Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2021) SF - Aminu Mohammed to Georgetown

14 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I have to think it's between IU and U6.

If that's the case, I don't like those odds. We rarely come out ahead against pay schools like Louisville, Memphis, LSU, etc.

I mean, Louisville pushed really hard for both Romeo and Lander. I don't see a reason to be pessimistic yet

Agree with Lander absolutely. Romeo is a different story because Louisville was under a cloud of Strippers and hookers when this recruitment was going strong.

I like our chances here moderately despite Louisville because the handler’s affinity for Indiana.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

22 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Agree with Lander absolutely. Romeo is a different story because Louisville was under a cloud of Strippers and hookers when this recruitment was going strong.

I like our chances here moderately despite Louisville because the handler’s affinity for Indiana.

Hope you're right on this Wayne.

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Isn’t Louisville still under that cloud technically? The NCAA hasn’t really dropped any hammers from the FBI stuff. Has to at some point you’d think. 

But knowing the NCAA, they'll use COVID-19 as an excuse to delay any action against Hookerville and it will just keep dragging and dragging and dragging until it's just forgotten.   Did I mention I'm cynical about the NCAA's ability to manage college sports when they couldn't effectively manage a Kool Aid stand.

Darn Straight OF. As long as their pockets get lined they could give a rats behind about everything else.

Only way to get in trouble. Turn yourself in or have someone else tattle on you.

4 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

But knowing the NCAA, they'll use COVID-19 as an excuse to delay any action against Hookerville and it will just keep dragging and dragging and dragging until it's just forgotten.   Did I mention I'm cynical about the NCAA's ability to manage college sports when they couldn't effectively manage a Kool Aid stand.

They’re just waiting for the FBI to finish so they can decide how lenient they can be without facing an immense amount of backlash. If the FBI absolutely hammers them and the NCAA gave them a slap on the wrist, it would expose the NCAA’s ineptitude to the casual college sports followers and possibly jeopardize the organization (the more serious followers already know their M.O.). Why take the risk when you can let the feds do the work and tailor your response to fit the court’s ruling? 

Personally, any shred of respect I had for the NCAA set sail with their decision in the UNC scandal.

10 hours ago, Bigred3588 said:

They’re just waiting for the FBI to finish so they can decide how lenient they can be without facing an immense amount of backlash. If the FBI absolutely hammers them and the NCAA gave them a slap on the wrist, it would expose the NCAA’s ineptitude to the casual college sports followers and possibly jeopardize the organization (the more serious followers already know their M.O.). Why take the risk when you can let the feds do the work and tailor your response to fit the court’s ruling? 

Personally, any shred of respect I had for the NCAA set sail with their decision in the UNC scandal.

Ya.  I can see the NCAA letting this sit, and sit, and sit, and then when forced to do something, hand down some feeble "punishment" and say it's been so long that the violations occurred it wouldn't be fair to those currently involved in the program.

Good old Sam Story over on TOS is comparing Aminu Mohammed to Armaan Franklin.

I mean, I've never seen him play live so my impression of him is built off of scout reports and rankings, but if he's right then we should probably avoid signing him.  I do like Franklin, and think he will be a very valuable guard going forward for the team.

FWIW I don't think Armaan Franklin would be putting up video game like numbers, even in lower class Missouri high school basketball.  Plus Mohammed has had some pretty damn good games against elite competition too.

I mean, I've never seen him play live so my impression of him is built off of scout reports and rankings, but if he's right then we should probably avoid signing him.  I do like Franklin, and think he will be a very valuable guard going forward for the team.
FWIW I don't think Armaan Franklin would be putting up video game like numbers, even in lower class Missouri high school basketball.  Plus Mohammed has had some pretty damn good games against elite competition too.

That’s cringe worthy and tells me he has never watched him.

52 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

I rarely frequent that board, but a friend of mine sent me Story’s post. He got the desired laugh out of me.

