Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

Game Thread: 09/28 3:30PM ET Indiana at (25) Michigan St. BTN

35 minutes ago, KingPG21 said:

There shouldn't have ever been a debate

There was.  Probably not anymore.  Waiting on acknowledgement of such.

Penalties cost us the game.  The one on the punt return in particular.  Their defense was exhausted and worn down.  We were about to go up 2 scores.   One play cost us the game.  Everything that happened after that was inconsequential and yeah, we shot ourselves in the foot, but the better team did not win today.  This is neither pro nor con Tom Allen, but if anyone sees regression as was mentioned this week, I wonder what you're watching.

I also wonder how you extrapolate it into blaming Fred Glass.   Same 4-5 guys, and it's tired.

Finally saw Penix against decent competition. Now we have something to go off of. We are usually good for an almost win against a decent team every year. Question is can we build off it.

Sadly, this was my thought. Is this our close game against a good team or will we be competitive against other good teams.

I think we get smoked by PSU.
Michigan doesn’t seem to be that good, can we compete?
Northwestern and Nebraska are decent, can we win one?
Maryland, Rutgers and pu are on okay to bad, can we win a couple?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

After some time to settle, still frustrated but we had every chance to take down a top 25 team on the road. Hope this is a sign in the right direction or just continued let down IU football lol. Will try to take a positive from this I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

32 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Penalties cost us the game.  The one on the punt return in particular.  Their defense was exhausted and worn down.  We were about to go up 2 scores.   One play cost us the game.  Everything that happened after that was inconsequential and yeah, we shot ourselves in the foot, but the better team did not win today.  This is neither pro nor con Tom Allen, but if anyone sees regression as was mentioned this week, I wonder what you're watching.

I also wonder how you extrapolate it into blaming Fred Glass.   Same 4-5 guys, and it's tired.

The penalties sure did not help but in addition to the penalties I would add the dropped pick six interception in the first half, giving up a quick TD at the end of the first half, the horrid three runs in a row calls in the 4th quarter after we had a ton of success throwing and the deep pass that was a foot too long.

After some time to settle, still frustrated but we had every chance to take down a top 25 team on the road. Hope this is a sign in the right direction or just continued let down IU football lol. Will try to take a positive from this I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yeah, Feel like we’ve been here before. As always, I enjoyed watching the game. Expected the result to be about what it was. That’s my IUFB fandom.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

We gave that one away.  Bad defense overall.  Killer penalty to completely negate a great punt return.  Dropped pick 6 early in the game.  Offense was fine overall, although there was some very conservative playcalling when they needed to be aggressive; but hopefully DeBoar learns from that.

We gave that one away.  Bad defense overall.  Killer penalty to completely negate a great punt return.  Dropped pick 6 early in the game.  Offense was fine overall, although there was some very conservative playcalling when they needed to be aggressive; but hopefully DeBoar learns from that.

I thought the defense had a couple of decent series in the third. I believe they held Lewerki to less than 100 yards passing in the second half (he might have had 100 rushing by himself in the second though).

If we could consistently compete like this with the middle of the conference (MSU, Nebraska, Northwestern, Iowa) while winning one every other year I’d be happy. It’s the complete no shows and hardly ever winning one that gets to me.

I was pleasantly surprised to see IU compete and make it a game.

The hard pill to swallow was that they tried to give us this win and we refused to take it. Glass/Allen obviously are not on the field but this was dumb football from the moment we took over possession with a little under 4 minutes remaining.

We kept chucking the ball downfield like there was under a minute to go. I said to my wife “we’re either going to turn it over on downs in under 30 seconds or score a touchdown and leave MSU a lifetime to score the game winner. Either way we were going to give them the ball back...

It turned out to be the later, leaving 2 minutes for them to get a field goal... why? That was one of the worst clock managed possessions I’ve ever seen.

Beyond that, when you get the touchdown, why not go for the win on the road? Playing it safe on the road against a ranked team...?

Then, after giving them the ball back with 2 minutes to go, we sit back and let them pick us a part in two plays and instead of allowing them to score, we tackle them on the 1 to guarantee the loss.

3 minutes of dumb coaching and dumb playing is what we are and I guess I should just be happy that we were even in the game that late.

I know people say we've been here before, and I agree we have, but the wild card here is Penix. We've been in this situation before but I don't think we've ever had a guy with the "it" factor Penix has, best individual player we've had since the Coleman/Howard/Sudfeld days and he's a freshman. We've been here before, but Penix has the ability to make this team special.

3 minutes ago, Miller'sTheMan said:

I know people say we've been here before, and I agree we have, but the wild card here is Penix. We've been in this situation before but I don't think we've ever had a guy with the "it" factor Penix has, best individual player we've had since the Coleman/Howard/Sudfeld days and he's a freshman. We've been here before, but Penix has the ability to make this team special.

I agree with your sentiments, and am excited about Penix (have to be careful with spellcheck), but in regards to a guy with “it” factor I have three words....

Antwan Randle El.

Never got us to a bowl but wanted to give him his props :)

I like the potential of Mullen on the other side of the ball. I wish we had a D-line that could consistently get pressure and a seasoned secondary. We’re getting better players but the coaching staff needs to learn from these games more than anyone.

