Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUMS at Maryland - 11/15/19 - B1G Semifinal Game

Live Stats

The No. 8-ranked Indiana University men's soccer team (13-2-3, 7-1-0 Big Ten) earned the top seed in the 2019 Big Ten Conference Tournament after running through the regular season with a league mark of 7-1-0. The Hoosiers will face tournament host and the No. 22 Maryland Terrapins (10-6-2, 3-3-2) in the semifinal round of the tournament. First kick is scheduled for 7 PM ET on Nov. 15 at Ludwig Field.

The game will stream through the Fox Sports App and live stats will be available at IUHoosiers.com.

SETTING THE SCENE
• The Hoosiers defeated the No. 8 seed Ohio State, 2-0, in the quarterfinal round to earn a spot in the semis. 
• Indiana claimed the outright Big Ten regular season championship for the second-straight season and the 16th time overall in program history. The back-to-back tournament crowns mark the first time Indiana has repeated since winning the 2006 and '07 championships. Indiana is looking to win the Big Ten Tournament championship for the 14th time in program history after claiming the trophy last season. 
• Last season, IU advanced to the College Cup for the second-straight year and for a NCAA-record 20th time in program history.
• Indiana earned the No. 2 overall for the 2018 NCAA Tournament, marking the 14th time in the last 16 years since the current seeding format began in 2003 that IU earned a top-16 seed.
• The berth for the Hoosiers was the team's 32nd-straight bid to the NCAA Tournament and the 43rd overall in the program's history.

NEWS AND NOTES
• Indiana led the conference with 12 overall Big Ten postseason honors: two first-team selections, eight overall team selections, and three specialty award winners. 
• Sophomore defender Jack Maher and freshman midfielder Aidan Morris each claimed a spot on the All-Big Ten First Team, while freshman midfielder Joshua Penn, senior defender Simon Waever, and redshirt junior defender Spencer Glass were named to the second team. 
 • Freshman forward Herbert Endeley joined both Morris and Penn on the 2019 All-Big Ten Freshman Team. The three Indiana players named to the all-rookie team tied a program-best mark and is the most since garnering three selections in 2017.
• Maher was also tabbed the 2019 Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year, while Morris racked up 2019 Big Ten Freshman of the Year honors.
• Indiana head coach Todd Yeagley was named Big Ten Conference Coach of the Year for the third time.

SCOUTING THE TERRAPINS
• The Maryland Terrapins enter the Big Ten Semifinal matchup with a home record of 8-3-0. Maryland (10-6-2, 3-3-2) finished the regular season as the fifth seed in the tournament.
• Maryland placed a total of six players on the postseason All-Big Ten squads. Both senior Eli Crognale and senior Johannes Bergmann were named to the first team, while junior Eric Matzelevich and freshman Niklas Neumann earned second team honors. Nick Richardson and Malcolm Johnston were both elected to the league's all-freshman team. 
• Crognale has tallied 13 points (four goals, five assists) for the Terps this season, including the game-winning PK against Northwestern in the quarterfinal round of the tournament. 
• The Terrapins have recorded 10 clean sheets this season, due in large part of the combination of Bergmann, a centerback, and Neumann, a goalkeeper.
• Maryland defeated Indiana by a final score of 3-0 on Oct. 18.

SERIES HISTORY
• The series between the two historically great programs is tied at 4-4-7. Indiana won the first three matchups between the two schools but holds just one victory in the last 12 outings against the Terrapins. 
• Maryland has outscored Indiana by a count of 5-0 in the last two meetings, including a 2-0 setback in the 2018 College Cup semifinals. The Terps would go on to win the 2018 National Championship. 
• IU trails the series 1-2-3 in game played at Ludwig field and have not defeated Maryland on the road since a 1-0 result on Sept. 8, 2000.

GOING BACK-TO-BACK
• For the first time since 2007, Indiana won the Big Ten regular season and the Big Ten Tournament title in back-to-back seasons after defeating Michigan State, 1-0, on Nov. 3.
• Indiana's regular season title was the 16th in program history.

BIG TEN TOURNAMENT HISTORY
• Indiana has won 13 Big Ten Tournament titles and earned a share of the 1995 crown with the Wisconsin Badgers with the most recent title coming in the 2018 season. 
• The Hoosiers are 38-10-9 all-time in the Big Ten Tournament. 

IUMS IN THE NATIONAL RANKINGS
• Indiana is ranked No. 8 in the country in the United Soccer Coaches poll. IU is ranked No. 8 in the nation by Top Drawer Soccer and No. 11 by College Soccer News. 

