Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Bracketology and Team Resumes

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

No U Conn in the reveal.  That was the one I was interested in as they were 8 in NET and 5 on Pom.  5-6 in Q1, 3-0 in Q2.  The biggest mark against them IMO was that they were playing really well early but have dropped off some.  Didn't think that they would drop out of the 16 even though I had them barely in.

@Uspshoosier, thoughts on why they were omitted?

Also, with the #11 and #12 teams (Iowa State/Kansas State) playing each other today, does IU move up to a 3 seed?

None of the 3 seeds really covering themselves in glory. Things change quickly in college hoops but my non-bracketologist’s hunch now would be that the top 8 should feel pretty good assuming they don’t REALLY fold, and the door is cracked for one or more of the 4-5 group to play their ways into the 3 line with strong finishes

18 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

No U Conn in the reveal.  That was the one I was interested in as they were 8 in NET and 5 on Pom.  5-6 in Q1, 3-0 in Q2.  The biggest mark against them IMO was that they were playing really well early but have dropped off some.  Didn't think that they would drop out of the 16 even though I had them barely in.

@Uspshoosier, thoughts on why they were omitted?

Also, with the #11 and #12 teams (Iowa State/Kansas State) playing each other today, does IU move up to a 3 seed?

Just got home from work and I’m going to watch the IU game and the others games. I will dive into it later to try and figure out what they were thinking on them.  It might be awhile depending on how good the games are tonight 

Committee valued road games against tournament quality teams.  Comparing UConn and IU with one being 13th and the other not in the top 16 the difference between the 2 is IU has 2 top 30 road wins and UConn doesn’t.   IU sos is 14th and UConn is 28th.   UConn also has a Q3 home loss.   This is why the top 16 is important for people trying to project the field.   Now we have a road map for the rest of the year.  

7 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Committee valued road games against tournament quality teams.  Comparing UConn and IU with one being 13th and the other not in the top 16 the difference between the 2 is IU has 2 top 30 road wins and UConn doesn’t.   IU sos is 14th and UConn is 28th.   UConn also has a Q3 home loss.   This is why the top 16 is important for people trying to project the field.   Now we have a road map for the rest of the year.  

Does this typically translate forward to the next year?

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Does this typically translate forward to the next year?

Not really.  Each year is different especially when there is a new committee chair like  this year.    Chris Reynolds is the new chair.  Maybe he bumped IU up.  Lol 

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

So we know their will be movement.  Probably a lot of movement.  But just for fun let’s say IU remains where they are at the top of that #4 seed line.  That means they will play closest to home?

8 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

So we know their will be movement.  Probably a lot of movement.  But just for fun let’s say IU remains where they are at the top of that #4 seed line.  That means they will play closest to home?

Depends on who's ahead of us and what places are left. There's no good teams in the Northeast to go to Albany and there's no where in Texas or the Plains for all the Big 12 teams to go.

Teams   Places
Alabama   Birmingham
Houston   Des Moines
Purdon't   Orlando
Kansas   Sacramento
Texas   Albany
Arizona   Columbus
Baylor   Denver
UCLA   Greensboro
Tennessee    
Virginia    
Iowa St    
Kansas St    
IU    
Marquette    
Gonzaga    
Xavier    

23 hours ago, LIHoosier said:

Depends on who's ahead of us and what places are left. There's no good teams in the Northeast to go to Albany and there's no where in Texas or the Plains for all the Big 12 teams to go.

Teams   Places
Alabama   Birmingham
Houston   Des Moines
Purdon't   Orlando
Kansas   Sacramento
Texas   Albany
Arizona   Columbus
Baylor   Denver
UCLA   Greensboro
Tennessee    
Virginia    
Iowa St    
Kansas St    
IU    
Marquette    
Gonzaga    
Xavier    

It was so much easier to keep track before they went to the pod system. If you were in the Midwest region you new you would be in one of the sites in the Midwest 

Being off tomorrow for Presidents Day I had some fun with Barttorvik. Tonsoni said this on the Assembly Call episode Saturday, but IU at worst is going to be a 5 seed..unless they crap the bed and lose out. If they split (which most expect) IU is probably a 4 seed. To be a 3 IU needs to split and win a couple games in the BTT OR win at least 3/4 and don't have a bad loss in the BTT. IF IU won all 4 regular season games and won the BTT, they're still a 3 seed. As much as I want them to win the BTT, rest might be more important if they've locked a 3 seed up.  (EX: they don't get the double bye, they'd play 4 straight days..no thanks). 

