Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2021) SG - Blake Wesley to Notre Dame

Short article from the South Bend Tribune; nothing of signifcance.

The South Bend Riley Wildcats have had to replace quite a few starters since last season.

Junior Blake Wesley, though, is still giving the crowds a pretty good show every time he touches the basketball -- and if college offers are any indication of his future, he's only just getting started.  If you go to a boys basketball game at Riley High School, it’s a sound you’ll hear pretty frequently.

Wesley started hearing his named called a lot this summer when college coaches began noticing his play.  “I got my first offer in May and then I started getting more and they just kept coming,” said Wesley, “and don’t get caught up in all the hype so I just have to keep going.”  Wesley picked up 16 scholarship offers between his sophomore and junior seasons, several from major programs including XYZ.    [yes, XYZ is what's in the actual story]

While the future is bright for the Riley junior, he's focused on the present, developing his game and his teammates’ too.  “I’m just being a leader, I mean I don’t have anyone that’s up to my potential yet but I’m trying to uplift people to be where I could be,” said Wesley. “So just really we didn’t have a really good practice this week so that’s on me and we just have to get back in the gym really.”

“Well he knows a lot of it lies on his shoulders,” said his coach. “He’s the leader, he’s the captain, one of our captains and we just have to get him where he can get more guys involved.”

Wesley will be hearing his name a lot more this season, but he plans on blocking out the noise because there’s still work to be done for himself and his team.  “It’s a lot of pressure,” said Wesley, “It is, because with 16 offers, everybody’s watching you, everybody’s with you so they’re just watching you.”

And he keeps giving them something to see.

Wesley taking a step up in AAU competition this year.  He previously played for G3 Grind on the Under Armour circuit but will play this year for Indy Heat on the Nike circuit.  Overall, he'll be facing a higher level of competition and be interesting to see how he performs.  He'll also be teammates with Caleb Furst and Luke Goode.

And Lander

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

South Bend Riley (7-6) defeated Jimtown (9-5) 58-50.  Riley hit 13-of-15 free throws in the fourth quarter, including 8-of-8 in the last 1:33, and 18-of-22 for the evening.  

Blake Wesley, a fluid, 6-foot-5 junior forward drawing major Division I interest, led all players with 20 points and eight rebounds for Riley (7-6, 4-2), and dished three assists.  He was just 5-of-16 from the field against a variety of Jimmie defenders and finished 5.2 points below his average, but drained a trio of 3-pointers, and sank 7-of-8 at the line.

South Bend Riley participated in the Culver Military Academy Winter Classic today and earlier today defeated Gary Lighthouse.  Haven't see any kind of game info.  Tonight, it faced Culver Military Academy and was beaten 54-40 after only trailing 30-27 after 3 quarters.  I think this is the 4th game I've watched Wesley and it was by far the best I've seen him play.  On my unofficial scorecard I had him with 31 of Riley's 40 total points on 12-19 FG; 4-4 on 3s; 3-6 FT; 4 reb; 3 TO.  All 4 of his 3s were well beyond the 3-point line.  Damezi's little brother is a teammate and he saw a lot of minutes off the bench and I thought played quite well.  He didn't score points, but grabbed a number of rebounds and played pretty good defense.

15 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

South Bend Riley participated in the Culver Military Academy Winter Classic today and earlier today defeated Gary Lighthouse.  Haven't see any kind of game info.  Tonight, it faced Culver Military Academy and was beaten 52-39 after only trailing 30-27 after 3 quarters.  I think this is the 4th game I've watched Wesley and it was by far the best I've seen him play.  On my unofficial scorecard I had him with 31 of Riley's 39 total points on 12-19 FG; 4-4 on 3s; 3-6 FT; 4 reb; 3 TO.  All 4 of his 3s were well beyond the 3-point line.  Damezi's little brother is a teammate and he saw a lot of minutes off the bench and I thought played quite well.  He didn't score points, but grabbed a number of rebounds and played pretty good defense.

He has a killer step back jumper.