Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2021) SF - Aminu Mohammed to Georgetown

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

No. 3 Greenwood advanced to the Blue & Gold semifinal round Friday night with a thrilling, 63-61 comeback victory over No. 6 Mt. Vernon.

The game also served to further Aminu Mohammed’s storied career and cult status among area basketball enthusiasts.

Mohammed, a 5-star junior prospect currently ranked No. 11 in his class by ESPN, poured in 36 points and grabbed 21 rebounds in the win.

Perhaps even more impressive?

Greenwood’s defense recorded three consecutive stops in the final minute thanks to a trio of Mohammed blocks under the basket — all while saddled with four fouls.

Blue Jays head coach Darren Taylor praised Mohammed’s body control and court awareness on the plays, two of which ended up in the hands of Greenwood players.

“Most of the time when you block a shot, it’s either going to go out of bounds or back to the team that had the ball,” Taylor said. “Most block shots don’t result in a possession for you. He’s able to do that — control it sometimes — but he’s obviously an explosive leaper.

https://www.news-leader.com/videos/sports/high-school/2019/12/28/blue-and-gold-aminu-mohammed-comes-up-big-block-win/2762907001/

The block that ends the game. You can see this coming from about half court.

The Greenwood Blue Jays improved to 10-0 Saturday as as they displayed resolve down the stretch to hang on and pull off the upset against the Ozark Tigers, 51-47, at the Gold Division semifinals.  The Jays entered the tilt as the No. 3 seed and Ozark was favored as the two seed.  The Blue Jays aren’t done though, as they have a date with Kickapoo at 8:30 p.m. Monday for the Gold Division championship.

Junior Aminu Mohammed led all scorers with 34 points.

Ozark doubled Mohammed all night long, but it didn’t seem to matter as the junior and 2018-19 state champion still did damage via dribble penetration and often times utilizing his patent spin move as he navigated his way through the paint.

So, how does a player net 34 points while being doubled and bracketed for the entire 32 minutes of play?  “It is just the hard work I have been putting in all summer,” he said. “That just pays off right now. Doubling me and everything, some of our players, we have a bunch of freshmen who are playing well.”

NOTE:  23 of his points came in the 2nd half and he grabbed 19 rebounds.

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The Greenwood Blue Jays improved to 10-0 Saturday as as they displayed resolve down the stretch to hang on and pull off the upset against the Ozark Tigers, 51-47, at the Gold Division semifinals.  The Jays entered the tilt as the No. 3 seed and Ozark was favored as the two seed.  The Blue Jays aren’t done though, as they have a date with Kickapoo at 8:30 p.m. Monday for the Gold Division championship.

Junior Aminu Mohammed led all scorers with 34 points.

Ozark doubled Mohammed all night long, but it didn’t seem to matter as the junior and 2018-19 state champion still did damage via dribble penetration and often times utilizing his patent spin move as he navigated his way through the paint.

So, how does a player net 34 points while being doubled and bracketed for the entire 32 minutes of play?  “It is just the hard work I have been putting in all summer,” he said. “That just pays off right now. Doubling me and everything, some of our players, we have a bunch of freshmen who are playing well.”

NOTE:  23 of his points came in the 2nd half and he grabbed 19 rebounds.

Kickapoo is by far the best team Mohammed will play against all year. #8 ranked team in class 5, which is our big school class. Has a '21 PG named Brookshire who has mid-major offers and has been watched by Mizzou and Iowa St. Could be a fun game to watch if there's a stream somewhere. Could also be an utter beating.

Greenwood wins the Blue and Gold Tournament 65-55 over Kickapoo.

AMINU MOHAMMED’S HISTORIC NIGHT SENDS GREENWOOD TO FIRST BLUE & GOLD TITLE

Records set.  An all-time player upping his game to an unprecedented level. A long-awaited championship for the host school. Monday was a historic night for Greenwood athletics and star guard Aminu Mohammed.  He poured in a tournament-record 49 points as Greenwood defeated Class 5 Kickapoo 65-55 for the Gold Division title at JQH Arena.  “It’s special, but it’s not special without my teammates,” said Mohammed, who added 22 rebounds in the win. “My teammates made it special for me.”

The Blue Jays have hosted the Blue and Gold Tournament for 74 years, but had never won a championship in the event before Monday night.  Greenwood, a Class 2 school, knocked off four bigger schools (Camdenton, Mt. Vernon, Ozark and Kickapoo) along the way.

Mohammed, a top recruit nationally in the Class of 2021, awed an estimated crowd of 7,500 and set three tournament records in the process.

• Most points in a Blue and Gold game: 49
• Most points in one Blue and Gold Tournament: 155
• Most field goals made in one Blue and Gold Tournament: 57

Mohammed saved his best for last. He accounted for 27 of Greenwood’s 28 second-half points.

“I’ve seen a lot of special things because I’ve coached him for two years now. Tonight, it was a whole new level,” Taylor said. “He put on a show for anybody that was here, and it looked like there were several people here.”

Mohammed said he wasn’t aware during the game that he had a shot at breaking the single-game scoring record.  “I didn’t know (about it) until I heard people telling me,” Mohammed said.

Mohammed said he adjusted his game in the second half.  “In the first half, I took some bad shots. Crazy shots,” Mohammed said. “They always say, ‘Use your strength. Play to where you’re strongest.’ For me, that’s mid-range. So, I took advantage of that. I know defenders can’t jump all the way up to contest that shot, and I’m going to make that shot.”