Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

LIHoosier

IU Football Ranked!

44 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

Wisconsin’s 7-5 team playing in and winning the 2012 Big Ten championship isn’t considered fake so why should this one be?

Next year we can just play Rutgers, Maryland, Michigan St, Illinois, Nebraska and Purdue...cancel our other games, be undefeated and claim to be national champions. 
The more I think about this the more ridiculous it appears. Yea, we lost to Ohio St, by a one score, on the road, after they got an extra week to prepare and rest for this game. We didn’t have the luxury of playing at home after essentially a bye week and it obviously showed in the first half. Media types and conference ADs are just so desperate to make a case for OSU they don’t even bother to be objective anymore. 

**** them!

IF the rules that were established are actually followed and we go to Indy to play Northwestern AND win let them say whatever the **** they want.  That Big Ten Championship trophy will be in Btown and they can go **** themselves.  I really wouldn't expect O$U to understand and follow rules though.

Rant start

Now that I've had some time to think about this I've realized something.  Us Hoosier fans are now getting a taste of what it's like to be a good football team in the hunt and how incredibly awful the entire FBS/CFP system truly is.  Think about it.  This happens to a team every single year and this year it's our beloved Hoosiers.

I have zero doubt if PSU, Michigan or Wisconsin had the exact same record as what IU currently has they'd be ranked in the top 6.  Zero doubt what so ever.  

Bottom line, either OSU is worthy of a 4 ranking or they aren't.  The CFP committee can't have it both ways. 

Rant over

Congratulations on being ranked 12th in the CFP this week!  Go Hoosiers!  

Gee, that's surprising. Doing everything to accommodate O$U. Meanwhile, they're screwing us and to some extent, Northwestern. ... O$U can get to the CFP without a B1G title game appearance. But if we played NW, the winner would be league champ and be guaranteed a slot in a New Year's Six Bowl. As it stands now, if we beat/play PU, then Iowa, we'll probably have a nice date in the Citrus Bowl or Outback Bowl -- whoop-de-do!

If NW somehow finishes with more points than O$U next weekend, my guess is the B1G will change the rule that says you need to outscore the other team to win a game. 

1 minute ago, jbell833 said:

The committee is a JOKE! #4 strength of record and don’t even want to put us in a NY6 Bowl. Absolutely absurd.

D55DEFE4-3FCB-407D-9E5C-93284FE7405B.jpeg

Man, I never thought in a million years I'd see something like this.  To top it off, it looks like the state of Indiana is actually a football state!  LOL!

Quick question here, what does that mean, strength of record?

3 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

The committee is a JOKE! #4 strength of record and don’t even want to put us in a NY6 Bowl. Absolutely absurd.

D55DEFE4-3FCB-407D-9E5C-93284FE7405B.jpeg

If only IU was a name brand and had a loss to some unworthy team while no quality wins they'd be ranked higher!  **** the Big Ten and **** the CFP

I'm going to rant about this until I get it out of my system but..

I wouldn't be shocked to see the ACC and $EC get two teams in each to show up the Big Ten for trying to cancel the season.  If they don't get a second team in I'd expect a shitty Big 12 team getting in just to prove a point. **** the CFP

Earmuffs and blinders on!! They were either going to change the rules of change the schedules so OSU got a 6th game this weekend. It sucks and I think its bulls%&t. I'm choosing to tell myself that we unfortunately lost our chance to beat OSU and OSU would not have lost any of the games that were cancelled. I'd take a chance at the Big Ten title every single day of the week, no matter how it came our way. But I'm also choosing to tell myself, and this is even more true, that it doesn't change anything about how special this season has been and can continue to be. We need to stay absolutely laser focused on Purdue. If the game is played, use the motivation to make a statement. Then remain absolutely laser focused on Iowa or whoever we get that next week. If we do, and we pull out two more wins, the committee simply cannot keep us out of a New Year's six bowl. One of Iowa State or Oklahoma would drop below us with a 3rd loss in their title game. Miami has a very tough game this weekend. Georgia has a bit of a tough game this weekend but even if they win out I cannot see the committee picking a fourth SEC team over a 2nd Big Ten team. Winning 2 more games only moves us up. Sure USC could win out and maybe jump us. But win 2 more and I can't see us being ranked less than #10 or so in the final rankings, virtually guaranteeing a bowl game that no one dreamed of happening any time soon. Earmuffs and blinders on!!!

