Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stromboli

Season Predictions 2019-2020

1.  Overall record, B1G record, post-season results, if any (Edit: I went with 30 total games just based on what has been announced, Stuhoo points out we had 35 last year.  Do what your heart says is right)

2.  Starting 5 for first game of BigTen season

3.  Average PPG for top 5 scorers

4.  A hot take

5.  Another hot take

Link to known 2019-20 Games

I'll start:

1.  20-10 (12-8 B1G).  One win in BTT, one win in NCAA.  This has us going undefeated non-con.

2.  Rob Phinisee, Devonte Green, Jerome Hunter, Trayce Jackson-Davis, Joey Brunk

3.  This is tough, without knowing minutes:

14.0     Green

11.5      Phinisee

9.5     Hunter

9.0     TJD

8.5     Davis

4.  Armaan Franklin plays more minutes per game than Justin Smith through the B1G season

5.  We go into 2020 feeling like a B1G Championship is possible

35 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

1.  Overall record, B1G record, post-season results, if any (I'm going with 30 total games)

2.  Starting 5 for first game of BigTen season

3.  Average PPG for top 5 scorers

4.  A hot take

5.  Another hot take

1. Overall: 24-11 (13-7 B1G regular season, 1-1 B1G tourney). One NCAA win. That equates to two out of conference losses, 1 B1G tourney loss, and one NCAA loss. (It's fun to be an optimist!)

2. Phinisee, DGreen, TJD, Smith, DeRon Davis, with Hunter replacing Smith in late January

3. DGreen: 12.5, Phin: 9.5, TJD: 8, DeRon: 8, Durham: 8. Hunter with spot minutes early, and 10 ppg once he gets full rotation minutes.

4. We have seven players averaging over 7 ppg (DGreen, Phin, Hunter, Durham, TJD, DeRon, Smith)

5. DeRon Davis stays healthy, which severely limits Brunk's role. Race Thompson gets over 10 minutes per game, steals most of Brunk's minutes, and is one of our top three in average rebounds per game.

Yesssssssss

1) I’ll go with an 11-9 B1G record, 19-11 (20-11 thanks to Troy) overall. Bow out in the 2nd round of the NCAA. 

2)

Rob

Green

Durham

TJD

De’ron

3)

Green - 15ppg

De’ron - 11ppg

TJD - 11ppg

Al - 9ppg

Rob - 9ppg

4) Devonte Green 1st team all-conference

5) TJD B1G Freshie of the Year

Ummm...Strom and Hova; we played 35 games last year. Need to adjust the total record for more than 30 games.

Looks like we're all hopping aboard the Devonte Green train this year. It's the first time I've ever had that mindset. If Old Friend concurs, we're officially all in on Green!

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Ummm...Strom and Hova; we played 35 games last year. Need to adjust the total record for more than 30 games.

[...]

Yeah, but we can't always count on an exhilarating run through the NIT to pad our stats!

Aaaaand, looks like another non-con game was just announced, Troy University.  #209 last year, but graduated most of their offense.  Sooo, I'm up to 21-10.  

I'm just waiting for some scorching hot takes.  

46 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Yeah, but we can't always count on an exhilarating run through the NIT to pad our stats!

Aaaaand, looks like another non-con game was just announced, Troy University.  #209 last year, but graduated most of their offense.  Sooo, I'm up to 21-10.  

I'm just waiting for some scorching hot takes.  

So you think we're gonna beat Troy St., eh?

That's a bold move, Cotton; right there's your scorching hot take du jour!  ;)

1) I hope I"m wrong but I predict IU's 2019-20 record will be 18-13. We should go undefeated given the weak non-conference schedule, but this is a team that tends to underperform. So I think we will lose (at least) one non-conference game. Then I think we'll go 9-11 in the conference. There are simply too many things that have to change/go right for this team to be better than the 2018-19 team (given the loss of its two best players). One truly bright spot I see is Trayce Jackson-Davis who will be a special player and I predict will be the top freshman in the conference. He may not even begin the season as a starter, but he has too much talent for that to last. Once he has played a few games, he will be the best player on the team. It's too bad there isn't a better supporting cast. I doubt we make the NCAA tournament. Again, I hope I'm wrong, that everyone takes a giant step forward and we end up breaking the streak of not making the tournament. This calculation could change if Jerome Hunter is fully recovered and plays to his potential. Actually, my prediction could improve dramatically if all the players play to their potential, but that isn't something that has happened yet (with one or two exceptions).

2) The starting lineup will change over the course of the year. But by conference play it will be Phinisee, Green, Durham, TJD, Davis. If Jerome Hunter can play and is as good as advertised, he will start at the 3 instead of Durham by the start of conference play. Smith could start the season instead of TJD but as I say TJD will emerge as a star by conference play if not before.

3) Scoring will be:

Jackson-Davis 14 ppg

Hunter (if he is fully recovered)  13 ppg

Green  12.5 ppg

Davis  10  ppg

Phinisee 8 ppg

Smith 8.5 ppg 

4)  Jackson-Davis -- all conference 2nd team

5)  Jackson-Davis--freshman player of the year

3) Scoring will be:

Jackson-Davis 14 ppg    10 PPG

Hunter (if he is fully recovered)  13 ppg    11 PPG, and if he's truly healthy, this number can inflate in a hurry.

Green  12.5 ppg    10 PPG

Durham  10 PPG (You forgot him)

Davis  10  ppg    7 PPG

Phinisee 8 ppg   10 PPG

Smith 8.5 ppg   7 PPG

Franklin    8 PPG

Thompson  2 PPG

Brunk -  5-8 PPG Wild card and I think he will REALLY help.   (Forgot him, too!)

