is shooting and frankly playing with a ton more confidence than he was, which is more important to me than style points.  He isn't going to be counted on to take many, but he is now a threat from out there which will open things up for him and for everyone else. It's a small sample size to be sure, but he has doubled his % from last year so far.  He had only made 10 in his career entering this season, and has already made 3.   He doesn't need to do any more than he's already done to make that an effective shot for him, simply because it's now a threat.

Like I said about Damezi, his shot may not look great, but it's effective.  He is shooting and frankly playing with a ton more confidence than he was, which is more important to me than style points.  He isn't going to be counted on to take many, but he is now a threat from out there which will open things up for him and for everyone else. It's a small sample size to be sure, but he has doubled his % from last year so far.  He had only made 10 in his career entering this season, and has already made 3.   He doesn't need to do any more than he's already done to make that an effective shot for him, simply because it's now a threat.

I can get behind that. If it’s not broke, don’t fix it.. He’s definitely shooting it confidently. If he can knock down 1-2 per game without chucking.? Man, your right, that can really open things up.

On 11/16/2019 at 8:25 PM, JSHoosier said:

When Anderson elevates for a shot you might be able to slide a couple of post-its under his shoe.

On 11/16/2019 at 8:30 PM, JSHoosier said:

Looked like Anderson might have jumped a little on that last shot.

The odd thing is he seems to get elevation on his mid-range jump shot... but behind the arc he barely lifts...

*** Haven't read through this thread yet so forgive me if already discussed.

The odd thing is he seems to get elevation on his mid-range jump shot... but behind the arc he barely lifts...
*** Haven't read through this thread yet so forgive me if already discussed.

So Yogi hasn’t taught him how to shoot the 3?

Man yogi could elevate and shoot. Always was impressive to me how much lift he got.

Trayce Jackson-Davis has been named co-freshman of the week in the Big Ten after averaging 18.5 points and 11 rebounds per game in wins over North Alabama and Troy:
Cockburn was the other. I've been laughing at the media over here not mentioning he was a co-winner.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk