Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Hoosier Hysteria

12 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I am one opinion based solely on what I have seen, but Franklin is very able to help immediately.  He can play the 2 or 3, can shoot, he's athletic and very strong, good finisher, great defender, and I saw him get an easy 30 against Lawrence North in the sectionals last year ...and LN had 3 D1 kids on the team. 

I don't think he starts, but I absolutely think he plays meaningful minutes.  I have said and I'll stand by that I don't know what Romeo can do that Franklin can't.  

I think he’s a piece for 2021 for sure but if Jerome is the real deal not sure I see minutes for Franklin yet. 

He’s basically going to be competing with Al for minutes off the Bench but Al has just been to steady to expect him to lose minutes to a freshmen. If he’s ready all the better. 

11 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

I believe Loaded Chicken Sandwich is mostly correct--we don't have a proven top 25 player. We have some very talented players who have been inconsistent, e.g., Green, Smith. We have a talented big in De'Ron Davis who has been hurt most of his career but could be one of the top centers in the league. We have some very good role players who aren't top 25, e.g., Al Durham, Rob Phinisee, but who are critical to IU's success. But we don't have college proven top 25 talent. Trayce Jackson Davis definitely has the talent to be a top 25 player this season, but he is unproven at the college level. I would bet he is top 25 by the end of the year. Devonte Green could be a top 25 player if he plays this season like he did at the end of last season. Jerome Hunter has the talent to be a top 25 player but who knows what kind of player he will be this year after sitting out all last year? I'm not sure why some posters get so bent out of shape when a fan states the obvious--we don't have any proven top 25 players on this team. That's why the forecasters put IU in the 9-11 range. And, based on all the uncertainty and last year's very disappointing season no one should blame them. In the final analysis, teams have to have both stars and excellent role players to truly succeed. Personally, I predict IU will surprise this year and make the NCAA tournament. But all the pieces have to come together. We can only wait and see.

Great post IMO!

(a paragraph break or two would help it’s readability, but a great take in the team’s potential)

8 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I think he’s a piece for 2021 for sure but if Jerome is the real deal not sure I see minutes for Franklin yet. 

He’s basically going to be competing with Al for minutes off the Bench but Al has just been to steady to expect him to lose minutes to a freshmen. If he’s ready all the better. 

Franklin will get an opportunity for an increased role, it will just be a matter of whether or not he takes advantage of it. Same as Anderson last year. You might take a look at the final stats and say Anderson couldn’t get minutes, but he was actually given some big opportunities, he just wasn’t ready for it yet. 

Franklin will get a chance to play early in the season, and probably in some big early games, it will be up to him how long those opportunities last. 

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Franklin will get an opportunity for an increased role, it will just be a matter of whether or not he takes advantage of it. Same as Anderson last year. You might take a look at the final stats and say Anderson couldn’t get minutes, but he was actually given some big opportunities, he just wasn’t ready for it yet. 

Franklin will get a chance to play early in the season, and probably in some big early games, it will be up to him how long those opportunities last. 

Damezi got a chance because of injuries though. Like I said if Franklins play demands it he will take ALs minutes. I just don’t see that happening. 

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

With only four scholarship guards on the roster, Armaan is going to have a role, whether ready for it or not. Last season Romeo, Al, Rob and Devonte were all over 25 minutes per game. Those numbers may come down some depending on what happens on the wing - if Jerome can hold up for heavy minutes, if Justin has developed a perimeter game, if Damezi has made a significant jump - but regardless I think we're going to need far more minutes from Armaan than we ever asked of Damezi. 

With only four scholarship guards on the roster, Armaan is going to have a role, whether ready for it or not. Last season Romeo, Al, Rob and Devonte were all over 25 minutes per game. Those numbers may come down some depending on what happens on the wing - if Jerome can hold up for heavy minutes, if Justin has developed a perimeter game, if Damezi has made a significant jump - but regardless I think we're going to need far more minutes from Armaan than we ever asked of Damezi. 

We didn’t have the inside depth last we that we do this year. Last year Davis was the only center. Now we have Davis, Brunk and TJD. And TJD is likely to get plenty of run at the 4. Meaning Smith and Hunter will be getting a lot of fun at the 3. So Rob, Green and Al are really the only 3 needed to cover the the 80 minutes of playing time at the 1 and 2 spot. Evenly split up that’s about 26-27 minutes a game. So barring any injuries and foul trouble, Franklin isn’t likely to get a ton of minutes. And that’s completely fine. He is going to get his chances here and there against the crappy teams we play, but once B1G season rolls around, and if this team is healthy, he will be sitting with Damezi and possibly Race at the end of the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

We didn’t have the inside depth last we that we do this year. Last year Davis was the only center. Now we have Davis, Brunk and TJD. And TJD is likely to get plenty of run at the 4. Meaning Smith and Hunter will be getting a lot of fun at the 3. So Rob, Green and Al are really the only 3 needed to cover the the 80 minutes of playing time at the 1 and 2 spot. Evenly split up that’s about 26-27 minutes a game. So barring any injuries and foul trouble, Franklin isn’t likely to get a ton of minutes. And that’s completely fine. He is going to get his chances here and there against the crappy teams we play, but once B1G season rolls around, and if this team is healthy, he will be sitting with Damezi and possibly Race at the end of the bench.

Smith getting run at the 3 is terrifying. He's literally shown zero ability to this point to be a wing player. 

Franklin will get an opportunity to earn minutes. He'll play early in the season and his play will dictate how much of a role he grinds out. If he plays like Damezi last season, then he won't have much of a role. If he performs, plays good, hard D, hits open shots, finishes around the rim when he has chances and doesn't turn the ball over, then he'll carve out a role in the rotation. 

12 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Damezi got a chance because of injuries though. Like I said if Franklins play demands it he will take ALs minutes. I just don’t see that happening. 

Right, but he'll have the chance. Franklin will get an opportunity to carve out a role, just like Damezi did. His play will dictate what type of role he ends up with. But, he will get a chance. 

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

I believe Loaded Chicken Sandwich is mostly correct--we don't have a proven top 25 player. We have some very talented players who have been inconsistent, e.g., Green, Smith. We have a talented big in De'Ron Davis who has been hurt most of his career but could be one of the top centers in the league. We have some very good role players who aren't top 25, e.g., Al Durham, Rob Phinisee, but who are critical to IU's success. But we don't have college proven top 25 talent. Trayce Jackson Davis definitely has the talent to be a top 25 player this season, but he is unproven at the college level. I would bet he is top 25 by the end of the year. Devonte Green could be a top 25 player if he plays this season like he did at the end of last season. Jerome Hunter has the talent to be a top 25 player but who knows what kind of player he will be this year after sitting out all last year? I'm not sure why some posters get so bent out of shape when a fan states the obvious--we don't have any proven top 25 players on this team. That's why the forecasters put IU in the 9-11 range. And, based on all the uncertainty and last year's very disappointing season no one should blame them. In the final analysis, teams have to have both stars and excellent role players to truly succeed. Personally, I predict IU will surprise this year and make the NCAA tournament. But all the pieces have to come together. We can only wait and see.

Texas Tech didn't have a single top 100 recruit on the roster and made the Final Four.   We had a top 25 talent a year ago.   We had Noah Vonleh at one time.  We had Bracey Wright at one time.  We had Eric Gordon at one time.   We had Thomas Bryant at one time.   

Give me depth, experience, basketball IQ and length.   Top 25 guys on a team with only one or maybe two almost always have different agendas and that has a tendency to divide a team.   We DO have Ohio Mr. Basketball for 2018 and Indiana Mr. Basketball for 2019.   We have plenty of talent.  That's not bent out of shape.  That's me saying top 25 guys aren't the end all, be all.  How many recently successful teams can we name who haven't had one?  

Again, it shocks me that the focus tends to be on what we don't have; and then extrapolates into "fire so and so" because we don't.   Do we want a team with one or two and done NBA guys or do we want to build a "get old and stay old" program?   I much prefer the latter, but that means fewer top 25, different agenda guys.    We don't need a top 25 guy.  We either need 4-5 of them every year, or we need players who will stay 3-4 years.   Those are the formulas for success.  Having a single "proven top 25 guy" has proven non-successful, and I wonder why that's what people want.

From context, you appear to be thinking of recruits ranked top 25 in their class. I believe what Honkyman had in mind, based on the previous discussion, was top 25 players in the conference. A different measure to be sure, one entirely compatible with the mantra of "get old, stay old". There's project Alex Bozich and Dylan Burkhardt do every year, ranking the top 25 players for the upcoming season of the Big Ten. If we reach our goal of reloading instead of rebuilding, this is the type of list we should be able to populate with multiple guys every season. This year, Indiana had only one player listed: Trayce Jackson-Davis squeaked in at 24. 

I was talking about performance in college not high school ranking. IU currently doesn't have any players who have earned top 25 Big Ten conference ranking. I predict that will change this year. I believe by the time all-conference teams are chosen in 2020, there will be at least one or two IU players on the list.

I was talking about performance in college not high school ranking. IU currently doesn't have any players who have earned top 25 Big Ten conference ranking. I predict that will change this year. I believe by the time all-conference teams are chosen in 2020, there will be at least one or two IU players on the list.

Exactly. And Texas Tech had a Top 10 player in the country in Culver.