Jump to content

Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Recommended Posts

With a state championship comes a target on your back.  The Greenwood Blue Jays welcome that challenge.  Greenwood passed one of its biggest early season tests Tuesday night in impressive fashion.  The Blue Jays used a dominant third quarter to pull away from Class 4 state-ranked Logan-Rogersville and win going away, 61-49.

Junior guard Aminu Mohammed had a game-high 31 points and 18 rebounds, while sophomore guard Tommy Pinegar hit a 3-pointer in each quarter and finished with 12 points.

Greenwood, which won the Pierce City Tournament last week, improved to 4-0 overall.  The Blue Jays entered this season as defending state champs and the No. 1-ranked team in the MBCA/MOSports.com Class 2 preseason poll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Jake Weingarten - 

Indiana will send an assistant in this Thursday for five-star junior Aminu Mohammed, his guardian told @Stockrisers.

Ok, this math may be too tempting to pass up: 1) watching a truly great high school player + 2) the opportunity for him to show out in front of a high major Asst + 3) playing a school they could probably beat 4 on 5 = Mohammed will score exactly as many he wants to. My office is like 3 1/2 hrs from Greenwood, but even on a Thursday night I may not be able to help myself. So y’all might get a live report on this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I drove down for the game and Bruiser was there. Talked to him for a couple of minutes at the half. I wasn’t keeping a book on Mohammed, and I’m sure Old Fart,  being the box score bloodhound that he is, will find them, but I had him at roughly 47pts/ 20 or so  rebs/6 blocks. Sat the last 4:30 of a 25pt win. Could have scored 60 if he’d wanted to. The kid’s just a great player. Has smoothed out some leftward drift in his jumpshot and now has a clean, simple action. Goes to the rim with complete abandon and is basically oblivious to contact. He is gonna shoot a ton of FT’s in college. If the NCAA really tries to limit step in charges, Mohammed is so strong, physical anod explosive that he would be basically unguardable 1 on 1 by most college guards. Also love his demeanor. He doesn’t bark, doesn’t get frustrated, nothing. Just plays relentlessly and never stops. I need to see more of Wesley, but from the couple of partial streams I’ve been able to watch, the 2 kids aren’t remotely comparable. 
Bruiser was sitting alone about 20ft from me, so at the half I wandered over, tapped him on the shoulder, and said, ‘Coach, you need to make this happen.” He starts howling and says, “Yeah, you’re not the first one who’s said that.” 

Gold.


Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Demo said:

I drove down for the game and Bruiser was there. Talked to him for a couple of minutes at the half. I wasn’t keeping a book on Mohammed, and I’m sure Old Fart,  being the box score bloodhound that he is, will find them, but I had him at roughly 47pts/ 20 or so  rebs/6 blocks.

Great report and appreciate you made the drive to give us a first hand account.  My bloodhound nose must be stuffed up with a cold because thus far I'm striking out on finding any of Mohammed's stats.  I'll keep looking as some of my sources don't update until around the noon hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Great report and appreciate you made the drive to give us a first hand account.  My bloodhound nose must be stuffed up with a cold because thus far I'm striking out on finding any of Mohammed's stats.  I'll keep looking as some of my sources don't update until around the noon hour.

Watching the kid is kind of fascinating for what it says about Indiana HS basketball. Greenwood plays in a gym that seats about 200. I’ve been there twice and it’s been about 3/4 full. Also saw a road game that had a couple hundred people. They won a state championship last year and could win 1 or 2 more. By the time he graduates Mohammed will probably be one of the most accomplished players in the history of the state. In Indiana he’d be Eric Gordon and selling out everywhere they play. Here, nobody gives a s**t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Demo said:

Watching the kid is kind of fascinating for what it says about Indiana HS basketball. Greenwood plays in a gym that seats about 200. I’ve been there twice and it’s been about 3/4 full. Also saw a road game that had a couple hundred people. They won a state championship last year and could win 1 or 2 more. By the time he graduates Mohammed will probably be one of the most accomplished players in the history of the state. In Indiana he’d be Eric Gordon and selling out everywhere they play. Here, nobody gives a s**t.

In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Demo said:

Watching the kid is kind of fascinating for what it says about Indiana HS basketball. Greenwood plays in a gym that seats about 200. I’ve been there twice and it’s been about 3/4 full. Also saw a road game that had a couple hundred people. They won a state championship last year and could win 1 or 2 more. By the time he graduates Mohammed will probably be one of the most accomplished players in the history of the state. In Indiana he’d be Eric Gordon and selling out everywhere they play. Here, nobody gives a s**t.

To be fair he is playing in a tiny school in Springfield. If he were in St Louis it'd be a different story. Went to many a Chaminade game when Brad Beal and Jayson Tatum were there (no overlap obviously) and it was always a packed house home and away. Obviously not Indiana sized gyms, but still a big deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Demo put the pressure on me earlier today but I didn't crack!  lol     Also take note, Demo's points and rebound numbers were right on the money.  Kudos my man.

2021 G Animu Mohammed of Greenwood had 47 PTS and 20 REB in a 77-56 victory over Weaubleau.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really good news.  You can watch Mohammed's last 2 games against Weaubleau and Billings complete with play-by-play.  Free site.

http://www.citylinktv.com/channel/kickapoo-chiefs/

 

At the conclusion of the Weaubleau game, the announcers credited Mohammed with 50 points and said he didn't hit a single 3 until sometime in the second half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×