Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Old Friend

Team Discipline

Mods, feel free to move this if needed; but the consistently horrible team discipline, especially by our defense is sickening.  There is a lot to like about IU football right now, but personal fouls, face masks, chirping, and the countless stupid penalties are becoming a real thorn in the team's side; and I'm personally sick of it.   Of all the reasons people have to be upset with Tom Allen, discipline is at the very top of my list.

I'm convinced a penalty cost us the Michigan State game, and a completely needless face mask cost us momentum on the road at Nebraska.   Time and again, needless and frequently stupid penalties cost this football team; and THAT is on Tom Allen.  For all of his antics, he should really take a hard look at the way his team (and especially his defense) plays.   It is sometimes embarrassing and frequently stupid.

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

It’s a delicate balance between unbridled aggression and discipline.

I’ll take the current version.

In my opinion, we are fundamentally unsound (which is why the facemask is a problem) and we make way too many mental mistakes.  Ramsey's pass that just got picked off?   Horrible decision. as an example.  And horrid execution.  How you throw behind a guy from 4 feet is beyond me, but I digress. Late hits, which seem to happen at least once a week.  Blocks in the back on every decent special teams return?   A facemask on 3rd and 17 on a tackle for loss?  To me, there is a consistent lack of discipline.

1 minute ago, Old Friend said:

In my opinion, we are fundamentally unsound (which is why the facemask is a problem) and we make way too many mental mistakes.  Ramsey's pass that just got picked off?   Horrible decision. as an example.  And horrid execution.  How you throw behind a guy from 4 feet is beyond me, but I digress. Late hits, which seem to happen at least once a week.  Blocks in the back on every decent special teams return?   A facemask on 3rd and 17 on a tackle for loss?  To me, there is a consistent lack of discipline.

Every single solitary thing you’re saying is absolutely true!

The problem is (in my opinion) when the team is slightly under talented and has to play a whole lot of inexperienced players, somethings got to give. That’s why I believe the trade-off is discipline or aggression. Experienced, more talented teams have a better capacity to have both of these positive attributes.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Every single solitary thing you’re saying is absolutely true!

The problem is (in my opinion) when the team is slightly under talented and has to play a whole lot of inexperienced players, somethings got to give. That’s why I believe the trade-off is discipline or aggression. Experienced, more talented teams have a better capacity to have both of these positive attributes.

Yeah, and that's true too; but it's not a new problem, which is why I said - while I disagree with some of the criticism of Tom Allen - this stuff?  Squarely on him.

53 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Mods, feel free to move this if needed; but the consistently horrible team discipline, especially by our defense is sickening.  There is a lot to like about IU football right now, but personal fouls, face masks, chirping, and the countless stupid penalties are becoming a real thorn in the team's side; and I'm personally sick of it.   Of all the reasons people have to be upset with Tom Allen, discipline is at the very top of my list.

I'm convinced a penalty cost us the Michigan State game, and a completely needless face mask cost us momentum on the road at Nebraska.   Time and again, needless and frequently stupid penalties cost this football team; and THAT is on Tom Allen.  For all of his antics, he should really take a hard look at the way his team (and especially his defense) plays.   It is sometimes embarrassing and frequently stupid.

Wow, I agree with Old Friend!

I was never a big fan of the Steelers growing up, but watching this video made me develop a huge appreciation for Chuck Noll. He never gave motivational speeches or tried to fire the guys up. His thinking was the habits and discipline you develop in practice are what will determine if you win or lose -- not a bunch of rah-rah BS. ... I think Rocky Bleier said Noll's usual halftime speech was: "OK, we've made our adjustments. Now let's get out there and get to it." ... I actually get embarrassed sometimes when I see CTA ranting and raving on the sidelines, slapping hands an high-fiving the fellas. I feel like saying, "Teach these guys proper fundamentals and don't worry about the motivational crap and you'd be much better off." 

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Chirping is fine. Attempting a head butt is no bueno. We need to clean this crap up.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Chirping is not fine.  There is indeed a fine line, and I understand; but that crap is exactly what I'm talking about, and it's been constant under Tom Allen.  Taunting, unsportsmanlike conduct, late hits, bad decisions....fundamentally unsound.  I'm on board with ALL criticism of that stuff.

Chirping is not fine.  There is indeed a fine line, and I understand; but that crap is exactly what I'm talking about, and it's been constant under Tom Allen.  Taunting, unsportsmanlike conduct, late hits, bad decisions....fundamentally unsound.  I'm on board with ALL criticism of that stuff.

Chirping’s fine; it goes on in every sport between every team and is totally part of the game. The other stuff I agree with.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If Whop makes a great catch and jumps up and says “all day.” I have zero problem with it. I agree on all the other stuff. You can chirp and not get penalties.

Yeah, and that's true too; but it's not a new problem, which is why I said - while I disagree with some of the criticism of Tom Allen - this stuff?  Squarely on him.

You’re right it’s not new - seems that it’s been around since Wilson days.

Need to clean it up regardless.