Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Bracketology and Team Resumes

The randomness I am referring to comes from how horribly rating teams are on the NET....which creates a double edged sword since it then a team rated incorrectly rewards/punishes their opponents as well.
Simply put, I'm not going to be convinced that Minnesota should be at 42 on the NET, Washington at 55, and Indiana at 60.  

Every metric has their outliers. Rpi had them, Ken Pom has them. Minny is 29th in Ken Pom. You just hope the committee uses it as a sorting tool like they say they will and reward the teams with the best resume

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Every metric has their outliers. Rpi had them, Ken Pom has them. Minny is 29th in Ken Pom. You just hope the committee uses it as a sorting tool like they say they will and reward the teams with the best resume

But Ken Pom flat out states that the NCAA misuses his tool.  It's not meant to be a tool used to pick teams for the tournament.   Wins and losses don't matter in Pom's ratings other than the statistics that are used to produce them.  It all basically comes down to net points scored in games.  

A Nebraska loss would certainly hurt the optics. I’m not convinced we get in if we lose that one.

Then again, as I’ve said before, if we lose that one we really don’t deserve it anyway.

Win vs Nebraska, I think we will be a 10 seed.

Win vs Penn State, probably a 9.

A loss and we our hanging by a thread.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

5 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Curious as to where Lunardi has us now. If we were on his bubble did we fall lower with the loss?

11 Seed - Play in Game vs Stanford.

Last 4 In... just above Texas & NC State from missing the cut.

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

But Ken Pom flat out states that the NCAA misuses his tool.  It's not meant to be a tool used to pick teams for the tournament.   Wins and losses don't matter in Pom's ratings other than the statistics that are used to produce them.  It all basically comes down to net points scored in games.  

What I don't like about that is it promotes running the score up and unfairly counts those wins which are usually outliers compared to the rest of the schedule which for some teams is losing a lot of close yet winnable games.

I’ve been thinking lately about the zero bad losses thing and our NET 60 ranking. Yes, the Hoosiers don’t have any Q3/Q4 losses but the rankings must take scores into account. Sadly, the Hoosiers have gotten flat out embarrassed a few times and that’s gotta be what’s pulling em down. 24 points to Michigan, 20 to Wisco, 16 to MD, 15 to PSU, 12 at home to Purdue are just flat out bad. Yes, I think this Hoosier team is way better than they’re getting national credit for, but I just wish they would’ve showed up with some more of the fight we’ve seen recently in those games. Would have gone a long way.

1 hour ago, LIHoosier said:

What I don't like about that is it promotes running the score up and unfairly counts those wins which are usually outliers compared to the rest of the schedule which for some teams is losing a lot of close yet winnable games.

And those last minute baskets that have no bearing all of a sudden have a bearing on the ratings.  For instance, IU hit a a couple of late meaningless threes at the end of the game at Ohio State and ended up losing at Ohio State by 9.....which isn't a good showing, but certainly better than a 15 point loss.  Conversely, Minnesota hit a meaningless buzzer three against IU to lose by 5 instead of 8.

Funny how Archie's rant against Joe Lunardi is still getting air play and twitter takes from Dan Dakich and Seth Davis.  

Get thicker skin already......if Lunardi wanted to keep it in the spotlight, he's more than capable of doing so himself.  Dakich and Davis seem to be the kind of kids you remember from high school who tell their friend who isn't looking for a fight "are you going to let him get away with that?"

3 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

They’ll use it as a sorting tool all right...one that’s sorts us along with the group of have nots (unless we beat Penn St, or they are desperate to find winning teams). Conference entries get political, with in my guess, the ACC and SEC having the most clout. With both having seriously down years, they will look to cover by promo’ing there teams - even crappy ones. If 10 B1G teams get in - that is 71% of a 14 member conference. That’s too much perception of power - the ACC can’t have it!!! Guess who’s in 10th place?

They’ll use it as a sorting tool all right...one that’s sorts us along with the group of have nots (unless we beat Penn St, or they are desperate to find winning teams). Conference entries get political, with in my guess, the ACC and SEC having the most clout. With both having seriously down years, they will look to cover by promo’ing there teams - even crappy ones. If 10 B1G teams get in - that is 71% of a 14 member conference. That’s too much perception of power - the ACC can’t have it!!! Guess who’s in 10th place?

Not worried about that at all. On the flip side of the conspiracy theories other fan bases will say if IU is close to getting in that the committee will put them in because if IU is in the tournament then they will make them more money then any other bubble team

4 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

A Nebraska loss would certainly hurt the optics. I’m not convinced we get in if we lose that one.

Then again, as I’ve said before, if we lose that one we really don’t deserve it anyway.

Win vs Nebraska, I think we will be a 10 seed.

Win vs Penn State, probably a 9.

A loss and we our hanging by a thread.

If we win the tournament, Ken Pom will probably put Purdue in the top 15.

1 hour ago, Deserthoozier said:

The Big East is ranked lower than the Big Ten and 7 of their 10 members are in the conversation for getting in with 6 being locks already.

Here is a question that I don't know the answer to:  has any team beaten both an ACC and Big Ten regular season champion and not made the tournament?  IU did it.

43 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

The Big East is ranked lower than the Big Ten and 7 of their 10 members are in the conversation for getting in with 6 being locks already.

Here is a question that I don't know the answer to:  has any team beaten both an ACC and Big Ten regular season champion and not made the tournament?  IU did it.

The 2020 Committee...’Hold our beers....’