3 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Earmuffs and blinders on!! They were either going to change the rules of change the schedules so OSU got a 6th game this weekend. It sucks and I think its bulls%&t. I'm choosing to tell myself that we unfortunately lost our chance to beat OSU and OSU would not have lost any of the games that were cancelled. I'd take a chance at the Big Ten title every single day of the week, no matter how it came our way. But I'm also choosing to tell myself, and this is even more true, that it doesn't change anything about how special this season has been and can continue to be. We need to stay absolutely laser focused on Purdue. If the game is played, use the motivation to make a statement. Then remain absolutely laser focused on Iowa or whoever we get that next week. If we do, and we pull out two more wins, the committee simply cannot keep us out of a New Year's six bowl. One of Iowa State or Oklahoma would drop below us with a 3rd loss in their title game. Miami has a very tough game this weekend. Georgia has a bit of a tough game this weekend but even if they win out I cannot see the committee picking a fourth SEC team over a 2nd Big Ten team. Winning 2 more games only moves us up. Sure USC could win out and maybe jump us. But win 2 more and I can't see us being ranked less than #10 or so in the final rankings, virtually guaranteeing a bowl game that no one dreamed of happening any time soon. Earmuffs and blinders on!!!

What in the **** has Mizzou done to get ranked this week?!  They barely beat South Carolina, Arkansas, and LSU.  They got handled by Tennessee.  Let's rank them!

1 hour ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Next year we can just play Rutgers, Maryland, Michigan St, Illinois, Nebraska and Purdue...cancel our other games, be undefeated and claim to be national champions. 
The more I think about this the more ridiculous it appears. Yea, we lost to Ohio St, by a one score, on the road, after they got an extra week to prepare and rest for this game. We didn’t have the luxury of playing at home after essentially a bye week and it obviously showed in the first half. Media types and conference ADs are just so desperate to make a case for OSU they don’t even bother to be objective anymore. 

All-animals.png

1 hour ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Now things change a bit since the Bucket game is off. I for one hope we still get Iowa next week. Beating Purdue next week won't move the needle anymore for us and would give too much opportunity for other teams to jump or stay ahead of us in the final rankings. We need Iowa, or a lot of other help, to stay in the mix for a New Year's 6 bowl now. 

And yes, I'm quoting my own post, thus having an internet conversation with myself. 

I started to look into scenarios for NY6 bowls today. I ended up typing things into a google doc just to keep my thoughts somewhere. Thought I’d post it, then realized it’s nearly 2 full pages. The TL/DR version: we’d be incredibly grateful if Miami and Georgia lost this weekend. We should hope to draw Iowa next week AND that the game happens and of course that we win. Coastal losing would help and Iowa St winning the Big 12 championship would make things less complicated. 

1 hour ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I started to look into scenarios for NY6 bowls today. I ended up typing things into a google doc just to keep my thoughts somewhere. Thought I’d post it, then realized it’s nearly 2 full pages. The TL/DR version: we’d be incredibly grateful if Miami and Georgia lost this weekend. We should hope to draw Iowa next week AND that the game happens and of course that we win. Coastal losing would help and Iowa St winning the Big 12 championship would make things less complicated. 

If Miami losses North Carolina will become the "greatest 3 loss team even!" and jump us in the polls, even with a horrible loss to the worst team in the ACC (1 win FSU).  They have another loss to a .500 UVA team and they didn't get blown out by Notre Dame!  They have one good win against NC State in a shootout.

If Miami wins they'll jump Georgia and Cincinnati and be out of reach for us the rest of the season.

