Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ViaSwiss

Recovering from DVT

Just curious if anyone has or knows someone who has had to recover from DVT.

What does the surgery fix or help?

What is a typical recovery like for an athlete?

Is is the strength that is hardest to recover?

Are you asking for yourself or Jerome Hunter because I am fairly confident this is what he had (although not 100% positive) from things I heard behind the scenes?

Not real familiar with it other than hearing this is the 'mysterious leg condition' Hunter had. 

Are you asking for yourself or Jerome Hunter because I am fairly confident this is what he had (although not 100% positive) from things I heard behind the scenes?
Not real familiar with it other than hearing this is the 'mysterious leg condition' Hunter had. 

It’s been on the radio lately he had Compartment Syndrome. Which DVT can be associated with. But it sounds like that was the overall diagnosis.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

There are so many variables with DVTs that it’s difficult to tell but like others have said it’s been rumored as Compartment Syndrome.

Surgery can be done to remove the clot if it’s that massive or pushing on something it shouldn’t. (Heart, I was close to having this done). It can also be done to place stints in your legs to stop clots from moving from your leg or to your heart.

You can have a clot that doesn’t completely block your vein but still hurts and can cause complications if not dealt with. Typically, clots are dissolved with medicine (heparin drip in the hospital, Lovenox shots in your stomach at home). You then go on medicine Warfrin (Coumadin) or a nap DOAC to prevent you from clotting in the future.

For a first time DVT, you typically go on blood thinners from 6-8 months. Your regime changes to prevent bleeding and bruising. I wasn’t anywhere close to an athlete but was in pretty decent shape while in the military. I had several other medical issues at the time and it took me months before I was back to some level of normalcy.

The hardest part for me was recovering from the other medical complications. The blood thinners are just annoying as you can’t do your normal activities. I wasn’t allowed to surf (I did), wasn’t supposed to train or respond (wear the bomb suit) but I did, I wasn’t allowed to do many things but you kind of find the happy medium of how to do certain things a little safer.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners