Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mdn82

Bye bye amateurism

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/27957981/ncaa-votes-allow-athletes-profit-likeness

They say they will keep it within their current model. There is no way that’s possible. Once they allow them to get paid they can’t cap what a kid can be paid.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

There’s no way this works without caps. Boosters will be giving out $100k checks for an autograph from a prized recruit. I’m all for allowing kids to make money but this isn’t even a slippery slope...it’s a free fall into a situation where the best players will only play for pay. 

There’s no way this works without caps. Boosters will be giving out $100k checks for an autograph from a prized recruit. I’m all for allowing kids to make money but this isn’t even a slippery slope...it’s a free fall into a situation where the best players will only play for pay. 

You really think caps can work in a non unionized atmosphere? I don’t.

6 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

You really think caps can work in a non unionized atmosphere? I don’t.

I honestly don’t know but if there are zero perimeters around how much a kid can make on “his likeness” then there’s no way to ensure that’s even what is going on. This looks like shoe companies and boosters will be able to funnel top talent to the school of their liking and that would be a disaster for the sport. 

I honestly don’t know but if there are zero perimeters around how much a kid can make on “his likeness” then there’s no way to ensure that’s even what is going on. This looks like shoe companies and boosters will be able to funnel top talent to the school of their liking and that would be a disaster for the sport. 
We will see. Still have 4 years before the California law comes into play

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is what they have been doing. The California bill set this in motion. The NCAA lost. They can’t control this any longer. If they try and limit something they aren’t paying out, I don’t see that lasting in court. Unless they say the athletes are employees of the school they can’t effectively limit what a kid can make after this.

Does this help us with Garcia?  Gotta think our boosters will offer more than Marquette 

He should be here in 2021. I think our program money wise can compete with anyone if the playing field is even. I think our football program might be hurt by something like this. But basketball wise? I don’t see how this hurts us unless Glass effectively says no. He or the President have the ability to write something specific to this.

A few observations: 1) I think there will be unintended/unforeseen consequences from this move. I don't claim to know exactly what those are...but.....

2) I think it will actually only benefit the select few- likely the same ones that benefit from the current recruiting process, ie top level, high visibility guys. The 6th man for Univ of Toledo isn't getting any windfall from this. Neither is the left tackle at Boise St. Big name players will....just like they do now. That is how markets work. 

3) If these are the new rules I hope/expect IU to maximize the opportunity. Everyone that advertises at IU events should pony up! Let's dazzle the 2021 class with an offer they can't refuse!

Any changes are still a long way off.  The NCAA Board of Governors can't vote to change any by-laws and they've merely directed DI, DII and DIII to do that.  Getting a consensus on just what by-law changes to make isn't going to happen overnight and could well get pretty contentious.  There will be a lot of different agendas that will have to be dealt with.

This imo is a bad thing. This is also NCAA trying to avoid dealing with another major scandal down the road cause they cant control this any longer

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

I wonder if it has more to do with the FBI cases as a way to not completely annihilate multiple programs. That was my first thought. Hope I am wrong.

Any changes are still a long way off.  The NCAA Board of Governors can't vote to change any by-laws and they've merely directed DI, DII and DIII to do that.  Getting a consensus on just what by-law changes to make isn't going to happen overnight and could well get pretty contentious.  There will be a lot of different agendas that will have to be dealt with.

I agree. I was shocked when I saw their hopeful date of 2021. I can’t imagine they could have this all lined up and agreed upon by then.

5 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

A few observations: 1) I think there will be unintended/unforeseen consequences from this move. I don't claim to know exactly what those are...but.....

2) I think it will actually only benefit the select few- likely the same ones that benefit from the current recruiting process, ie top level, high visibility guys. The 6th man for Univ of Toledo isn't getting any windfall from this. Neither is the left tackle at Boise St. Big name players will....just like they do now. That is how markets work. 

3) If these are the new rules I hope/expect IU to maximize the opportunity. Everyone that advertises at IU events should pony up! Let's dazzle the 2021 class with an offer they can't refuse!

The star of any team is going to be able to benefit to some degree. Especially at. A place like Dayton where they love basketball. They will appear in local ads and make appearances. Maybe not six figures but enough to help their families if need be 

Another random thought of pure speculation.  Is this the type of action that could eventually lead to a splintering of the NCAA?  Do the very bottom tier of DI schools along with DII and DIII schools want to get caught up in this quagmire and ultimately determine going their own way is what's best for them?