Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2021) SF - Aminu Mohammed to Georgetown

As far as a decision, he will aim to make his college choice likely in November or December. They’re aiming to do it at Greenwood’s Blue and Gold game or the BassPro tournament, both take place this fall.

https://stockrisers.f5sports.com/s/90/five-star-aminu-mohammed-updates-his-recruitment

It would be interesting to know if the coaching staff knows exactly how much communication is needed with each individual recruit. Or if the frequency of communication directly ties to their interest. Here, Aminu notes that IU hasn’t been in contact since last week while Kaufman says that he hears from IU every other day, at least.

It could be that Aminu and his guardian would prefer coaches not contacting him every day and have told coaches this or maybe IU isn’t putting in the same effort to get him as they are Kaufman. OR I could just be reading way too much into it (probably).

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I was already nervous about this recruitment with the speculation by several journalists that he could skip college and go straight to the G-League. The frequent deference to his guardian in this interview when asked about several key recruiting questions doesn't make me feel any better.

This is a good kid.  But this is the type of kid you will go through a guardian.  International kid.  Let’s put it this way.  This is mostly how the Hanner Perea recruitment went and he was mainly a 4* across the board.  It’s not abnormal to deal with a handler but you know what you are getting into.  

5 hours ago, tomallenfan said:

It would be interesting to know if the coaching staff knows exactly how much communication is needed with each individual recruit. Or if the frequency of communication directly ties to their interest. Here, Aminu notes that IU hasn’t been in contact since last week while Kaufman says that he hears from IU every other day, at least.

It could be that Aminu and his guardian would prefer coaches not contacting him every day and have told coaches this or maybe IU isn’t putting in the same effort to get him as they are Kaufman. OR I could just be reading way too much into it (probably).

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Pretty spot on with recruiting in general in your first paragraph. Get to know a kid when you first start recruiting and then get a feel for how they like to be communicated with. If you don’t strike the right balance, that alone can lose you a kid you might otherwise get. 

5 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Another fall league game stats for Mohammed.  22 pts, 5 reb, 8 asst.

I’m guessing Mohammed’s stat line will look a little closer to those this season than the video game numbers of the last couple.  Greenwood has a 6’8” mid-major kid, a 6’3” wing shooter getting mid-major looks and a 6’6” Soph that Mo St has already offered. In other words, they’re gonna beat down everyone in their class. They probably won’t play more than a half dozen competitive games all year. Combine that with the fact that they have been conspicuously working the kid as a facilitator all summer and I imagine he probably averages something like a triple double and just takes over games when necessary. I like it from a skill development and game management standpoint, but ultimately the kid’s ability to score it is why he’s a pro.

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

IMO there is one MAJOR new nugget in that interview:

“We talked about possibly him coming to school early,” Harmon said.  “We don’t know how this COVID thing is going to go.  Some of his season might get canceled, and Coach Hunter brought up coming to school early in January.  They’ve got a couple of other kids possibly doing that.

So, we know that IU would take Aminu early, but a couple?!? It’s awfully good to have two open rides this year. Paging Trey Kaufman.

I am with you @Stuhoo, on paper CAM has two available scholarships open this season so I would assume those are earmarked for Trey and Aminu joining the club in January, I would be curious to learn who the other names are.  I do like CAM's approach here, transform the challenge, e.g. general uncertainty over the prep season, into a differentiator for the program, e.g. come to Indiana early and train with Clif.