Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Bracketology and Team Resumes

10 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Problem with bracketmatrix is it takes all the brackets into account and some don’t update regularly and others are just trash.   I don’t even look at it anymore.  I just pick 4 or 5 guys I trust and compare them to what I’ve come up with 

I think the more valuable part of the matrix is just the accumulative 'who's in - who's out' rather than seeding.  Using those metrics, the true bubble teams are Oklahoma State, Wisconsin, Arizona State, North Carolina,  and Utah State.  Matrix had Oklahoma State and Wisconsin in and Arizona State, North Carolina, and Utah State out.  But with yesterday's results and some brackets not being updated, Oklahoma State might be thought of as out and either Arizona State or North Carolina as in.

That said, I do wish that the matrix were to put two sets of seeding numbers out -- one that includes everyone's and one that includes only those that have been updated after games from the previous day.

44 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

With Nevada losing last night Rutger, Michigan St., and Ill all sitting right above that 30 NET. Does Nebraska knockoff Michigan St. at home tonight to keep their streak rolling?

Sure would be nice for those 3 so get a couple more wins between end of season and BTT. 8 Q1 wins looks a whole lot better than 5 when you're battling for a top 3 seed.

When IU got smoked at Kansas many commented on how this Kansas team wasn’t as impressive as the last couple and wasn’t a top team this year. 

https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2023/team-net-sheet?team=Kansas

They have the number 1 SOS and has or today has a record 15 Q1 wins.   15-5 in Q1 and 18-5 against Q1 and Q2.   That’s an insane number.    My job as a bracketologist is to predict what the committee will do.  I have no idea why they had them as the 4th 1 seed during their reveal.    If it was me they would be my number 1 overall seed as of today but I’m not sure in the committees eyes if they can pass Bama if they both win out.   Whatever the committee decides 15 Q 1 wins is ridiculous and a record since they went to the NET.   Doing that against the projected toughest SOS is crazy.   Hat tip to Self and Kansas 

4 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

When IU got smoked at Kansas many commented on how this Kansas team wasn’t as impressive as the last couple and wasn’t a top team this year. 

They have the number 1 SOS and has or today has a record 15 Q1 wins.   15-5 in Q1 and 18-5 against Q1 and Q2.   That’s an insane number.    My job as a bracketologist is to predict what the committee will do.  I have no idea why they had them as the 4th 1 seed during their reveal.    If it was me they would be my number 1 overall seed as of today but I’m not sure in the committees eyes if they can pass Bama if they both win out.   Whatever the committee decides 15 Q 1 wins is ridiculous and a record since they went to the NET.   Doing that against the projected toughest SOS is crazy.   Hat tip to Self and Kansas 

Field of 68 guys were talking about that yesterday. 

2 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Kansas is #1 in my WAR by far.  Would probably have to lose their last two games to not finish #1.  Schedule is insane.

3 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Who you picking between 2022-2023 Jayhawks and 2021-2022 Jayhawks?

They had several games early in the year where they looked very underwhelming but got on track with the beat down they gave us in the Phog.

19 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Who you picking between 2022-2023 Jayhawks and 2021-2022 Jayhawks?

They had several games early in the year where they looked very underwhelming but got on track with the beat down they gave us in the Phog.

Last years team but the fact that they lost 6 of their top 8 scorers and have won 15 Q1 games in the toughest SOS is beyond impressive.    Self is probably the best coach in college basketball and should win coach of the year this year but he won’t.    As long as Kansas has him they will be near the top 

Self’s best coaching job. People like to bust him for not having won more NC’s. No, that guy’s great. And I don’t care about stats, Harris is the best PG in the country. He’s Cassius Winston.

Probably because of their net ranking, which I realize it's not ultimately that important for seeding, but I bet it had some effect. The fact that Tennessee is ranked ahead of Kansas in the NET right now is absolutely mind blowing.

Kansas - 15-5 in Q1 games and 3-0 in Q2 games (ranked 6th)   Tennessee - 6-5 in Q1 games and 3-3 in Q2 games (ranked 3rd)

5 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Last I saw as of Sunday, Jerry Palm has us as a 5 seed and Purdue as a 1.

Such a Purdue fanboy, he just can't help himself.

Does he just not acknowledge the fact the tournament selection committee had us as the first 4 seed a few weeks ago? 

He's got us as a 4 seed in his new bracket today.  Purdue still at a 1 but I've seen a lot of that.  Sounds like it could come down to PU and UCLA for the last 1 seed.

53 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Lunardi = idiot

I thought about calling him an idiot savant, but he couldn't make the leap to savant

:)

Before the PU game, he had IU as a 5 seed playing Oral Roberts. Said they couldn't win away from home, ignoring the fact that they had already beaten Xavier, UI, and UM on the road.

44 minutes ago, hoosiersoxfan said:

He's got us as a 4 seed in his new bracket today.  Purdue still at a 1 but I've seen a lot of that.  Sounds like it could come down to PU and UCLA for the last 1 seed.

Like I said yesterday, the media crowned Purdue back in November. Nobody wants to be the big bad bracketologist that takes them off the 1 line and has to deal with the Twitter mob of Purdue fans who are always reminding everybody they exist. 

57 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Last I saw as of Sunday, Jerry Palm has us as a 5 seed and Purdue as a 1.

Such a Purdue fanboy, he just can't help himself.

Does he just not acknowledge the fact the tournament selection committee had us as the first 4 seed a few weeks ago? 

That's what I don't understand...they literally gave everyone the top 16 teams in order just a week and a half ago. Shouldn't they adjust based on that information? I know the Assembly Call guy did based on the bracket release. I don't see how IU is a 5 seed. They beat Illinois and Purdue since then. If anything, should be a 3 or stay the same. 

Really doesn't matter what seed Purdue gets because their downfall is written in stone for another year. Having them on the 1 line only makes it all the sweeter, and when IU makes the Final Four and Purdue bows out in the Round of 32...they will have absolutely nothing left to say to Hoosier fans. In their period of dominance in the series, the Hoosiers will have had the most successful season of late and CMW's 2nd year. 

This shall be good :)

22 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Like I said yesterday, the media crowned Purdue back in November. Nobody wants to be the big bad bracketologist that takes them off the 1 line and has to deal with the Twitter mob of Purdue fans who are always reminding everybody they exist. 

Some conversation though.

PU fans: we exist

Everyone else: literally only you care about PU

46 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

UCLA doesn’t have the resume to pass them up just yet.    Purdue did some massive damage early on and built up a resume to where they were way far ahead of everyone.  Not now but the teams on the 2 line still are not quite there.   Total body of work for Purdue still is the last 1 seed (drink).     When Purdues resume falls to the 2 line I won’t have any problem dropping them down.