Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stromboli

Season Predictions 2019-2020

https://twitter.com/Pastor_Keene/status/1156195834956046338?s=20 
Jerome from deep!  Appears to be moving well in the brief clip.

That’s honestly what we have to have this next season. I think he is the key to having a decent team this season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

27 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

That’s honestly what we have to have this next season. I think he is the key to having a decent team this season.

Him or somebody else stepping up and hitting 3s is in my top 3 keys for next year. 

Phinisee staying healthy is #1 by a mile. 

Our stable of bigs being able to play in the system is #2 

Him or somebody else stepping up and hitting 3s is in my top 3 keys for next year. 
Phinisee staying healthy is #1 by a mile. 
Our stable of bigs being able to play in the system is #2 

Yeah I would Hunter and Phinisee at 1a and 1b. So critical. I am with you on your 2nd as well. Being able to play without being in constant foul trouble will be huge.

13 minutes ago, Andowen1990IU said:

I don't follow as closely or know the summer timelines, but why is he playing at a court in Ohio? Are they off until the semester starts? 

Yeah, most athletes are off right now and will start trickling back to campus between now and school starting in about a month. 

If Hunter is healthy and plays at a level many think he is capable I believe this team goes from outside looking in to solidly in the field. His versatility would allow Phin, Green, and Durham to hold down the back court while bringing Anderson and Franklin along slowly while pushing Smith to become consistent on the wing/big wing.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

Yeah I would Hunter and Phinisee at 1a and 1b. So critical. I am with you on your 2nd as well. Being able to play without being in constant foul trouble will be huge.

I don’t disagree per se about that but think we shouldn’t count green out. He was without a doubt our only good 3 point shooter last year. Streaky but overall good. 

I don’t disagree per se about that but think we shouldn’t count green out. He was without a doubt our only good 3 point shooter last year. Streaky but overall good. 

If he was consistently 38-40% I would take that over streaky and think he would be our most important offensive weapon. I definitely agree with you on Phinisee though overall. For our overall success he has to stay healthy and on the court. Hunter to me is just huge. At the scrimmage last year he hung with Romeo punch for punch and they were going at each other. If he were healthy last year I feel we would be looking at him as a first round pick this year. Mainly from the things I saw and heard. He was right there at the top of the team in terms of talent with a clear drop off after the 3.

If Hunter is healthy and plays at a level many think he is capable I believe this team goes from outside looking in to solidly in the field. His versatility would allow Phin, Green, and Durham to hold down the back court while bringing Anderson and Franklin along slowly while pushing Smith to become consistent on the wing/big wing.

I truly wish people could have seen what he was doing in the fall last year. Most would have thought we got two top 25ish talents. Not too far off from where Hunter was but he was college ready.

7 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

If he was consistently 38-40% I would take that over streaky and think he would be our most important offensive weapon. I definitely agree with you on Phinisee though overall. For our overall success he has to stay healthy and on the court. Hunter to me is just huge. At the scrimmage last year he hung with Romeo punch for punch and they were going at each other. If he were healthy last year I feel we would be looking at him as a first round pick this year. Mainly from the things I saw and heard. He was right there at the top of the team in terms of talent with a clear drop off after the 3.

That’s all very fair. Hoping Hunters freshmen learning curve is reduced just from having an extra year to watch film and learn. 

He can be a difference maker for sure 

I truly wish people could have seen what he was doing in the fall last year. Most would have thought we got two top 25ish talents. Not too far off from where Hunter was but he was college ready.

I’m hoping that shows through this season because we’ll have a glaring weakness on the wing if he’s not ready or can’t play. Unless Smith has improved his game, he’ll eat time as an undersized 4 again with Jackson-Davis (if he’s quick enough to defend the 4).

I’d love to see a scenario where we’re healthy all season and players are performing towards their potential.

Big - Davis, Brunk
Big wing - Jackson-Davis, Smith
Wing - Hunter, Smith, Franklin
Small wing - Green, Durham, Franklin
Point - Phin, Durham

That’s a lineup, if playing well, can finish in the top half of the Big Ten. Will injuries and egos allow that to happen?!

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I’m hoping that shows through this season because we’ll have a glaring weakness on the wing if he’s not ready or can’t play. Unless Smith has improved his game, he’ll eat time as an undersized 4 again with Jackson-Davis (if he’s quick enough to defend the 4).

I’d love to see a scenario where we’re healthy all season and players are performing towards their potential.

Big - Davis, Brunk
Big wing - Jackson-Davis, Smith
Wing - Hunter, Smith, Franklin
Small wing - Green, Durham, Franklin
Point - Phin, Durham

That’s a lineup, if playing well, can finish in the top half of the Big Ten. Will injuries and egos allow that to happen?!

Agreed. We really need one of our bigs to be able to play the 4 role in the defense well. All 3 may be able to. Fingers crossed 1 is able. If that happens and:

-Phinisee and Al make natural progress.

