Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2021) SF - Aminu Mohammed to Georgetown

20 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It took 3 years at Indiana for Crean. I though coaches needed time? I thought 2 years wasn’t long enough? Or does that only apply to Archie?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Every set of circumstances and every fan's expectations are different (of course), but Archie's year 3 was so, so, SO much better than Crean's year three.

Archie was 20-12 in year 3, Crean was 12-20 and 3-15 in the B1G for last freakin place. And that was with Hulls, Watford as sophs and VO as a freshman.

Crean's year four was really good - Sweet 16 and all. But it wasn't THAT extraordinary: 27-9 with a crap out of conference strength of schedule, 11-7 in conference, and a second round BTT exit.

I know that our strength of schedule is really tough next year, but I firmly believe that 27-9 and 11-7 in conference (now 12-8 as a comparable) is more than achievable.

It comes down to recruiting the right pieces and how fast you can do it.

If Crean would have landed a Zeller-type in his first recruiting class and another piece as good, the winning would have started sooner than it did.

I understand the 3 year window but that clearly doesn’t always lead to success.

Good question as an example. How would Memphis’ season looked if Wiseman played the full slate? I believe winning can happen quickly in the one n done era. BUT that takes a great coach and finding an Uber talent or 2 or 3.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It comes down to recruiting the right pieces and how fast you can do it.

If Crean would have landed a Zeller-type in his first recruiting class and another piece as good, the winning would have started sooner than it did.

I understand the 3 year window but that clearly doesn’t always lead to success.

Good question as an example. How would Memphis’ season looked if Wiseman played the full slate? I believe winning can happen quickly in the one n done era. BUT that takes a great coach and finding an Uber talent or 2 or 3.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

He did just have an amazing talent and did next nothing with him. 

He did just have an amazing talent and did next nothing with him. 

And what about the talent around that kid? They had a roster of 9 freshmen, 2 sophomores, 1 Junior, 3 Seniors. I couldn’t imagine the amount of excuse making there would be made for Archie if he had a roster like that. “We were really young” Or the infamous, “He doesn’t have his recruits” It’s going to take Crean 3-5 years to get anything resembling a program there.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Louisville’s Chris Mack and staff will virtually meet with five-star junior Aminu Mohammed on Wednesday, his guardian, Shawn Harmon told @Stockrisers.  Georgia also set to speak with him this week. Pittsburgh, Indiana, Maryland, amongst others, remain in mix.

Is there any way to make sure its actually the Louisville staff on the other end of that webcam?

7 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Georgetown’s Patrick Ewing just called five-star junior Aminu Mohammed and extended him an offer, his guardian, Shawn Harmon told @Stockrisers

I doubt Ewing is there for the 21 season. But who knows maybe being a legend will buy him extra time. 

Georgia offered yesterday.  If history is reliable, Crean probably already has more offers out to the '21 class than the number of days we've been in quarantine.   Purely as a frame of reference, we currently have 8 offers on the table to the '21 class.  We had 3 offers that formally committed elsewhere.  Truly a contrast in recruiting styles.

Georgia offered yesterday.  If history is reliable, Crean probably already has more offers out to the '21 class than the number of days we've been in quarantine.   Purely as a frame of reference, we currently have 8 offers on the table to the '21 class.  We had 3 offers that formally committed elsewhere.  Truly a contrast in recruiting styles.

23 offers from Crean. With 3 committing elsewhere. Warm on Peyton Daniels(108/PG), Chance Moore(69/SG), Jonathan Kuminga(1/SF), Kaleb Washington(99/SF), Jabari Smith(5/PF), Moussa Cisse(8/PF), Michael Foster(9/PF), Jaden Hardy(6/CG). So he’s warm on 5 of the top ten. Maybe it’s easier to recruit to Georgia. Or maybe he learned something.

24 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

23 offers from Crean. With 3 committing elsewhere. Warm on Peyton Daniels(108/PG), Chance Moore(69/SG), Jonathan Kuminga(1/SF), Kaleb Washington(99/SF), Jabari Smith(5/PF), Moussa Cisse(8/PF), Michael Foster(9/PF), Jaden Hardy(6/CG). So he’s warm on 5 of the top ten. Maybe it’s easier to recruit to Georgia. Or maybe he learned something.

Or a booster is working behind the scenes

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Highly, highly doubt he ends up there, but Crean has a pretty good pitch: 1) 3 2 guards drafted in the top 5, assuming Edwards is, 2 of whom weren’t highly regarded coming in, 2) a ton of film of him using Vic in a way that would fit Mohammed almost perfectly( not as much the way he used Edwards), 3) Harmon is the son of a Pastor and he tweets about his faith all the time. So I imagine Crean’s overt faith would play well with him, though I assume based on his place of birth, that Mohammed is Muslim.

Jake Weingarten of Stockrisers - 

Greenwood’s Aminu Mohammed has remained five-star status over his high school career and there’s many reasons why. The dynamic-wing averaged nearly a triple-double during his first two seasons and continues the success during year three.

According to 247Sports, Mohammed is the No. 15 ranked player in the composite rankings and is the fourth-rated small forward.

He’s seen his recruitment grow over the past two years in drastic ways. Blue bloods didn’t show much interest but many high-majors are involved in his recruitment.

Among the programs involved: Kansas State, Louisville, Georgia, Pittsburgh, Indiana, Wake Forest, amongst many others. Out of this list, many of the head coaches have conducted several virtual calls and will continue that stretch.

The first head coach to reach out when the pandemic started: Louisville’s Chris Mack. Since, Mohammed says that they call at least once a week.

Indiana’s Archie Miller conducted a full-staff zoom meeting with Mohammed weeks back and according to his guardian Shawn Harmon, it went extremely well and Miller emphasized that he’s a priority.

In addition, Georgetown, Wake Forest Pittsburgh, and Georgia are the newer programs involved as all three offered a scholarship over the last two weeks.

“All coaches are saying that they see me as a dynamic player that can really elevate their program and they’d love to coach me.”

As far as those new programs go, all remain in consistent contact but Mohammed said that Georgia is making a major push and hasn’t stopped contacting him since they offered.     [OF comment:  Shades of "I've been thinking of you a lot"]

No new programs are involved since and as far as timetables for, it’s likely that he will wait till on-campus visits are allowed.