Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2021) SF - Aminu Mohammed to Georgetown

Would be an interesting dynamic to watch. A kid showing up mid season and learning the off and def concepts on the fly. Can’t really think of a circumstance quite like it. Normally I’d think a kid like that would have no chance to really contribute, particularly when the roster has some depth on the wing. But, with all due deference to the Sam Story’s of the world, Mohammed’s just flat better than those kids. Eventually, talent wins out.

7 minutes ago, Demo said:

Would be an interesting dynamic to watch. A kid showing up mid season and learning the off and def concepts on the fly. Can’t really think of a circumstance quite like it. Normally I’d think a kid like that would have no chance to really contribute, particularly when the roster has some depth on the wing. But, with all due deference to the Sam Story’s of the world, Mohammed’s just flat better than those kids. Eventually, talent wins out.

For me, there's two players who could lose minutes to Aminu in February/March/April: Trey Galloway and Armaan Franklin. Just thinking that the level of conditioning for Aminu to be effective makes it a high goal to contribute in the 20/21 season.

Who do you think, taking everything into account, would contribute more to our winning games in Feb/March/April; a second semester sophomore Armaan Franklin, or a one month with the team Aminu Mohammed?

4 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Found this from an old SI.com story on Mohammed. According to this, he could NOT play this season -- which I thought was the case. He'd just be enrolling early. Not sure why he (or anybody) would cut their senior season short if they couldn't play right away, but that's apparently something that interests him. I read that he's a pretty good student, so maybe he actually wants to get a jump-start on a degree, then leave early if he's deemed good enough for the NBA??? Only he knows for sure ... 

Could he play this season?

No, Mohammed wouldn't be eligible to play for Indiana or any other school during the 2020-21 season.

He is not reclassifying to the class of 2020 like Khristian Lander did. He is still a 2021 recruit, but he would just be enrolling early.

This happens a lot with football players.

Take last season, for example, a number of 2020 recruits enrolled early on Indiana's football team. Even though the football team had played a majority of its games already in 2019, they still had the Gator Bowl on Jan. 2, 2020.

So, the players that enrolled early got to participate in some of the Gator Bowl practices, but they weren't actually eligible to play in the game.

This would be the case for Mohammed. He would be able to practice with Indiana's team throughout most of the Big Ten season, but he wouldn't be able to play in any games.

It would help him get acclimated to college faster and would only help him become more prepared for the 2021-22 season.

Well if that's the case our current glut of players at the 2/3 might be a plus for him--battling in practice with Al, Trey, and Armaan.

Then, he could easily envision himself stepping into Al's minutes the next season.

Or, he can play for Crean and get 25 shots a game promised to him. ;)

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Or, he can play for Crean and get 25 shots a game promised to him. ;)

LOL! ... According to that same story (I'll link to it below), a school has to have a scholly open now if he wants to enroll early and accept a scholarship. Georgetown and Georgia -- on his list -- are currently at their limit.

Then again, we know Crean isn't shy about giving someone the boot to clear space! Doing so at mid-semester would be a really bad optic, however. 

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/recruiting/aminu-mohammed-early-enrollment-indiana-basketball-recruiting

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

For me, there's two players who could lose minutes to Aminu in February/March/April: Trey Galloway and Armaan Franklin.

Who do you think, taking everything into account, would contribute more to our winning games in Feb/March/April; a second semester sophomore Armaan Franklin, or a one month with the team Aminu Mohammed?

Good question. My assumption all along has been that he wouldn’t actually play this year. Philosophically, I’m very much a talent over experience guy. But this is a different deal. Not only would he have to learn the schemes, including all of the secondary actions, but he’d have to learn where everyone functions best within those actions. And he’d have to learn it largely while playing meaningful games. That’s asking a lot. I love the kid, but if he’s able to do that, than he’s a freakin’ savant. With even a month of dedicated prep he’s in the rotation from the jump, no doubt. But like this? No idea. But he’s so talented, he plays so hard and he’s ready physically. I would think eventually he would be very hard to sit.

19 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Found this from an old SI.com story on Mohammed. According to this, he could NOT play this season -- which I thought was the case. He'd just be enrolling early. Not sure why he (or anybody) would cut their senior season short if they couldn't play until next fall, but that's apparently something that interests him. I read that he's a pretty good student, so maybe he actually wants to get a jump-start on a degree, then leave early if he's deemed good enough for the NBA???

Only he knows for sure ... 

Could he play this season?

No, Mohammed wouldn't be eligible to play for Indiana or any other school during the 2020-21 season.

He is not reclassifying to the class of 2020 like Khristian Lander did. He is still a 2021 recruit, but he would just be enrolling early.

This happens a lot with football players.

Take last season, for example, a number of 2020 recruits enrolled early on Indiana's football team. Even though the football team had played a majority of its games already in 2019, they still had the Gator Bowl on Jan. 2, 2020.

So, the players that enrolled early got to participate in some of the Gator Bowl practices, but they weren't actually eligible to play in the game.

This would be the case for Mohammed. He would be able to practice with Indiana's team throughout most of the Big Ten season, but he wouldn't be able to play in any games.

It would help him get acclimated to college faster and would only help him become more prepared for the 2021-22 season.

That fits what I’ve always s understood the plan to be. One question: if he doesn’t reclassify to 20-21, is he eligible to take a 20-21 scholarship? I assume, yes?

21 minutes ago, Demo said:

That fits what I’ve always s understood the plan to be. One question: if he doesn’t reclassify to 20-21, is he eligible to take a 20-21 scholarship? I assume, yes?