Georgia won't lose.  Mizzou has struggled against anyone in the $EC not named Vandy.  They were placed in the CFB top 25 as an $EC team that doesn't entirely suck and we need to get another $EC team in the polls to show how awesome the $EC is!

I don't know anything about Troy but can't see Coastal losing that game.

I'm still baffled by Iowa State and Oklahoma.  Whichever one of those teams loses SHOULD drop quite a bit but the CFP has shown they love them some Big 12 and I could see Iowa State sticking around with a loss.

We just need to hope that we get Iowa and can make a statement.  I doubt the committee would do much if IU just barely squeezed by Iowa.  The goalpost would move to "yeah, but they barely beat a team with a winning record."

Alright, trimmed it down a bit (hah!), so here's the whole damn thing. A couple people have mentioned Troy being Coastal's opponent. I don't expect they lose that one, but they will play LA-Lafayette in their conference title game. That said, my apologies for the length:

Best case scenario for us: Miami and Georgia to lose this weekend. If that happens, and nothing else crazy happens (NW beating OSU) I cannot imagine being left out of the NY6 bowls. It may not even be worth playing Iowa (or whoever we get). Even more best case is if both Cincy and Coastal lose in their conference championship games. That way they can only take one of them. 

If Georgia and Miami win out, they likely stay ahead of us. One of USC/Colorado/Washington will get the Pac-12 champion spot. One of Iowa State/Oklahoma will stay ahead of us. Though we likely should just hope Iowa St wins. A 3 loss Oklahoma definitely falls behind us. If Oklahoma wins but it's very close, I can see the committee keeping Iowa St. ahead of us. If Cincy and Coastal both win out, they’ll both have another win over a ranked team (Tulsa and LA-Lafayette, respectively) and I absolutely think the committee will bump the darling story of Coastal ahead of us, unless we play and beat Iowa. 

There are 9 spots in the NY6 virtually locked up. Bama, Clemson, ND, OSU, A&M, Florida, Iowa St./Oklahoma winner, Cincy or Coastal, and the Pac-12 champ. That leaves 3 spots to be claimed by any of: Georgia, Miami, Indiana, NW, Iowa St if they lose very closely in the Big 12 title game, the lower ranked of Coastal and Cincy if they win out. 

If NW beats OSU, they will jump ahead of us regardless of who we play and beat and I really don’t think 3 B1G teams get in the NY6. Unlikely, but not completely out of the question. Here’s why I think we need to hope for a game with Iowa, hope the game is actually played and obviously we need to win. If we end up not playing b/c of COVID, or we get Purdue and beat them, the needle doesn’t move for us at all. There is a bit of a catch 22 with Iowa playing Wisky this weekend. Obviously the committee didn’t value our win at Wisky much. If Iowa beats them, they’ll value it even less, but gives us a chance to beat an even stronger Iowa team. If Wisky wins, unfortunately beating Iowa wouldn’t be as valuable but maybe elevating our Wisky win a bit. 

The only scenarios I can see a 7-1 Indiana get left out of the NY6 bowls: 

NW beats OSU, Cincy and Coastal win out handily, Miami and Georgia win out, Oklahoma beats Iowa St. by 1 on a last minute drive. If that happens, I think the final standings look like this:

Bama - Clemson - A&M - ND - FL - Cincy - OSU - GA - Miami - Oklahoma - NW - Iowa St - USC - Coastal - IU

Assuming OSU beats NW, shuffle the top to have OSU in the playoff, and drop NW out. If everything else happens, I still think we get left out. Now, if Oklahoma wins by 2 touchdowns, I think Iowa St. definitely drops below us (they likely drop below us even with the close loss, but I’m playing devil’s advocate there). But we would still have to hope the committee chose us over the darling story of undefeated Coastal at that point. 

But if we play and lose to Iowa, all this is moot, and we probably end up in the Music City bowl. Which, of course is this guy’s absolute dream scenario…..except for this year. Of course it would be the most Indiana football thing to happen for the first time we make the Music City bowl, it would actually be a disappointment and in a year that I may not even be able to go.