Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2021) SF - Aminu Mohammed to Georgetown

Is he more raw athlete with developing skill or just a freak athlete with a ton of skill? I believe for IU to truly compete nationally we need to sprinkle in the multi year high end talent along with the get old, stay old players.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

6 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Every time I have seen him it’s freakish athleticism with high end skill. He also has a top end motor. The biggest question is his competition. But this kid has that it factor. If he isn’t a star the year he comes in I would be shocked. You add him to a Lander, potentially TJD, a stronger cast of role players than in years past, and I think we got something special to work with here. If TJD isn’t here it could still be special, but he would have to take on a bigger load scoring. I hate asking a freshman to do that. If you add him and Kaufman? Now we are starting to be where we need to be from a talent perspective to compete.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The key with talented Freshmen is you have to have a serviceable 4 year player behind them. We will finally have that.  

But totally agree. 3 five star talents. 2 with experience and 4 star role players in the starting line up and off the bench is a recipe for success. 

Lander, Aminu, Hunter, Race, TJD

With god knows its god knows how many kids competing for PT on the bench. 

The key with talented Freshmen is you have to have a serviceable 4 year player behind them. We will finally have that.  

But totally agree. 3 five star talents. 2 with experience and 4 star role players in the starting line up and off the bench is a recipe for success. 

Lander, Aminu, Hunter, Race, TJD
With god knows its god knows how many kids competing for PT on the bench. 

Completely agree. In my dream scenario where TJD is still here (completely selfish and I will own that) it doesn’t get much better. To have 5* in three straight classes still on the same team and not because they disappointed is absolutely a title contender. The chances of that playing out that perfectly are small imo, but there is going to be that chance.

7 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Completely agree. In my dream scenario where TJD is still here (completely selfish and I will own that) it doesn’t get much better. To have 5* in three straight classes still on the same team and not because they disappointed is absolutely a title contender. The chances of that playing out that perfectly are small imo, but there is going to be that chance.

I feel like we have 1 five star or 3 that year. Basically what I mean is TJD planning on staying might be needed to convince Aminu to come. 

He’s an exceptional athlete across the board. Good size, great body, ok length, quick downhill and laterally, explosive, strong, particularly lower body strength. But his best physical trait, and I mean really good, is his contact balance. Mohammed plays through contact unlike any HS guard I have ever watched, to the point that he seems almost oblivious to it. I watched a kid cheap shot him in a game as he was going for a dunk and as he was crashing he transferred the ball from right hand to left and kissed it off glass for an and 1. Jaw dropping play. And he never looked at the kid and never batted an eye. He just plays through it. Always. 
He’s got a high skill level, but can improve some stuff. Handle’s a little high. Shot still has a little left drift, though it’s a clean action. But otherwise he’s a really complete player. Finishes with either hand. Can play on the block, in the midrange, and from the wing. Good passer. Really clever around the rim. Can get downhill pretty much at will. 3pt % isn’t great, but some of that is a function of taking 1-2 just terrible heat check-type 3’s per game. When he’s really locked in he does his best stuff in the midrange. He has a pretty sophisticated jab step series and he creates a lot of looks in the 12-18’ range, and makes makes pretty much all of them. Can both create space and force contact. Between Mohammed and Lander, you’d be able to get a good late clock look without fail.
Fwiw

Thanks for the full rundown. There’s a lot of good info in there.

6 hours ago, Demo said:

He’s an exceptional athlete across the board. Good size, great body, ok length, quick downhill and laterally, explosive, strong, particularly lower body strength. But his best physical trait, and I mean really good, is his contact balance. Mohammed plays through contact unlike any HS guard I have ever watched, to the point that he seems almost oblivious to it. I watched a kid cheap shot him in a game as he was going for a dunk and as he was crashing he transferred the ball from right hand to left and kissed it off glass for an and 1. Jaw dropping play. And he never looked at the kid and never batted an eye. He just plays through it. Always. 

He’s got a high skill level, but can improve some stuff. Handle’s a little high. Shot still has a little left drift, though it’s a clean action. But otherwise he’s a really complete player. Finishes with either hand. Can play on the block, in the midrange, and from the wing. Good passer. Really clever around the rim. Can get downhill pretty much at will. 3pt % isn’t great, but some of that is a function of taking 1-2 just terrible heat check-type 3’s per game. When he’s really locked in he does his best stuff in the midrange. He has a pretty sophisticated jab step series and he creates a lot of looks in the 12-18’ range, and makes makes pretty much all of them. Can both create space and force contact. Between Mohammed and Lander, you’d be able to get a good late clock look without fail.

Fwiw

When he’s really locked in he does his best stuff in the midrange. He has a pretty sophisticated jab step series and he creates a lot of looks in the 12-18’ range, and makes makes pretty much all of them. 

Oh no not the dreaded mid range game.

That won't fly with the analytics crowd.

7 hours ago, Demo said:

Fwiw

Correct me if I’m wrong here. You’re pretty plugged in and good at this type of stuff and I 1) hate recruiting because it’s stupid and 2) have watched one highlight of this kid. He’s obviously talented as all hell and I’m not sure if this comparison will come off as insulting to the kid, but know that I don’t mean for it to be:

Is he Rawle Alkins*? 

