Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

08/31 12:00PM ET Indiana vs Ball State (@Lucas Oil Stadium) CBSSN

. This is hilarious from the perspective of “it is what it is”.

It all boils down to how much optimism you have.

Penix certainly was more athletic. Obvious. Throws with zip. Obvious. Receivers missed catches due to zip. Obvious.

Overall we weren’t any better though and Indiana football track record indicates how the season is likely to end. We didn’t dominate Ball State in the end and had to hang on.

Sure, we can play better but Ball State can say the same.

I’ll have fun watching it unfold next week too.

Our offensive line struggling against Ball state with the run is discouraging, that’s for certain.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

4 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I mean, those are fears. I don’t think they’re based in reality. Penix kept drives alive with good pocket awareness, good throws, and some nice scrambles.

I’m not sure what you watched, but it feels like we weren’t watching the same game.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

We had 6 drives end after 6 plays or less against Ball state. Our D played 60 percent of the first half. These are not good things

I'd just like to say that as far as Penix vs Ramsey it isn't even close. Penix absolutely has the upside that Ramsey doesn't and therefore he gives the team the best chance I believe. Now I will say that Penix needs to work on accuracy and at times taking a little off of his throws and putting some air under others. Those things can be worked on. Overall I thought he looked good. Other facets of the team do not seem to be very good to start the season. Justus saved IU's @$$

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

We had 6 drives end after 6 plays or less against Ball state. Our D played 60 percent of the first half. These are not good things

Our D playing 60% of the first half was due to 1) the two INTs and 2) them not being able to tackle

First half was very poor. Loved how the offense recovered in the second half.

I'd just like to say that as far as Penix vs Ramsey it isn't even close. Penix absolutely has the upside that Ramsey doesn't and therefore he gives the team the best chance I believe. Now I will say that Penix needs to work on accuracy and at times taking a little off of his throws and putting some air under others. Those things can be worked on. Overall I thought he looked good. Other facets of the team do not seem to be very good to start the season. Justus saved IU's @$$

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

These are all true. I think this argument is a bit ridiculous. Penix is so clearly the best option.

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

You and Hoosierfan are really going all out on hating this performance. Kind of weird really.

Can you admit that this offense has far greater potential and that Ramsey is not capable of everything Penix did yesterday? If not, we won’t agree.

I’m hopeful and eager to see what happens over the next few weeks.

I hate the performance because I thought that maybe this year would be different from previous years. But, we struggled to beat Ball State. The defense was bad, and so was the offensive line. We need a strong run game to help keep our defense off the field. We can't have quick drives if we want to be successful.

Sure, Penix is capable of doing more things than Ramsey. He is more athletic and he has a stronger arm. No argument from me there. However, we've seen in the past that a strong arm is only part of the battle with a quarterback. He has more upside, but I'm still not sold that he's the better option right now. We'll see how things go during the next few games. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I hate the performance because I thought that maybe this year would be different from previous years. But, we struggled to beat Ball State. The defense was bad, and so was the offensive line. We need a strong run game to help keep our defense off the field. We can't have quick drives if we want to be successful.

Sure, Penix is capable of doing more things than Ramsey. He is more athletic and he has a stronger arm. No argument from me there. However, we've seen in the past that a strong arm is only part of the battle with a quarterback. He has more upside, but I'm still not sold that he's the better option right now. We'll see how things go during the next few games. 

How was the offensive line bad? How? 

We were sacked zero times, only TFL 3 times, we had 490 yards of total offense.. can it be better? Oh for sure. The drops won't happen on a regular basis. We did a tremendous job of utilizing athletes, quick passes.. then kept them off balance when we wanted to use a longer developing play to give the OL the chance to get to their blocks because the DL couldn't pin their ears back. 

I wasnt ever overly down on DeBord honestly. Something just had to change. 

Jones first start ever, Crider played sparingly last year, and Littlejohn didn't play every snap every snap last year. 

I will be willing to bet every game we dont give up a sack this year we will win. 

