Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Bracketology and Team Resumes

28 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

True, but I'll never forget how two years ago, he had Purdue and OSU in the Final Four, with Purdue beating Baylor in the Sweet 16. They both lost in the first round. 

Right on. I didn’t mean to gloss over your point that Decourcy is a hack.

10 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Yes 

It would have to really go to a few OT to have to move it back. 

Show you things has changed when it comes to how big selection Show has become. I was watching IU vs OSU game in 1981 on YouTube. That was the last game  of the year and was for the big ten championship. It was on NBC which had the selection for the tournament that same day. The game went to OT so the announcers on the gamevstaryed to release who had made the tournament during the game. The selection of the tournament back then was just a blip on the radar back then.

Maybe I should save this rant for Monday or pre-First Four Tuesday, but I’m feeling it now so here goes: the committee is spoken about with such reverence, but they act lazily far too often.

Of course this year that likely won’t materially impact IU, so I don’t mean this in a hugely self-serving way. But at this point it’s clear they don’t just disregard Sunday games, they discount conference tourneys too much more broadly. 2022 Texas A&M is the poster child.

Now, of course, conference tourneys are a small percentage of the whole season. So? The margins between teams are small! One game can move things. To ignore them is malpractice just as it would be to ignore games that happen any other weekend.

I also don’t buy the argument that somehow they don’t have time. There are only two games that run right up to the televised selection. Using this year as an example, the four teams playing in those games will all be in: Memphis, Houston, PSU, and Purdue. However, you could very easily create contingencies for all possible outcomes and just send CBS the bracket that matched the reality. E.g. Houston is going to be a 1; does a loss change their standing vis a vis the other 1s? PU a 1 or 2 — does the outcome change which? And then seeding implications for PSU and Memphis…what else are they doing if not gaming out those possibilities?

Finally, if they really wanted to eliminate human bias, they could do that a couple of ways instead of putting in some undeserving power conference team. No interest in doing so, it seems. But selection via a SOR or WAB-style resume metric, and then let teams draft region/opponent themselves, would be both fairer and more interesting (credit John Gasaway on this idea).

Going by today's bracketmatrix, all seeds through the 10 seed are on 100% of the brackets.  At the 11 seed (there will be six 11 seeds since this will include play-ins), Mississippi State is also 100% in and Providence is 98% in.  Assuming they are both in, that leaves 4 spots left.

Based on the matrices percentage of times that the teams are listed in brackets, the chance of each team being in the tournament for the final spots are:

Rutgers 94%

North Carolina State:  90%

Arizona State 89%

Pittsburgh 61%

Nevada 31%

Oklahoma State 28%

Vanderbilt 5%

North Carolina 1%

Wisconsin 1%

Convential wisdom would seem to say if outliers are removed, Rutgers, NC State, and Arizona State are all and the only question is whether the final team is Pittsburgh, Nevada, or Oklahoma State.  Think it's one of the least suspenseful years in terms of bubble teams, partially because of the lack of bid steals.