Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2020) SF Jordan Geronimo to Maryland

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Geronimo is still coming into his own as a basketball player also. Very raw but amazing potential 

Eh, I wasn't big on Geronimo for that reason; not really his fault, I just had about enough of 'raw' during the Crean experiment and 'potential' only weighs so much to me.  Liked him more than Cross though, I wanted Cross to stay about as far from Bloomington as possible.

13 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

Even if he’s a little raw, like OG, he’ll come in with basketball skill from day 1. He’s not “Hanner Perea” raw.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Well, I would certainly hope not; that's both raw and lost.  Potential is nice to have, but I always take a cautioned approach there because it's also buried a lot of players not named Perea.

27 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

Even if he’s a little raw, like OG, he’ll come in with basketball skill from day 1. He’s not “Hanner Perea” raw.

Not to derail this, but Perea’s athleticism always confused me. Watching video during his recruitment  his speed & explosion looked otherworldly. When I finally got to watch him live for Lalumiere he was exceptional, but certainly not rare. And then at IU he wasn’t athletically exceptional at all. Strictly a straight line guy. Have watched a ton of kids, never seen that to that degree.

2 minutes ago, Demo said:

Not to derail this, but Perea’s athleticism always confused me. Watching video during his recruitment  his speed & explosion looked otherworldly. When I finally got to watch him live for Lalumiere he was exceptional, but certainly not rare. And then at IU he wasn’t athletically exceptional at all. Strictly a straight line guy. Have watched a ton of kids, never seen that to that degree.

I watched him for LaLu as well.  That caused me to drastically lower expectations for him, he showed he could jump but other than that he was completely lost on the court.

2 minutes ago, Demo said:

I thought he was plenty athletic but consistently a split second behind. Really bad timing.

3 minutes ago, Demo said:

His athleticism was overcome by his complete lack of balance and body control.

Sadly, his lack of coordination led to an incurable disease:

”Hanner Hands”

2 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Well, I would certainly hope not; that's both raw and lost.  Potential is nice to have, but I always take a cautioned approach there because it's also buried a lot of players not named Perea.

IU has also had a lot of “raw” guys develop into good to great players. Oladipo, Sheehey, Troy Williams, OG...

10 hours ago, Demo said:

Perea was classic Crean trying to out-think the room and believe he had a diamond in the rough nobody else had found.   We had 8-10 of those kids under him.  Perea had one ability (I can't even call it a skill).   He could jump.  

Let's not equate Geronimo to Perea or even limit what we think of him simply because we know he has the same ability to jump.  Geronimo looks like, talks like, and acts a lot more like Oladipo than Perea.  But....I hate comparisons of players and I hate worrying about what kids can contribute as freshmen.   We saw a year ago relying on a freshman isn't good business.   Geronimo looks to me to be a kids who'll help the program and given his upward curve of improvement, I really love that he committed to Indiana.

Perea was classic Crean trying to out-think the room and believe he had a diamond in the rough nobody else had found.   We had 8-10 of those kids under him.  Perea had one ability (I can't even call it a skill).   He could jump.  
Let's not equate Geronimo to Perea or even limit what we think of him simply because we know he has the same ability to jump.  Geronimo looks like, talks like, and acts a lot more like Oladipo than Perea.  But....I hate comparisons of players and I hate worrying about what kids can contribute as freshmen.   We saw a year ago relying on a freshman isn't good business.   Geronimo looks to me to be a kids who'll help the program and given his upward curve of improvement, I really love that he committed to Indiana.

I wouldn’t really call it a Crean diamond in the rough scenario. Hanner was a top 100 player and seemed to be one of those guys where his athleticism would allow him to be an all conference type player in college.

1 hour ago, e_powe11 said:

I wouldn’t really call it a Crean diamond in the rough scenario. Hanner was a top 100 player and seemed to be one of those guys where his athleticism would allow him to be an all conference type player in college.

I don’t think Hanner worked on his game much either. He did work on his party skills though. Dorm rooms probably not the best to practice though.

2 hours ago, e_powe11 said:

Hanner was a top 100 player ranked by people who never saw him play.  He got to the top 100 late mostly because he was 6'8" and athletic.   He had "upside."   Rankings outside the obvious top 20-30 or so is one of the most inexact sciences known to man.

1 hour ago, Hardwood83 said:

I don't think that is fair. Crean had plenty of short-comings, including reaching on many players and inconsistent results. But when his guys improved it seems unreasonable to say "they developed themselves".  If he gets blamed for the failures he should get the credit for the successes, imo.  

Yeah, but in Oladipo's case, he's right.  Oladipo played on that 19U team the summer following his freshman year and worked with one of those coaches; not Crean to develop the player he became.   Not necessarily true for all, but true for Oladipo.

25 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Yeah, but in Oladipo's case, he's right.  Oladipo played on that 19U team the summer following his freshman year and worked with one of those coaches; not Crean to develop the player he became.   Not necessarily true for all, but true for Oladipo.

Other than Oladipo and OG I wouldn’t say that we had any truly remarkable players develop under Crean. And even OG was an unfinished product drafted a great deal for potential. Maybe I’m wrong and forgetting somebody but seems to me everybody else he “developed” was either a 5 star or high four talent. Or an upper classmen that was serviceable.

Morgan showed flashes but truly put everything together under Miller. 

Yogi and Bryant both made improvements. OG was a massive one. Oladipo has outside development (just like almost every other player) but Crean still played a significant role. Troy Williams made it onto an NBA roster.

Plenty to bash Crean over, but player development was never one, like it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

6 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Yogi and Bryant both made improvements. OG was a massive one. Oladipo has outside development (just like almost every other player) but Crean still played a significant role. Troy Williams made it onto an NBA roster.

Plenty to bash Crean over, but player development was never one, like it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Two five stars and and a high 4 star were good enough to contribute. Hardly an accomplishment. 

Yes they made improvements but nothing that people didn’t see coming. He didn’t fail them but he hardly did anything special.