4 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I agree with your sentiments, and am excited about Penix (have to be careful with spellcheck), but in regards to a guy with “it” factor I have three words....

Antwan Randle El.

Sure, absolutely. I think the talent around Penix is better than Randle El, at least offensively. This team has some really good players around Penix in Scott, Hale, Philyor, Hendershot, and even Matthew Bedford at offensive tackle I thought was outstanding for his first career start against a front seven like MSU.

Defensively I was really happy with how we stopped the run, but the secondary/Linebackers in coverage need a lot of work... Props to Tiawan Mullen though, he is very, very good and he's a true freshman. Probably our best player in the secondary honestly. They were playing him on Stewart, who's one of the best receivers in the Big Ten, and he more than held his own.

10 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I was pleasantly surprised to see IU compete and make it a game.

The hard pill to swallow was that they tried to give us this win and we refused to take it. Glass/Allen obviously are not on the field but this was dumb football from the moment we took over possession with a little under 4 minutes remaining.

We kept chucking the ball downfield like there was under a minute to go. I said to my wife “we’re either going to turn it over on downs in under 30 seconds or score a touchdown and leave MSU a lifetime to score the game winner. Either way we were going to give them the ball back...

It turned out to be the later, leaving 2 minutes for them to get a field goal... why? That was one of the worst clock managed possessions I’ve ever seen.

Beyond that, when you get the touchdown, why not go for the win on the road? Playing it safe on the road against a ranked team...?

Then, after giving them the ball back with 2 minutes to go, we sit back and let them pick us a part in two plays and instead of allowing them to score, we tackle them on the 1 to guarantee the loss.

3 minutes of dumb coaching and dumb playing is what we are and I guess I should just be happy that we were even in the game that late.

I would absolutely agree with you on the go for 2 strategy, but with 2:00 to go and 2 timeouts left, there's a chance you get the ball back and that's a lot of time.  Last 20 seconds or so?  Absolutely.    Go for the win.  But with 2 minutes, I was okay with the extra point.     We can nitpick it and disagree with that strategy, but with that amount of time on the clock,  I was good with it.

I was far more disappointed in the defense than the play calling.    That's a good defense and they adjusted to take away some of the quick stuff.   Safeties down means you throw it deep.  I was fine with some of those, but somehow we lost the middle of the field and Hendershot.  I thought Indiana was the better team today.  A win we should have had, but there are 5 more left we can win.  Time will tell.

Finally saw Penix against decent competition. Now we have something to go off of. We are usually good for an almost win against a decent team every year. Question is can we build off it.

He did good against one of the best defenses in the nation. But our defense did terrible against a bad offense. That’s obviously the weakest side of the ball still. Just watching the differences between the two teams, Michigan State was swarming to the ball while our guys always seem to be one on one and people just watching.

3 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Antwan Randle El.

Give him a few more inches and he  was a McNair type quarterback at the next level. So dynamic that his teams created special packages for him. 

Antwan Randle El.

Tevin Coleman never gave us a bowl either but man... he was an absolute monster his Junior year. But that offensive line was one of the best in college football.

It gets old finding joy in close losses but....

We fell apart at the end of the game.  On the other hand, however, five minutes into the game it looked like we might lose 45-3 as we appeared totally overmatched on both sides of the ball. Quite a turnaround for the next three or so quarters.

Also,  a thumbs up to a couple of true freshman. Mullen on D and Bedford on the OL. Not an easy task for Bedford to get his first start against the MSU D at MSU.

12 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He did good against one of the best defenses in the nation. But our defense did terrible against a bad offense. That’s obviously the weakest side of the ball still. Just watching the differences between the two teams, Michigan State was swarming to the ball while our guys always seem to be one on one and people just watching.

It's infuriating that we can't get a year where both the offense and defense are above average. On the other hand, at least we have an offense again. It sucks being lousy on both sides of the ball and with Penix it definitely makes the offense fun to watch again. Just have to hope the defense improves some and we beat the competition we are supposed to beat. It's disappointing with Allen being a defensive guy and the defense looking worse and worse every year under his watch. 

8 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

It's infuriating that we can't get a year where both the offense and defense are above average. On the other hand, at least we have an offense again. It sucks being lousy on both sides of the ball and with Penix it definitely makes the offense fun to watch again. Just have to hope the defense improves some and we beat the competition we are supposed to beat. It's disappointing with Allen being a defensive guy and the defense looking worse and worse every year under his watch. 

Hopefully this young group of talented players, on both sides of ball, will grow and develop together as a group.  Also with the type of guys Allen is bringing in, the development part of it will be accelerated. Penix is a kid you can use as  a recruiting tool. Not saying Allen is answer, but watching IU football for 40 yrs., I have never seen this type of talent, and linemen that look like they physically belong out there, I'm willing to give him a couple more years. Maybe we let him make mistakes along the way, and see where we after Penix's junior year. People laugh about his enthusiasm,  but these kids thoroughly enjoy playing for him. Maybe Glaas will be the one at the end holding up his middle finger. What do we have to lose?