Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2021) C Logan Duncomb to Xavier

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

From the Indy Star

IU center Logan Duncomb had surgery to address sinus issue, timetable for return unknown

Indiana sophomore center Logan Duncomb underwent surgery last week to address a major sinus infection, a source familiar with the situation told IndyStar.

At this time, it's unknown whether he will be able to return to game action this season.

Contacted for a comment on Monday, a spokesperson said the program wouldn’t elaborate further.

Duncomb has been characterized by IU as out due to a non-COVID illness since Indiana’s game against Minnesota on Jan. 25. His last appearance in a game was against Wisconsin on Jan. 14. He was in uniform for Indiana's games against Illinois and Michigan State, but did not play.

Duncomb has only appeared in nine games this season, averaging 2.9 points and 1.7 rebounds per game. His best game this season came against Elon when he scored 10 points and grabbed five rebounds.

Okaaaaaay then.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/15854-sinus-surgery-overview:

"Is sinus surgery serious surgery?

In general, sinus surgeries aren’t serious surgeries with significant complications."

Unless it's a Caldwell–Luc procedure:Unlike the typical recovery time of several weeks after FESS, patients should be forewarned that healing from an external Caldwell–Luc procedure may take several months.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Okaaaaaay then.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/15854-sinus-surgery-overview:

"Is sinus surgery serious surgery?

In general, sinus surgeries aren’t serious surgeries with significant complications."

Unless it's a Caldwell–Luc procedure:Unlike the typical recovery time of several weeks after FESS, patients should be forewarned that healing from an external Caldwell–Luc procedure may take several months.

I’ve had sinus surgery. Was a long time ago, put me out about a week - but in fairness, you’re not supposed to put pressure on the sinuses, like weight lifting or heavy breathing/ exercise for a while after.

29 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I’ve had sinus surgery. Was a long time ago, put me out about a week - but in fairness, you’re not supposed to put pressure on the sinuses, like weight lifting or heavy breathing/ exercise for a while after.

Same, I had sinus surgery -- mine was because of a deviated septum and involved breaking and then resetting my nose as well as then carving out some bone to expand my sinus cavity.  I don't recall exactly how long it had me 'sidelined', but the recovery for me was very unpleasant.....black eyes, face extremely swollen, nose was packed with gauze to help with the blood and when they pulled it out it felt freaking horrible.

9 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Same, I had sinus surgery -- mine was because of a deviated septum and involved breaking and then resetting my nose as well as then carving out some bone to expand my sinus cavity.  I don't recall exactly how long it had me 'sidelined', but the recovery for me was very unpleasant.....black eyes, face extremely swollen, nose was packed with gauze to help with the blood and when they pulled it out it felt freaking horrible.

Yeah you’re bringing back the memories, I had some bad stomach issues too bc of the blood / drainage. And that gauze, I mean just the amount that was packed in was nuts.

My senior year at IU I had a persistent (like sick the majority of 3 months) sinus infection. I had my tonsils taken out 2nd semester, and haven't been sick more than 5 times since - twenty plus years later. Minor surgery, but still surgery, to remove tonsils.

12 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Yea, pulling that gauze out was worse than when I cut off a finger with a circular saw. And there seemed to be about 40' of it packed up in there!

I really regret clicking on this thread: broken noses, gauze packed sinuses, bloody drainage, circular saw digit removal. 

Bummer that it seems likely Logan is done at IU. He definitely has some potential, but something is holding him back. 

30 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Hawkeye and BJ only did meatball surgery.

Marcus Welby did house calls.

Quincy and Jimmy Palmer only work with dead  people.

Dr. Zchivago can't enter the country.

Guess that leaves us with Hugh Laurie.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpuyyt-jkqBNz7rRElj_z

There's always Elizabeth Corday ... 

Elizabeth Corday (@CordayElNH) / Twitter

4 hours ago, Joe_hoopsier said:

Yea, pulling that gauze out was worse than when I cut off a finger with a circular saw. And there seemed to be about 40' of it packed up in there!

And when they pulled it, it felt like they were just ripping out a rag filled with chlorine......really burned.  Pain was quick and went away when immediately after they pulled it out but it's a brief intense pain.  I'd liken the pain to the time I accidentally spilled gas in my eyes -- same type of pain although the gas in the eyes didn't subside until I completely washed it out after about five minutes under running water.  

51 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

And when they pulled it, it felt like they were just ripping out a rag filled with chlorine......really burned.  Pain was quick and went away when immediately after they pulled it out but it's a brief intense pain.  I'd liken the pain to the time I accidentally spilled gas in my eyes -- same type of pain although the gas in the eyes didn't subside until I completely washed it out after about five minutes under running water.  

Broke my nose before high school in a game. Reconstructive surgery with multiple packings afterward...

I have had several other injuries including broken ribs, arms, etc...nothing has ever compared to having the packing pulled out of my nose, although I wouldn't recommend broken ribs to anyone either. The pressure release, sensation and pain was so intense I passed out. It's wild. 

3 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Wait so Duncomb cut off his fingers with a circular saw which has hampered his ability to shoot the basketball?

Whatever it is it's unrelated to sinuses, I believe the narrative was "he gone." I'm not sure what body part or tool relates to that.

Raby tweet moments ago - Indiana sophomore backup center Logan Duncomb is not expected to return to the court this season after having surgery for what is described as a major sinus issue. In 2 seasons at IU, Duncomb has played 70 minutes and appeared in 18 games.

42 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I would think he'd qualify as a medical redshirt if he desires to get this year back. 

Wondering: If he transfers, can he get a medical redshirt? Meaning -- if he goes to a new school, would he be have two seasons left, or possibly three? 

Someone better versed in NCAA compliance can correct me, but a medical RS is applied for when you plan to use the extra year. So e.g. whether he stays or transfers, after two more years — when he exhausts his standard eligibility — Logan could petition for an extra year on the basis of missing most of one year earlier in his career.

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

I would think he'd qualify as a medical redshirt if he desires to get this year back. 

Wondering: If he transfers, can he get a medical redshirt? Meaning -- if he goes to a new school, would he be have two seasons left, or possibly three? 

Even though he's only played 9 games, I think some of the games he appeared in were too late in the season to qualify for a medical redshirt. Specifically the Wisconsin game in the middle of January and maybe some of the late December games.

If eligible for a medical redshirt, it would follow him if he transfers.