Honestly, not a bad place to be in at all considering Xavier Johnson has missed the majority of the season AND Race Thompson hasn't been right until now. That being said,  I don't want a 4 seed. I'm tired of really good IU teams getting a terrible matchup. It happened in 2012 with UK and 2016 with UNC. IU had a 4/5 seed those seasons. They had some really silly losses that prevented them from being a 3 seed with a better "draw". This team had a rough 3 game stretch that is going to prevent them from getting a better seed. 

4 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Being off tomorrow for Presidents Day I had some fun with Barttorvik. Tonsoni said this on the Assembly Call episode Saturday, but IU at worst is going to be a 5 seed..unless they crap the bed and lose out. If they split (which most expect) IU is probably a 4 seed. To be a 3 IU needs to split and win a couple games in the BTT OR win at least 3/4 and don't have a bad loss in the BTT. IF IU won all 4 regular season games and won the BTT, they're still a 3 seed. As much as I want them to win the BTT, rest might be more important if they've locked a 3 seed up.  (EX: they don't get the double bye, they'd play 4 straight days..no thanks). 

Honestly, not a bad place to be in at all considering Xavier Johnson has missed the majority of the season AND Race Thompson hasn't been right until now. That being said,  I don't want a 4 seed. I'm tired of really good IU teams getting a terrible matchup. It happened in 2012 with UK and 2016 with UNC. IU had a 4/5 seed those seasons. They had some really silly losses that prevented them from being a 3 seed with a better "draw". This team had a rough 3 game stretch that is going to prevent them from getting a better seed. 

After these last 20 years + of suffering I am just tickled to be comfortably in the damn thing.  

7 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I’d rather be a 4 seed and see the team get some rest, if that is the choice.  The difference between a 3/4 seed is marginal—similar to the difference between an 8/9.  

I’d love to win the BTT but I’d rather be fresh for the real tourney. 

6 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I’d rather be a 4 seed and see the team get some rest, if that is the choice.  The difference between a 3/4 seed is marginal—similar to the difference between an 8/9.  

I’d love to win the BTT but I’d rather be fresh for the real tourney. 

I'd like to win the BTT just to get rid of the goose egg, aside from that I don't really care about it.

Just now, lillurk said:

I think winning the BTT would be a nice trophy for the case, but getting a 3 seed would be more important imho. It’s not always this way but avoiding a 1 seed as long as possible, plus avoiding a 4/5 matchup the first weekend, is a big deal.

Matchups are more important the seeding when it comes to the tourney.   If you get a good draw it doesn’t matter the seed.   Honestly this year more than any year there is much separation from the top teams.  Usually at this time there are only a handful of teams that are legitimate contenders for a national title.  This year I would put that number at double digits.   

if IU were to win out and win the B1G tourney they are going to be a 2 seed.   Winning out means you win at Purdue(5) and Sparty(40) and 2 other solid Q2 games.   Plus 3 more Q1 games in the B1G tourney most likely.   If Purdue was a team you beat on that path that would be 3 wins against a top 5 NET team 2 or which were away from home.    UCLA is a 2 seed right now according to the committee and they have 2 wins against the field as of today (Maryland and Kentucky).    If IU won out and that’s a big if since committee already had them at the 13th overall resume they would really have a great shot at moving up 5 spots to the last 2 seed spot.  Not happening but 2 seed technically is still In play in my opinion 

Committee had Houston has the 2nd 1 seed.    The last game Houston played against a tournament quality team was Dec 17th.   You could say Memphis yesterday but they are a bubble team at best and they were playing without Davis.   Houston is good but if I’m a 4 seed I’m not mad that I got put in their bracket.