His assessment is either, a) fundamentally unserious, or, b) wildly uninformed. Franklin is gonna have a really nice 4 year college career as a useful rotational piece. Mohammed is gonna have a really nice, probably, 2 year career as an alpha scorer before he begins a long NBA career. They aren’t remotely comparable. 

On 4/9/2020 at 7:04 PM, Demo said:

That’ll be the question, no matter where he lands. I’ve seen the kid a total of 10 times and never seen him play a second of man to man. His team plays 2-3, and they play him on a back line wing, and some 3/4 court trap where he’s protecting the rim. It’s clear he’s been told not to foul. He’s active and engaged but not aggressive, particularly in the 1st half. In the 2nd half of games he becomes more aggressive, going for blocks and steals. He’s got good defensive traits, but playing within a disciplined defensive scheme will be by far his biggest adjustment in college.

That's really interesting - always great to hear first hand insights.

I've been watching a ton of his and a few other recruits footage while on lockdown and have become super high on this kid..enough so that it was one of the reasons i stopped lurking around the forum. (and that SS' post is bonkers on so many levels..)

I found a few clips of full unedited EYBL games where he played man to man for some stretches. I know it's AAU ball but I was relatively impressed. I don't know how relevant it is because it seems like these wing defenders are left on an island during every PnR.

He seemed to generally have good awareness, anticipation and effort. He's definitely going to be very switchable. He seemed to fall back on his length, frame & athleticism to bail him out if he was out of position & recovering..and sometimes it worked.  If / when he learns how to partner that physicality with strong fundamentals & good use of angles, he could be a D monster. 

1 of the reasons I like him so much is how he translates so well to Archie's defensive schemes. His length & athleticism should make him elite at closing out, cutting off drives & help D, plus he's a great rebounder (HS stats are inflated but he showed he can snag during AAU).   

That's really interesting - always great to hear first hand insights.
I've been watching a ton of his and a few other recruits footage while on lockdown and have become super high on this kid..enough so that it was one of the reasons i stopped lurking around the forum. (and that SS' post is bonkers on so many levels..)
I found a few clips of full unedited EYBL games where he played man to man for some stretches. I know it's AAU ball but I was relatively impressed. I don't know how relevant it is because it seems like these wing defenders are left on an island during every PnR.
He seemed to generally have good awareness, anticipation and effort. He's definitely going to be very switchable. He seemed to fall back on his length, frame & athleticism to bail him out if he was out of position & recovering..and sometimes it worked.  If / when he learns how to partner that physicality with strong fundamentals & good use of angles, he could be a D monster. 
1 of the reasons I like him so much is how he translates so well to Archie's defensive schemes. His length & athleticism should make him elite at closing out, cutting off drives & help D, plus he's a great rebounder (HS stats are inflated but he showed he can snag during AAU).   

Agreed. His game just translates to what Archie is trying to do. I want fit as much as skill, but this kid has both in spades.

56 minutes ago, Demo said:

I rarely frequent that board, but a friend of mine sent me Story’s post. He got the desired laugh out of me.

His assessment is either, a) fundamentally unserious, or, b) wildly uninformed. Franklin is gonna have a really nice 4 year college career as a useful rotational piece. Mohammed is gonna have a really nice, probably, 2 year career as an alpha scorer before he begins a long NBA career. They aren’t remotely comparable. 

Yeah I respect healthy critique and discussion, but I just don't understand that comparison he's trying to make. Screams of wanting attention imo.

I get being critical and skeptical of recruiting rankings, I do. We've been burned by them before, i.e. look at the high ranking of Perea and low ranking of OG or Victor Oladipo. 

So I read that post on the other site and he followed up to clarify a bit. Says Aminu’s shooting and defense have a long way to go before they are college ready but thinks his defense will be fine eventually (athletic and long). Said no college coach is going to give heavy minutes to a guard who can’t shoot and can’t defend.

not comparing him to Franklin 1:1 which would be silly but seems to think Mohammed would have a similar impact year 1.

Makes more sense but I still don’t quite believe it.