*I LOVED Rawle Alkins coming out of NYC and he’s one of the many recruits that made me hate recruiting during the later Crean years

Correct me if I’m wrong here. You’re pretty plugged in and good at this type of stuff and I 1) hate recruiting because it’s stupid and 2) have watched one highlight of this kid. He’s obviously talented as all hell and I’m not sure if this comparison will come off as insulting to the kid, but know that I don’t mean for it to be:

Is he Rawle Alkins*? 

*I LOVED Rawle Alkins coming out of NYC and he’s one of the many recruits that made me hate recruiting during the later Crean years

Pretty darn nice comparison I’d say.

1 hour ago, Woodson1980 said:

When he’s really locked in he does his best stuff in the midrange. He has a pretty sophisticated jab step series and he creates a lot of looks in the 12-18’ range, and makes makes pretty much all of them. 

Oh no not the dreaded mid range game.

That won't fly with the analytics crowd.

From some things he’s tweeted, Shawn Harmon,  Mohammed’s guardian, seems to have been an admirer of Kobe. Since Bryant probably could have made a living on his jab step series alone, I’m guessing Mohammed has watched a ton of Bryant tape.

8 hours ago, Demo said:

Fwiw

“Between Mohammed and Lander, you’d be able to get a good late clock look without fail.”

Stop talking like this or IT WILL MOVE!

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

Is he Rawle Alkins*? 

Huh, hadn’t thought of that one. There are some similarities, particularly in the open court where they’re both just gonna go to the rim and challenge someone to stop the ball. Mohammed is a strong, physical kid, but he’s not the sheer bully that Alkins is. Mohammed has a much wider variety of skills. They’re both super competitive, but Alkins is way more demonstrative. Mohammed isn’t Romeo, but he’s pretty stoic. The simplest comp for him is what Vic has evolved into. Obviously not to that level, but the tool kit is very similar. A little bigger and more physical than Vic. Not quite as quick and doesn’t have the pure 1 step explosion Vic has. But very similar. 

3 minutes ago, Demo said:

Huh, hadn’t thought of that one. There are some similarities, particularly in the open court where they’re both just gonna go to the rim and challenge someone to stop the ball. Mohammed is a strong, physical kid, but he’s not the sheer bully that Alkins is. Mohammed has a much wider variety of skills. They’re both super competitive, but Alkins is way more demonstrative. Mohammed isn’t Romeo, but he’s pretty stoic. The simplest comp for him is what Vic has evolved into. Obviously not to that level, but the tool kit is very similar. A little bigger and more physical than Vic. Not quite as quick and doesn’t have the pure 1 step explosion Vic has. But very similar. 

Just curious, how engaged is he on the defensive end?

1 hour ago, Demo said:

That’ll be the question, no matter where he lands. I’ve seen the kid a total of 10 times and never seen him play a second of man to man. His team plays 2-3, and they play him on a back line wing, and some 3/4 court trap where he’s protecting the rim. It’s clear he’s been told not to foul. He’s active and engaged but not aggressive, particularly in the 1st half. In the 2nd half of games he becomes more aggressive, going for blocks and steals. He’s got good defensive traits, but playing within a disciplined defensive scheme will be by far his biggest adjustment in college.

Thanks for all of the info! Sounds like he has all of the tools to be a lockdown defender if he chooses!

Jake Weingarten of Stock Risers:  Five-star Aminu Mohammed’s guardian, Shawn Harmon, talks programs involved

Greenwood School wing Aminu Mohammed is one of the 2021 classes ‘hidden gems’ – – although ranked amongst the Top-15 players in his class, he’s still seen as a sleeper prospect in the class due to the schools recruiting him. His guardian, Shawn Harmon, discussed the programs on him the hardest and even one of the more newer programs involved with him.

Harmon took visits to schools such as Indiana, Kansas State, Maryland, Louisville and some others as well.

Indiana: “Had a one-on-one call with Archie Miller this evening [last week] and we talked about Aminu’s importance to their program. Being a top-priority recruit for them at his position as they’re looking for a two-guard in the 2021 class that can come in and be productive right away. Miller likes his work ethic, think it’s one of the best work ethics he’s seen at high school level. Looking forward to things opening back up and being able to get to games and get him on campus. Their recruitment of Aminu will pick up.”

Louisville: “We spoke with Louisville’s Coach [Mike] Pegues last night, he reaffirmed their commitment of prioritizing Aminu. Similar to the conversation we had with Coach Mack at the beginning of the pandemic. Coach Mack was the first coach to call us once the pandemic started during March.”

Kansas State: “Spoke with Kansas State assistant Coach Henderson on Tuesday. They’re real eager to get us back on campus and plan on really pursuing him. They said they feel like he really fits with their 2021 recruiting class.”

SMU: “Working on an unofficial visit. Spoke with Assistant Coach King who I am very familiar with as he recruited a previous player of mine. Feels they have a good situation for him there.”

Maryland: “Coach Bino has been in touch before and after the pandemic. Just too let us know Aminu is still a priority for them.”

Saint Louis: “SLU called as well spoke with Assistant Coach Bailey just because you never know. Invited us to campus and games. Coach Bailey recruited a former player of mine as well.”

Pittsburgh:”Pittsburgh’s assistant Coach O’Toole reached out before and after the pandemic started. They recently reached out, haven’t offered yet but feel Pittsburgh would be a great fit for Aminu. Actually said he feels it’s the best fit.”