Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Bracketology and Team Resumes

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

So just looking at the remainder of our schedule from a Quad perspective... 

We'd do ourselves such a huge favor to win at least one of those quad 1 games (and not lose to MN or MSU). If we went 2-4 (excluding make ups) and both wins were a quad 2 and 3 win, I think that would make us 2-11 in quad 1. Yikes. 3-10 isn't much better but I think that would give us a combined 9-11 record in quads 1/2 which would get us in. (Set aside that just getting in should NOT have been the goal this year). But Providence is dangerously close to becoming a quad 3 win now. Stanford could do us a favor by finishing strong. Ultimately we play in a league where nearly every night is a huge opportunity. I'd love to know @Uspshoosier's opinion on if we end the regular season at 13-12 with our quad 1 record 2-11 and quad 2 record 7-0? 

13 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

We'd do ourselves such a huge favor to win at least one of those quad 1 games (and not lose to MN or MSU). If we went 2-4 (excluding make ups) and both wins were a quad 2 and 3 win, I think that would make us 2-11 in quad 1. Yikes. 3-10 isn't much better but I think that would give us a combined 9-11 record in quads 1/2 which would get us in. (Set aside that just getting in should NOT have been the goal this year). But Providence is dangerously close to becoming a quad 3 win now. Stanford could do us a favor by finishing strong. Ultimately we play in a league where nearly every night is a huge opportunity. I'd love to know @Uspshoosier's opinion on if we end the regular season at 13-12 with our quad 1 record 2-11 and quad 2 record 7-0? 

A combined 9-11 Q1 and 2 in normal years would get a team in.  13-12 in a normal year would be 18-12 or 19-12 depending on the number of buy games they would play.   IU was fortunate this year and played all of their power 5 non conference games.  This year is just too hard to gauge what the committee will do when comparing teams that actually challenged themselves and those who opted out of power 5 non conference opponents and loaded up on cupcakes( hello Arkansas and Minny)   Saturday the committee releases its top 16 and that will give us a clue as to what they are thinking.    

51 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I think right now we're good. I think we can play with any of the teams on our remaining schedule except Michigan. I could be way off, but I think we'll give OSU fits. I think we'll take either PU or Rutgers. It's just a really screwy year. And we're so inconsistent I could see us tanking most of the games, or I could see things coming together and getting on a little run. 

Not saying playing in Indy for the tourney is a huge advantage for us, or that home state really makes a difference this year, but it would be a real shame if we missed the dance this year. It's such a weird year all around. Would anyone ever think we'd ever see a year where UNC, Kansas, Duke, KY, Louisville, etc. were all out of the top 25? I think we'll see some strange stuff when the dance starts. It would be really nice to be able to get on a run right now and take that into the post season.

Time is running out to re-schedule postponed games.

Our remaining schedule:

• 13th @O$U
  • 17th Minny
  • 20th MSU
  • 24th @Rutgers
  • 27th Michigan
  • 3/6 @PUke
  • 3/10 B1G Tournament starts
Michigan has missed 5 conference games:  @PSU; IU; @NW; MSU; Illinois
  • 14th @Wisky
  • 18th Rutgers
  • 21st @ O$U
  • 27th @IU
  • 3/4 Iowa
  • 3/7 @MSU

Michigan State has missed 2 conference games:  IU and @Michigan

• 13th Iowa
  • 16th @PUke
  • 20th @IU
  • 23rd Illinois
  • 25th O$U
  • 28th @Maryland
  • 3/7 Michigan

29 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

Any chance we will make up the Michigan State Game too?

We could play a back to back on Saturday/Sunday when they come to Bloomington. There is, for the most part, enough time on both sides of that weekend for both teams to make it happen if they really want to get games made up. Of course, that will never happen. And honestly, if MSU is still a quad 3 opponent by playing them at home, I don't really want to play them twice there. I have talked myself into and out of doing this in 4 sentences. Carry on. 

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/30302581/the-varying-states-ncaa-tournament-bracketology

Latest from ESPN.

"in" in the 68/64 team bracket

"out" (last 4 out) in the 48 team bracket.

Also, reminder, 1st bracket preview will be tomorrow.