We scored on 7 of 12 possessions. 2 picks and 3 punts. We did have a little trouble finishing some drives, I expect to correct that and execute better. Not being sold that he is a better option an Ramsey is quite honestly mind boggling to me. I love Peyton but he isnt close to Penix. 

How was the offensive line bad? How? 
We were sacked zero times, only TFL 3 times, we had 490 yards of total offense.. can it be better? Oh for sure. The drops won't happen on a regular basis. We did a tremendous job of utilizing athletes, quick passes.. then kept them off balance when we wanted to use a longer developing play to give the OL the chance to get to their blocks because the DL couldn't pin their ears back. 
I wasnt ever overly down on DeBord honestly. Something just had to change. 
Jones first start ever, Crider played sparingly last year, and Littlejohn didn't play every snap every snap last year. 
I will be willing to bet every game we dont give up a sack this year we will win. 
We scored on 7 of 12 possessions. 2 picks and 3 punts. We did have a little trouble finishing some drives, I expect to correct that and execute better. Not being sold that he is a better option an Ramsey is quite honestly mind boggling to me. I love Peyton but he isnt close to Penix. 

While I have agreed with all your points in these pages long argument with the others lol, but the offensive line did struggle with a good push for the run game. While Penix got out in some space, that’s different for our RBs. Scott had trouble getting good lanes that had space. Of course BSU tried to take away the running game, it could have been better.

Like everyone else, I was disappointed with our missed tackles and dropped passes. If those were not an issue, we would be talking about a much bigger win than what we are. Instead of a 10 point win, we win easily by 20.

I like the potential of this team, because it is there. It’s more evident with their the offense, but this team has a chance to go bowling. Also, love Whitehead and Justus, those are two underrated players that can help us win games!!

Penix also showed why he’s the starter with that potential. He will continue to have mistakes this season, but will get better and grow obviously. Very talented player that will run a lethal offense in his career.

5 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

While I have agreed with all your points in these pages long argument with the others lol, but the offensive line did struggle with a good push for the run game. While Penix got out in some space, that’s different for our RBs. Scott had trouble getting good lanes that had space. Of course BSU tried to take away the running game, it could have been better.

Like everyone else, I was disappointed with our missed tackles and dropped passes. If those were not an issue, we would be talking about a much bigger win than what we are. Instead of a 10 point win, we win easily by 20.

I like the potential of this team, because it is there. It’s more evident with their the offense, but this team has a chance to go bowling. Also, love Whitehead and Justus, those are two underrated players that can help us win games!!

Penix also showed why he’s the starter with that potential. He will continue to have mistakes this season, but will get better and grow obviously. Very talented player that will run a lethal offense in his career.

I did sort of allude to that though when I said it for sure can be better. What was really nice though is that the bottom line we struggled to run it between the tackles, so we found other ways of getting easy yards. 

Watched the game on Saturday. Even after the 2 interceptions, I was convinced we have a special qb in the making. If he stays healthy, he will go down as one of our best signal callers we’ve ever had. 

Hopefully this translates into big wins and some big seasons. Unfortunately, this will depend on IU putting it together on each side of the ball. Something I’ve never seen in my lifetime. 

Penix opens up so much more for us offensively. Teams weren't respecting Ramsey's deep ball at all last season, you can't do that with Penix. If you don't play him honestly, he'll beat you over the top with the 60 yard deep ball like he did with Westbrook 2 times  (one was a dropped pass). Kind of blows my mind people still question if Ramsey would be better for us this year, I don't think it's remotely close.

22 minutes ago, Miller'sTheMan said:

Penix opens up so much more for us offensively. Teams weren't respecting Ramsey's deep ball at all last season, you can't do that with Penix. If you don't play him honestly, he'll beat you over the top with the 60 yard deep ball like he did with Westbrook 2 times  (one was a dropped pass). Kind of blows my mind people still question if Ramsey would be better for us this year, I don't think it's remotely close.

Plus 67 yards rushing

According to a Bloomington Herald-Times story -- and I'm guessing the info came straight from a Tom Allen presser -- we missed 23 tackles against BS, which led to 181 yards. 

That's horrific. 

I never played organized football -- just sandlot with the gang in the neighborhood -- so I can't say I speak with any authority on this, but that seems like something that would be difficult to fix in one week. If after weeks and weeks of spring practice and summer camp, you don't know how to tackle -- yikes, that worries me. Of course, our defense has always worried me, so what's new? 

Maybe someone who knows more about football practice and techniques will tell me this can be fixed -- and quickly. I certainly hope so. 

According to a Bloomington Herald-Times story -- and I'm guessing the info came straight from a Tom Allen presser -- we missed 23 tackles against BS, which led to 181 yards. 

That's horrific. 

I never played organized football -- just sandlot with the gang in the neighborhood -- so I can't say I speak with any authority on this, but that seems like something that would be difficult to fix in one week. If after weeks and weeks of spring practice and summer camp, you don't know how to tackle -- yikes, that worries me. Of course, our defense has always worried me, so what's new? 

Maybe someone who knows more about football practice and techniques will tell me this can be fixed -- and quickly. I certainly hope so. 

Unfortunately they are really limited on when and how long they can wear pads. That isn’t just a college problem, but a high school one as well. They have the five day acclimation period for newbs where they can wear pads with no helmet I believe two of the days. First two days are helmet only. Obviously no hitting there. Then the preseason is considered 21 days until first game. You can’t wear pads on two or three a days. Then there are rules within how many two or three a days you have with a max of 3 hours at a time. Rest days in there too. Most of this time is spent getting in rhythm with the play calling. Most schools work around compliance on some of this stuff that are “football” schools. Our compliance will not allow it. I don’t think there is any technique more than repetition and coaching. Over the next few weeks it will improve somewhat.

Edit: No matter what the rules are that is a horrific stat at any level.

3 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Unfortunately they are really limited on when and how long they can wear pads. That isn’t just a college problem, but a high school one as well. They have the five day acclimation period for newbs where they can wear pads with no helmet I believe two of the days. First two days are helmet only. Obviously no hitting there. Then the preseason is considered 21 days until first game. You can’t wear pads on two or three a days. Then there are rules within how many two or three a days you have with a max of 3 hours at a time. Rest days in there too. Most of this time is spent getting in rhythm with the play calling. Most schools work around compliance on some of this stuff that are “football” schools. Our compliance will not allow it. I don’t think there is any technique more than repetition and coaching. Over the next few weeks it will improve somewhat.

Edit: No matter what the rules are that is a horrific stat at any level.

Excellent post. This plus attention to detail. 

Here’s my write up after that game.....

special teams- way better than we saw last year coverage on kicks was outstanding and David Ellis should take one back this year great vision back there. Can’t wait to see Reece back there on punts overall I don’t have much to say. Oh wait shoutout to true frosh long snapper great snaps all day. 

Offense- pretty vanilla play calling, ran the ball outside maybe 3 times. Caleb Jones looked great at blindside tackle. WRs need to catch balls....can’t have that happen in big games. Penix throws for well over 400 if we catch 5 of those passes dropped. Hendershot has a bright future as does Penix. Bad decision making needs to be made in these first two games. First INT is on him second WR fell and even Allen and deboer said seconds not on him, fryfogle ran a shallow route and slid. I’ll hot my judgement for osu game to see what happens to play calls and running scheme as I say we won’t be showing a lot against eastern Illinois. 

Defense- it’s been stated numerous times....missed tackles. Too many times we just ran in head down trying to blow someone up. Just wrap.....James Miller had some perfect wrap up tackles he should be teaching everyone. When it comes to sacks I’ll take what we got, given we legit just went straight up rush, second half we showed some stunts and different front movements but overall it was like offense play calling, vanilla. I also felt like calls were coming in late....but that’s just me. Ik you have to wait and see what offense is lining up in, but too many times I saw DBs and LBs raising their hands looking to sidelines. Overall, I’ll take it....showed aggressiveness. Also, in most games tackling looked horrific all around the nation....must be the changes in how many times you can hit and protecting players in practice. 

Overall performance- B