Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Bracketology and Team Resumes

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Basketball gods would do this site nice to have Wyoming play IU in the first 4.   That was a fun debate earlier in the year.  Although I really would rather IU not be in the first 4 since I will be going both days 

A good first hand chance to scout Ike and possibly talk him into transferring!

12 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

Updated Lunardi: SMU knocks us out of the last 4 in and we are now in the First 4 out

I know its just Lunardi but I don’t see SMU being a tournament team (not making a case for us necessarily either). Best wins against Memphis and Houston. A few bad losses.  Unimpressive

The committee has to select 36 at-large teams.  Each year I study the bottom of the bubble I get a headache lol.   All these teams have flaws and there is a reason why they are in this position.  Trying to figure it out is fun (less fun when the team your invested in is on it).  Just got to look at what the committee has done in the past and go from there in trying to separate them.  Committee has 12 members now instead of 10 so 2 more sets of eyeballs that go into the selection.  lately there seems to be a team that no one sees getting left out and a surprise team ends up making it.   Louisville last year was in a lot of peoples projections and Wichita St wasn’t hardly in any 

7 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

That was a big surprise in my opinion 

Biggest surprise for me was in 2016 when Tulsa got selected.   If I’m remembering right I didn’t even have them in my first 8 out.   At least last year some bracketologist had Wichita St in but back in 2016 I don’t any of one had Tulsa in any projections 

I’m Going to break down IU’s regular season and do a deeper  dive into it.   That’s your warning if you don’t want to see it stop reading. 

Conference 

IU finished 18-12 (9-11)           9th 

Eastern Michigan (9-21)  11th out of 12

N  Illinois (9-21)                 10th out of 12 

St Johns (16-14)                7th out of 10

Louisiana (14-14)             8th out of 12

Jackson St(11-18)              6th out of 12

Marshal (9-20)         12 out of 14 

Cuse (15-16).              9 out of 15 

2- Nebraska (10-21)      14th

2-  Wisky (24-6)     T-1

Merrimack (13-16)      4th out of 10

Notre Dame (21-9)   T-2

N Kentucky (17-11)  3rd

2- Penn St (12-16)        11th

2- Ohio st (19-10)      6th 

2- Minny(13-16)       13 

iowa (22-9)       5

2-Purdue (25-6)     3

Michigan (17-13)  8th 

2-Maryland (15-16)  10

Illinois- (22-8)     T-1

Northwestern(13-15)     12th

Sparty(20-11)     7th 

Rutgers(18-12)     4th 

In the non conference IU only won 3 games against teams that finished with a winning record 

In conference play IU only won 2 games against teams that finished with a winning record 

Not pretty but there are the regular season results.     

8 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I’m Going to break down IU’s regular season and do a deeper  dive into it.   That’s your warning if you don’t want to see it stop reading. 

I made the mistake of reading first, then realizing I didn't want to see it. 

14 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Winning 1 more probably puts them in the last 4 in and leave it in the hands of bid stealers and the committee.   If they only win 1 more game I can see the arguments for leaving them in or leaving them out.  Bubble teams that put themselves in this position just have to deal with the results.  If IU was to win 2 games they would be locked in the field in my opinion 

Question for you since you're way more educated on this stuff. Louisiana is in their conference final tonight and Northern Kentucky is in their semis tonight. If both of them win their conference titles would that give us 2 more wins against the field in the eyes of the committee or do they just cast that to the side? 

*sad for us that I even thought to ask that question lol

Just now, IU_FanClub said:

Question for you since you're way more educated on this stuff. Louisiana is in their conference final tonight and Northern Kentucky is in their semis tonight. If both of them win their conference titles would that give us 2 more wins against the field in the eyes of the committee or do they just cast that to the side? 

*sad for us that I even thought to ask that question lol

Yes that would be 2 wins against the field 

1 minute ago, IU_FanClub said:

But I'm assuming they wouldn't carry as much weight against a win against an at large 10 seed or something like that right?

You are correct.    Just another piece of the puzzle  some members might take into account when comparing teams that are similar.   Definitely not a big factor in the overall selection  

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Just looked at Lunardi and now last 4 in.

Xavier

Rutgers

Wyoming

IU.

UM is in last 4 byes.

Joe is like 55th in being most accurate in brackets. I wouldn't put too much stock into him specifically. 

IU is at least in a better spot than BYU,  BYU can not improve their resume any more.  I think right now the last spot is between IU and SMU (SMU, while not having great wins, did accumulate wins).

IU beating Michigan would do more to improve their resume than SMU beating Wichita St or Tulsa.  Hope for Wichita State to beat Tulsa as the Shockers are better.

Oklahoma is still a little scary.  They ran three wins off against the bottom of the Big 12 to get to 17-14.  Think they play Baylor in the first round of the Big 12 tourney if I am correct.  If Oklahoma won that, I think they are in.  But that's a tall task.

Am really interested to see how Houston and Alabama get seeded.  Complete opposites....one didn't have that tough of a schedule or rack up quad 1 wins, but is third in NET while the other played an incredibly tough schedule and racked up some losses because of it.  IMO, Alabama should be seeded ahead of Houston.

2 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Can't wait to spend the next 3 days analyzing our path to the tournament and getting optimistic just so we can get kicked in the groin again Thursday. 

that was me last week prior to the rutgers game. Trying to just stay away from it this week and not get my hopes up.

I'll be studying the NIT bracketology instead lol

4 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Conference 

IU finished 18-12 (9-11)           9th 

Eastern Michigan (9-21)  11th out of 12

N  Illinois (9-21)                 10th out of 12 

St Johns (16-14)                7th out of 10

Louisiana (14-14)             8th out of 12

Jackson St(11-18)              6th out of 12

Marshal (9-20)         12 out of 14 

Cuse (15-16).              9 out of 15 

2- Nebraska (10-21)      14th

2-  Wisky (24-6)     T-1

Merrimack (13-16)      4th out of 10

Notre Dame (21-9)   T-2

N Kentucky (17-11)  3rd

2- Penn St (12-16)        11th

2- Ohio st (19-10)      6th 

2- Minny(13-16)       13 

iowa (22-9)       5

2-Purdue (25-6)     3

Michigan (17-13)  8th 

2-Maryland (15-16)  10

Illinois- (22-8)     T-1

Northwestern(13-15)     12th

Sparty(20-11)     7th 

Rutgers(18-12)     4th 

In the non conference IU only won 3 games against teams that finished with a winning record 

In conference play IU only won 2 games against teams that finished with a winning record 

Not pretty but there are the regular season results.     

Man…O$U faltering down the stretch and out of the top 25 hurts us a little. Blowing that game in Madison hurts us the most. Had we not engaged in that epic collapse, I think we’d almost surely be playing for seeding  right now.  

That game will haunt me for a while. Let’s hope it doesn’t come back to haunt the team.