-Combined with Hunter being a consistent role player even.  

-Green or Smith figuring it out and playing consistently good  

We can be a dangerous team in that situation. And certainly more balanced. Just need Smith to be a poor mans Juwan and Hunter to be a more balanced Romeo. Not too much lol

On 7/28/2019 at 8:11 PM, rebelcc said:

1. 25-10 (14-6 Big10); 2 nonconf losses; 1 big10tny win, 2 wins in NCAA. 

2. Phinisee, Green, Hunter, Smith, TJD

Green 14ppg 

Phinisee 11ppg, 4apg

Smith 10ppg

TJD 10ppg

Hunter 9ppg

Durham 9ppg

Davis 7ppg

Brunk 7ppg

This was hard...we are a lot deeper than I thought. Several more players like Anderson, Thompson, and Franklin that I feel could be big impacts.

4. Our 3pt percentage will be 39% and our FT% will be 72%

5.  We will be ranked at some point during the season.

Time to add some positivity to this board.

I have a hard time seeing us scoring 77 ppg next season. Not saying it is impossible but I'm one that thinks we will have a tough go, on the offensive end. We will be needing some guys out there to help space the floor. For me and a lot of the others here, HUNTER IS HUGE for the upcoming season. I really hope that kid can come back for selfish reasons and for his personal health reasons. I will continue to reserve my predictions until I see the full schedule. 

14 hours ago, yogisballin said:

I have a hard time seeing us scoring 77 ppg next season. Not saying it is impossible but I'm one that thinks we will have a tough go, on the offensive end. We will be needing some guys out there to help space the floor. For me and a lot of the others here, HUNTER IS HUGE for the upcoming season. I really hope that kid can come back for selfish reasons and for his personal health reasons. I will continue to reserve my predictions until I see the full schedule. 

My post did not indicate how many points our team would score but rather averages per player (perhaps exaggerated but I don't really care).  Last season, our team scored 81.3 ppg if you add up player averages...in all reality, we averaged 71.5 ppg.  Meaning?  You can't add up player averages to get the team average, it doesn't work that way.

With all that said, I still think we are a surprise team this year and offense won't be as hard as everyone believes.

4 hours ago, rebelcc said:

My post did not indicate how many points our team would score but rather averages per player (perhaps exaggerated but I don't really care).  Last season, our team scored 81.3 ppg if you add up player averages...in all reality, we averaged 71.5 ppg.  Meaning?  You can't add up player averages to get the team average, it doesn't work that way.

With all that said, I still think we are a surprise team this year and offense won't be as hard as everyone believes.

I get that it, doesn't add up that way. I wasn't saying that you said that we would avg 77 ppg. I was simply using your numbers on the 8 players that you listed and thought. "I don't see us putting up 77 ppg"...It got me to thinking about what we would possibly do as a team. 

We’ll be above .500 in B1G and make the tourney.

Starting 5 come B1G season:
Brunk
Davis
Al
Green
Rob

Leading scorer will be Davis.

We’ll be above .500 in B1G and make the tourney.

Starting 5 come B1G season:
Brunk
Davis
Al
Green
Rob

Leading scorer will be Davis.

De’Ron DAVIS or Trayce Jackson-DAVIS??? If De’Ron Davis is our leading scorer, then it could be a VERY long season. I would assume Green, Hunter, or TJD will be our leading scorer...with Rob being a dark horse. I would be very surprised if De’Ron is top 3 in scoring.

Non-con 7-4 , Conf 9-11, 0-1 BTT and no post season. for a grand total of 16-16. 

Leading scorer D. Green 16.2ppg 

B1G starting five: Phinisee, Green, Durham, Jackson, Davis. 

Hot take: As expected TJD is tough and competitive....but not all of the roster is. 

Hot take II: Archie appears to be in over his head, starts to lose the fan-base and it impacts recruiting. 

I've been very optimistic going into the last 3 seasons and obviously have been dead wrong, so I hope I am again, but honestly, this is what I see from this team. Unproven (TJD, Hunter,  Franklin) inconsistent (Green, Smith) injury-prone (Phin & Race) or unimpressive (Anderson) I am encouraged by other upbeat posts, but being objective, IU isn't an especially talented team and Archie has been below average so far in his tenure. The conference is still tough too. 

De’Ron DAVIS or Trayce Jackson-DAVIS??? If De’Ron Davis is our leading scorer, then it could be a VERY long season. I would assume Green, Hunter, or TJD will be our leading scorer...with Rob being a dark horse. I would be very surprised if De’Ron is top 3 in scoring.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see De’Ron be the leading scorer if he’s finally able to be healthy and play 25 min/game. He will still be our best option for pure post offense. He’s a real veteran now. Inside/out w/ Rob & Green will only help him get more looks.

I mean who knows.