Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2020) SF Jordan Geronimo to Maryland

10 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Good, balanced article / assessment. Crazy to consider JG has 3 years of eligibility, and in that this year isn't necessarily a 'defining' season for him, with Race and TJD leaving next season.

The pluses to his playing more are what I tend to focus on:

- 7th in B1G in blocks and rebounds on a per 40 basis

- highest off board rate on team, 2nd def board and block rate, and that's with

- 3rd highest effective FG rate, 55.9, and with good form on his outside shot and in big game moments

- then there's a point that's been argued here - he's a "better lateral defender" and far better rebounder than Kopp. Uh, yeah.

But the skill development side points are right on, to make that big step some of us think he's about to have, he'll have to

- limit TO's and fouls

- develop his perimeter skills including dribble drive / handle, showing improved outside shooting percentages on more shots 

- improve his FT shooting

I still think he probably starts the season off the bench with Kopp starting (TJD, Race, Kopp, X and one of JHS or Bates, JHS imo), but continues to grow his minutes well into starter (and more importantly finisher) minutes as the season progresses. 

JG's and Bates' growth, imo, is the real key to our season.

Trayce, Race, and X will start, so it's

• Kopp,
  • Jordan G,
  • Tamar,
  • Trey, and
  • JHS

in a battle for two starting positions. It's completely workable with the combination of any two of them. I think Woody doesn't like to tinker with the starting lineup too much, so setting the precedent for the starters at the beginning of the season will be telling.

My current guess? JHS and Tamar.

A happy problem, and an interesting situation. 

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Trayce, Race, and X will start, so it's

• Kopp,
  • Jordan G,
  • Tamar,
  • Trey, and
  • JHS

in a battle for two starting positions. It's completely workable with the combination of any two of them. I think Woody doesn't like to tinker with the starting lineup too much, so setting the precedent for the starters at the beginning of the season will be telling.

My current guess? JHS and Tamar.

A happy problem, and an interesting situation. 

I think we tend to overestimate freshman contributions as starters unless they are absolute studs like Romeo. Tamar was a highly rated recruit last year similar to JHS and didn't contribute much. I'm hoping Tamar takes that next step and is a starter this season. The other spot will go to Kopp I think.

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I think we tend to overestimate freshman contributions as starters unless they are absolute studs like Romeo. Tamar was a highly rated recruit last year similar to JHS and didn't contribute much. I'm hoping Tamar takes that next step and is a starter this season. The other spot will go to Kopp I think.

Each highly rated freshman is different.

Yogi came in as a starter on a top five team. Blackmon (pre-injury), Romeo, Eric Gordon, Cody, Bryant, and Vonleh ALL were ready to start on any veteran team from the get-go. Lander looked lost. Tamar wasn’t lost, but he wasn’t ready to start. All in all? That’s a pretty high “ready” rate.

JHS is a very mature, defense-oriented player. He has a real chance to start from the jump.

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Most 5 stars we’ve gotten have been contributors as freshmen. Lander and Bates were duds, and I think that has soured some on what to expect from top ~30 guys. TJD, Romeo, Bryant, Vonleh, Yogi, Zeller, Gordon, JBJ. They all came in and contributed as freshmen. 5 stars are big contributors at schools across the country. 

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Each highly rated freshman is different.

Yogi came in as a starter on a top five team. Blackmon (pre-injury), Romeo, Eric Gordon, Cody, Bryant, and Vonleh ALL were ready to start on any veteran team from the get-go. Lander looked lost. Tamar wasn’t lost, but he wasn’t ready to start. All in all? That’s a pretty high “ready” rate.

JHS is a very mature, defense-oriented player. He has a real chance to start from the jump.

Further increasing the likelihood that JHS came to IU ready to start (these are true for Reneau coming in ready to play immediately): 

- His body. 6'5", 210 lb. He's already strong. Compare this to Bates (6'4", 175) and Lander (6'2", 165) and you see he is more physically ready for college ball than either of those 2.

- HS competition. He won the HS NC 2 years in a row. Played against lots of very talented players. Practiced against other very talented players.

- Defensive play (which you mentioned). Woodson clearly values good defense and JHS comes in as one of the best defenders in his class. 1 analyst/outlet had him as #1.

It's not guaranteed that either he or Reneau will be ready from day 1 but it is quite likely they will be. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Most 5 stars we’ve gotten have been contributors as freshmen. Lander and Bates were duds, and I think that has soured some on what to expect from top ~30 guys. TJD, Romeo, Bryant, Vonleh, Yogi, Zeller, Gordon, JBJ. They all came in and contributed as freshmen. 5 stars are big contributors at schools across the country. 

To be fair, and it's kind of a stickler thing... But Bates was a 4*, even at #30 in the composite. 

Lander a 5* at 27(2020)

TJD a 4* at 30(2019)

Romeo a 5* at 7(2018)

Bryant a 5* at 20(2015)

JBJ a 5* at 20(2014)

Vonleh a 5* at 11(2013)

Yogi a 5* at 21(2012)

Zeller a 5* at 10(2011)

Gordon 5* at 1(2007)

DJ White 5* at 15(2004)

Those are ALL of the Top 30 recruits since then. Bates definitely looks rough compared to everyone else. There was definitely a ton of hype though. Too much hype really. But I don't think his role is going to be giving us 20 a game but instead being a spark off the bench who could give us 20 on any given night. 

28 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Transfer to Maryland

Wow, that came out of nowhere. Good for him, wish him well. 

Not thrilled to play him 2x next year assuming he has somewhat of an expanded role... but don't think anyone of us is losing sleep about this transfer within the conference 

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

Not to say Geronimo can't have a good game...but I'm not too concerned about him when we play MD. Simply put, I don't think Geronimo is a good player.

But but but he has all the measurables that we want…

I guess players on our roster that shoot 30% from 2 and 8% from 3 and can’t play defense are untouchable from criticism but players that hit the portal is open season 

quoting you but not directed at you. Just waiting for the glass half full crowd to come criticize you which won’t happen because Geronimo hit the portal and lost his protection

24 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I guess players on our roster that shoot 30% from 2 and 8% from 3 and can’t play defense are untouchable from criticism but players that hit the portal is open season 

quoting you but not directed at you. Just waiting for the glass half full crowd to come criticize you which won’t happen because Geronimo hit the portal and lost his protection

I don't think Jordan has been untouchable for a long time.

Just got to hope Geronimo figures some things out on his next stop.   He burst onto the scenes his senior year in high school.   New to the game and very raw.    Potential was always there but at some point potential has to turn into production.    Having an nba coach who has coached the very best in the game of basketball I’m guessing struggled at times with his basketball IQ.     I will never forget the Penn St game still photo of him backwards and out of position.    People will always expect the worst in cases like these.    Wish he didn’t go to Maryland because……

Anthony Lee

Trevor Thompson 

Jordan Tucker

and so on were all misses that IU would regret missing out on when they came back and played IU.     kids move on and so does the program.    Just a little weirder know seeing them in same  conference 

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

I get your point. Though I was never a defender of Geronimo. Just called it like I saw it.