Think we'll be very balanced and a better defensive team.  I'm going with a little optimism.  22-12, and a dangerous NCAA Tournament team.

Hope everyone has had a great summer. Really happy about the Galloway commit! 

1) 19-11 (11-9) In the Big Ten, one win in the BTT and lose in the 1st Rd of the NCAA Tournament. They will be much better but I'm not going to set the ceiling high yet. 

2) Rob Phinisee, Devonte Green, Al Durham, Justin Smith, Trayce Jackson-Davis

3)

Rob- 10 ppg

Devonte- 14 ppg

Al- 9 ppg

Justin-9 ppg

Trayce- 12 ppg

4) Damezi Anderson will be the 6th man of the year in the Big Ten. Think he will be much better. Like Hartman's freshman to sophomore year. 

5) Devonte Green will be 1st team All-Big Ten. After a rough three years I think he will have a very good season and be in posotion to be a 2nd rd NBA Draft pick. 

1.    Overall record 20-15

2.  Starting 5:  Davis, TJD, Rob, Al and Devonte

3.  PPG for top 5 scorers:   I'll leave that one up to you experts but I will pick TJD to be our leading scorer at season end.  

4.  Hot take #1:  Jerome Hunter never logs a minute of action for IU and I really really want to be wrong about this.

5.  Hot take #2:  I'll take Race Thompson to be the 6th man of the year.

9 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

1.    Overall record 20-15

2.  Starting 5:  Davis, TJD, Rob, Al and Devonte

3.  PPG for top 5 scorers:   I'll leave that one up to you experts but I will pick TJD to be our leading scorer at season end.  

4.  Hot take #1:  Jerome Hunter never logs a minute of action for IU and I really really want to be wrong about this.

5.  Hot take #2:  I'll take Race Thompson to be the 6th man of the year.

Boooo!

Overall 23-11, conference 11-9, win one in the BTT, and lose opening NCAA game.

Starting: Phinisee, Green, Smith, TJD, DD

PPG: It will be a balanced attack.

Hot Take #1: Justin Smith is our most improved player.

Hot Take #2: Al and Rob both shoot over 40% from 3.

20-15 (10-10)
NIT semi-final finish

Devonte Green 15
Rob Phinisee 11
Al Durham 7
TJD 9
Deron Davis 13

1) Archie Miller is fired after missing the NCAAT 3 straight years despite making it to NY in the NIT

2) Al Durham goes grad transfer route after season and goes home to GA and reunites with coach that recruited him to IU

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

20-15 (10-10)
NIT semi-final finish

Devonte Green 15
Rob Phinisee 11
Al Durham 7
TJD 9
Deron Davis 13

1) Archie Miller is fired after missing the NCAAT 3 straight years despite making it to NY in the NIT

2) Al Durham goes grad transfer route after season and goes home to GA and reunites with coach that recruited him to IU

Whoa.... I hope not. I’m waiting to see full schedule to post my predictions.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Whoa.... I hope not. I’m waiting to see full schedule to post my predictions.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app
I hope not as well. I'm not being a pessimist for the sake of being a pessimist. I really want Archie and the team to succeed beyond anyone's expectations. However, based on what I have seen with my eyes I do not believe this is a much improved team over last year. I honestly doubt Archie gets fired after year 3 but it's suppose to be a hot take right?

I hope not as well. I'm not being a pessimist for the sake of being a pessimist. I really want Archie and the team to succeed beyond anyone's expectations. However, based on what I have seen with my eyes I do not believe this is a much improved team over last year. I honestly doubt Archie gets fired after year 3 but it's suppose to be a hot take right?

I definitely think if we had a season similar to last year it would get very loud in a hurry and firing is a possibility. I hope we don’t have the year we had, but at this point we have to be realistic to the possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1. 25-10 (14-6 Big10); 2 nonconf losses; 1 big10tny win, 2 wins in NCAA. 

2. Phinisee, Green, Hunter, Smith, TJD

Green 14ppg 

Phinisee 11ppg, 4apg

Smith 10ppg

TJD 10ppg

Hunter 9ppg

Durham 9ppg

Davis 7ppg

Brunk 7ppg

This was hard...we are a lot deeper than I thought. Several more players like Anderson, Thompson, and Franklin that I feel could be big impacts.

4. Our 3pt percentage will be 39% and our FT% will be 72%

5.  We will be ranked at some point during the season.

Time to add some positivity to this board.

Hey ya'll! 

Ricky checkin' in.. it's been a fat minute! Just a little update for ya'll who have been checkin' in on me..

1. My inflammatory anus syndrome is finally in check.. the doctor's had my buttocks on ice for months on end.. it was a long ride, but we've done it.. 'preciate the prayers!

2. As for a season prediction; ya'll already know how the Barrel does it.. we're goin' 1 and 34.. with our one win comin' against Princeton and their powerhouse big man that is Corey Maggette.

For ya'll who've been awaiting my return, 

The Barrel's Back in The Bloom, Baby!

- Barrel Rick, 2019

10 minutes ago, Barrell Rick said:

Hey ya'll! 

Ricky checkin' in.. it's been a fat minute! Just a little update for ya'll who have been checkin' in on me..

1. My inflammatory anus syndrome is finally in check.. the doctor's had my buttocks on ice for months on end.. it was a long ride, but we've done it.. 'preciate the prayers!

2. As for a season prediction; ya'll already know how the Barrel does it.. we're goin' 1 and 34.. with our one win comin' against Princeton and their powerhouse big man that is Corey Maggette.

For ya'll who've been awaiting my return, 

The Barrel's Back in The Bloom, Baby!

- Barrel Rick, 2019

My Barrel Rick inflammableatoryious prayers were answered!

Sweet.