NCAA March Madness Bracket Preview

• When: Saturday, 12:30 p.m. ET
  • TV: CBS and CBS All Access    
  • StreamingfuboTV (try for free)

Note: At 1 p.m. coverage of the "NCAA March Madness Bracket Preview" will continue on CBS Sports Network (stream with authentication) with a 30-minute show as Gumbel, Kellogg, Davis and Palm will provide more in-depth conversation and project out the remainder of the 68-team bracket, analyze bubble teams and highlight key storylines as March rapidly approaches.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-march-madness-bracket-preview-to-reveal-official-2021-ncaa-tournament-early-top-16-seeds-saturday/

This is how I have it entering today’s top 16 reveal 

1.Zags

2. Baylor 

3. Ohio St 

4. Michigan 

5. Nova 

6. Illinois 

7.  West Virginia 

8. Alabama 

9.  Virginia 

10.  Tennessee 

11.  Houston 

12.  Missouri 

13.  Texas Tech 

14. Oklahoma 

15.  Texas 

16.  Iowa 

Wisky, Florida St, Kansas knocking on the door.   I think they might surprise and add USC.     What they do with Michigan is what I’m interested in.    Other teams have played more games and have improved their resume while Michigan has been sitting idle with the same resume.  This is why I move Ohio St in front of them 

On 2/4/2021 at 4:31 PM, Uspshoosier said:

Where things stand for IU on Feb 3

9-8

NET-48

Q1-(1-7)   3 road losses(4,16,26) with 2 of those in OT,  3 Home losses(4 in OT, 25,29), 1 neutral loss(17),   road win(6)

Q2-(4-0) 2 home wins(32,37), 2 Neutral wins(58,86)

Q3-(2-1) road win(170), Neutral win(131), home loss(85)

Q4- 2-0

KenPom-27

Torvik-31

sagarin-28

BPI-28

SOS- 9(kenPom and espn)

Remaining scheduled games

Home-Iowa(6), Minny(49), Sparty(93), Michigan(3)

Road-northwestern(85), Ohio St(12), Rutgers(29), Purdue(25)

2 road games against Sparty and Michigan if they get made up.(These games could become very important )

For now with these numbers IU would be in the tournament if the tournament started today.   The computer numbers like IU more then their record would show.   When looking at their overall record  remember the committee still has to field a bracket with 36(37 this year) at large teams.  IU is still one them as of today.    Where things will get interesting will be in how the committee views each teams schedules.   Will they penalize teams for skipping out on their non conference and feasting on cupcakes or will they penalize teams that played a tougher schedule and how more losses.  No one knows the answer to this yet.    iu playing in the B1G is a curse and a blessing.    Regardless of me thinking they would be one of the 37  at-large teams if they losses keep piling up then it wont matter and they will miss out.  However if they put together a little winning streak with the remaining games they will solidify their spot.   There is a chance teams will get in with a .500 record this year.    Hopefully they are not one of the teams that will test this out. 

IU was definitely in better shape last year so far then they are this year but the opportunities are in front of them.

Bracket matrix has IU current as second highest 10 seed in average bracket and in the tournament in 98 of the 102 posted brackets.

30 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

This is how I have it entering today’s top 16 reveal 

1.Zags

2. Baylor 

3. Ohio St 

4. Michigan 

5. Nova 

6. Illinois 

7.  West Virginia 

8. Alabama 

9.  Virginia 

10.  Tennessee 

11.  Houston 

12.  Missouri 

13.  Texas Tech 

14. Oklahoma 

15.  Texas 

16.  Iowa 

Wisky, Florida St, Kansas knocking on the door.   I think they might surprise and add USC.     What they do with Michigan is what I’m interested in.    Other teams have played more games and have improved their resume while Michigan has been sitting idle with the same resume.  This is why I move Ohio St in front of them 

An IU perspective:

If perchance we pull an upset today, we will currently be above .500 in the best conference by far (with two current #1 seeds) and with three wins over the top 16. That seems like a far better resume than a ten seed.

Seems like we might want to start talking about whether we actually have tangible results at that point.

24 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

An IU perspective:

If perchance we pull an upset today, we will currently be above .500 in the best conference by far (with two current #1 seeds) and with three wins over the top 16. That seems like a far better resume than a ten seed.

Seems like we might want to start talking about whether we actually have tangible results at that point.

As long as IU is .500 or above for the year I believe they are in the tournament this year.   Heck lunardi did a Q and A yesterday and basically said it they win another +game and avoid a bad loss he would call them a lock.    

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

As long as IU is .500 or above for the year I believe they are in the tournament this year.   Heck lunardi did a Q and A yesterday and basically said it they win another +game and avoid a bad loss he would call them a lock.    

And that does not sound like a bubble team. Especially in light of this IU team’s arguable best quality; grinding out wins after things go to crap.

Just now, Stuhoo said:

And that does not sound like a bubble team. Especially in light of this IU team’s arguable best quality; grinding out wins after things go to crap.

Yep.  Definitely an interesting year.   I really looking forward to the top 16 reveal today and the Q and A the committee will do with different media outlets.