A-aron, how high do you see IU climbing if we win the Big Ten tourney? I believe you said before that we might be able to get in that 5-8 range. Does that still hold? Thanks for all the info you provide on the soccer program and NCAA soccer scene as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

A-aron, how high do you see IU climbing if we win the Big Ten tourney? I believe you said before that we might be able to get in that 5-8 range. Does that still hold? Thanks for all the info you provide on the soccer program and NCAA soccer scene as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yes. Lose to Maryland and we are a 9-16 seed with only one guaranteed home game. I think beating Maryland moves us to a 7-8 seed and 2 home games. Win the whole thing gets us a 5-6 seed which just moves us up seeding but not in home games. Either way I think we are on road for Elite 8 if everything holds seed wise and we get that far.

For any seed we get I hope we are opposite UCF or Georgetown as our top 4  seed as I think we have a real chance to win those. If we are opposite any of the ACC teams in VA Tech, Virginia or Wake Forest or Clemson I think we are in real trouble if we get that far.

For Sweet 16 I really hope we are again opposite UCF or Georgetown or Missouri St, Washington, SMU or St, Johns whether home or road and not Stanford or one of the above mentioned ACC teams. Its really is all based on match ups as to how far we get in my opinion. Either way barring an upset, our Sweet 16 matchup will probably be much tougher this year against a really good 5-11 team mentioned above rather than a back end 15 seed who is a paper tiger Mid Major. 

As for Maryland, chance at revenge but due to soccer's fluky nature the best two teams in Big Ten are meeting in Semi's. I feel better then last time but still not great and if we win I think it is very late or in PK's. Either way it will be a close game one goal score this time just not sure who but unfortunately lean towards Maryland if I am being objective:(. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

As for coverage, Big Ten is doing something fluky as well. It is not live on BTN but is live on Fox Sports App and FoxSportsGo online and you only need your cable subscription to watch and not a BTN+ subscription. Another 7pm prime time game on the road which is good experience since we will almost certainly be traveling on road for Elite 8 and possibly Sweet 16 so need to prove we can win big time road game.     

On 11/14/2019 at 12:30 PM, Aaron said:

Yes. Lose to Maryland and we are a 9-16 seed with only one guaranteed home game. I think beating Maryland moves us to a 7-8 seed and 2 home games. Win the whole thing gets us a 5-6 seed which just moves us up seeding but not in home games. Either way I think we are on road for Elite 8 if everything holds seed wise and we get that far.

For any seed we get I hope we are opposite UCF or Georgetown as our top 4  seed as I think we have a real chance to win those. If we are opposite any of the ACC teams in VA Tech, Virginia or Wake Forest or Clemson I think we are in real trouble if we get that far.

For Sweet 16 I really hope we are again opposite UCF or Georgetown or Missouri St, Washington, SMU or St, Johns whether home or road and not Stanford or one of the above mentioned ACC teams. Its really is all based on match ups as to how far we get in my opinion. Either way barring an upset, our Sweet 16 matchup will probably be much tougher this year against a really good 5-11 team mentioned above rather than a back end 15 seed who is a paper tiger Mid Major. 

As for Maryland, chance at revenge but due to soccer's fluky nature the best two teams in Big Ten are meeting in Semi's. I feel better then last time but still not great and if we win I think it is very late or in PK's. Either way it will be a close game one goal score this time just not sure who but unfortunately lean towards Maryland if I am being objective:(. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

As for coverage, Big Ten is doing something fluky as well. It is not live on BTN but is live on Fox Sports App and FoxSportsGo online and you only need your cable subscription to watch and not a BTN+ subscription. Another 7pm prime time game on the road which is good experience since we will almost certainly be traveling on road for Elite 8 and possibly Sweet 16 so need to prove we can win big time road game.     

I cannot find this game on either app

Frustrating half. We came to play and have done everything right but Maryland D is really good and this switch to the new goalie from last year seems to have not hurt them and he is almost as good as St. Clair. Same losing Donovan Pines their star defender. DiRosa has stepped right in (he played well last year but bigger role now) and cleared a miraculous ball off line late that should of been a point blank goal for Penn.

This game is a great test for NCAA tournament as any team after the first game will be this talented if not better. I fear since the Terps have the depth we do and it was not their best half they will come out firing.

There is a reason these IU Maryland games always comes down to end and its because these teams operate on a talent level far above rest of Big Ten and most teams in country and same will happen tonight. Toss up as to who wins.  Like us they Terps just cycle talent.. 

Same thing. Completely ran circles around the Terps again and Neumann their goalie kept saving their butt with ridiculous saves. I thought St. Clair leaving would help but this guy is just as good which is no surprise. Maryland just cycles through goalies like we do which makes sense given before St. Clair they had Zach Steffen who is now the goalkeeper for the US National team.

Two 10 min. golden goal OT's. Remember even if we advance on a shootout it goes down as a tie and would probably need to beat Michigan for a top 8 seed and two home games in NCAA tournament. A loss or tie tonight and a loss to Michigan won't help us that much. A win though in OT probably locks up a top 8 seed regardless of what we do vs. the Wolverines Sunday should we get there.

We deserve to win tonight but in soccer the best team doesn't always win even if they play a perfect game as we have.