Yes. In fact, he can only be in school on scholarship in January if he does take a 20-21 scholly. I suppose he can pay his own way for a semester, then go on a 21-22 scholarship, but I cannot imagine he'd have an interest in that. And this works a little to our advantage: we currently have scholarships available; other schools interested in him do not. 

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

K State?  Wow. 

K State was, I believe, his 1st offer. Webber has done well in St Louis in the past. Xavier Sneed, Davion Bradford, couple of other kids. I suppose it could be a Bruce Brown situation, though I doubt it.

I'm not holding my breath on landing Aminu for 2020 (spring) or 2021.  The offer has been there for awhile and it feels like he could have pulled the trigger a number of different times but has waited.  Not only has he waited, he's also fielded more offers.  Just doesn't seem like he's convinced IU would get him to where he wants to go.  I'd love to hear what is being said about IU and Archie on the recruiting trail these days.

Just for shits and gigs though...  We could go smaller and crazy athletic in the near future.

PG:  Phin, Lander

SG/SW: Franklin, Galloway, Aminu, Leal

BW:  Hunter, Geronimo

C:  Thompson, Duncomb

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

I'm not holding my breath on landing Aminu for 2020 (spring) or 2021.  The offer has been there for awhile and it feels like he could have pulled the trigger a number of different times but has waited.  Not only has he waited, he's also fielded more offers.  Just doesn't seem like he's convinced IU would get him to where he wants to go.  I'd love to hear what is being said about IU and Archie on the recruiting trail these days.

Just for shits and gigs though...  We could go smaller and crazy athletic in the near future.

PG:  Phin, Lander

SG/SW: Franklin, Galloway, Aminu, Leal

BW:  Hunter, Geronimo

C:  Thompson, Duncomb

That’s a solid team without Aminu.

Just saying.

Just now, Stuhoo said:

That’s a solid team without Aminu.

Just saying.

Solid small ball team.  If we were a member of the Big East, ACC, or SEC I think we could compete.  Being a member of the "football on hardwood" conference, that team would struggle to defend and rebound.  We're very thin in the front court.  A couple of grad transfer or JUCO 4/5s would give me more confidence. 

Thompson has the girth to defend 5s, for short stretches.  Duncomb will struggle his freshman season.

Hunter has the ability to defend smaller 4s.  Geronimo could be a serviceable defender for smaller 4s or for short stretches against bigger 4s with added muscle and experience.

That's counting on A LOT to just have serviceable players at the 4/5 for next season.

Solid small ball team.  If we were a member of the Big East, ACC, or SEC I think we could compete.  Being a member of the "football on hardwood" conference, that team would struggle to defend and rebound.  We're very thin in the front court.  A couple of grad transfer or JUCO 4/5s would give me more confidence. 
Thompson has the girth to defend 5s, for short stretches.  Duncomb will struggle his freshman season.
Hunter has the ability to defend smaller 4s.  Geronimo could be a serviceable defender for smaller 4s or for short stretches against bigger 4s with added muscle and experience.
That's counting on A LOT to just have serviceable players at the 4/5 for next season.

Why do you believe Duncomb will struggle? Most believe Furst will play and play well his 1st year and I watched Duncomb dominate him. Now obviously that was 1 game but it shows the potential is there and he CAN do it. I also believe Duncomb may be a little bit of a late bloomer and grow a ton in a year, as a player, and outplay his ranking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Dillion said:

Why do you believe Duncomb will struggle? Most believe Furst will play and play well his 1st year and I watched Duncomb dominate him. Now obviously that was 1 game but it shows the potential is there and he CAN do it. I also believe Duncomb may be a little bit of a late bloomer and grow a ton in a year, as a player, and outplay his ranking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Relying on a freshman, one that is not highly ranked, to contribute is asking for trouble.  Jackson-Davis was ranked much higher and had the luxury of not having to defend 5s his freshman year.  Now, we're going to rely on a lower ranked recruit to defend against Big Ten freshman?  He will struggle.  Dominating Furst in high school is one thing but asking Duncomb to defend much bigger and better centers in the Big Ten is another.  Will Furst be relied on to play the 5 his freshman year?  They have 2-3 other non-freshman big men that can fill the center position while he develops.  I believe he'll contribute after a few years in the program but relying on him to start and contribute his freshman year is not the signs of a successful program.

3 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Found this from an old SI.com story on Mohammed. According to this, he could NOT play this season -- which I thought was the case. He'd just be enrolling early. Not sure why he (or anybody) would cut their senior season short if they couldn't play until next fall, but that's apparently something that interests him. I read that he's a pretty good student, so maybe he actually wants to get a jump-start on a degree, then leave early if he's deemed good enough for the NBA???

Only he knows for sure ... 

I think high school basketball this winter -- with limited fans -- isn't as attractive to high school players this year.  Also might see a lot of stop and start when teams run into quarantine/covid issues.

6 hours ago, mdn82 said:

I will be the first to put it out there like this.  I would currently be surprised if he doesn’t come here based on who his teams are, and what’s available.  This dude is a difference maker for 1.5 years.  Essentially Lander at the 2/3 from a skill level expectancy.  That said even if we get a commit from him which would be absolutely huge, I still feel this recruiting cycle is potentially a letdown if we aren’t able to get one or two more players in the spring cycle.  This year more than any it’s possible.  But it really starts with Aminu.  Unfortunately we are at a point where we really need to stock skill and he is most definitely our best option.  Really feel our depth quality hurt us more than we will ever know in this cycle.

Yeah with Free Agency starting gotta think Lander and Aminu would be attractive to a guy