Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Tak42

Maui Classic 2020

Reaffirming what he tweeted 2 weeks ago.

Jon Rothstein - 

The 2020 Maui Invitational will be held in Asheville from Nov. 30th to Dec. 2nd, according to multiple sources close to the situation.  An official announcement is expected soon.  The field for the event includes North Carolina, Indiana, Texas, Providence, Alabama, Stanford, UNLV, and Davidson.

Five of those teams are currently ranked in the ROTHSTEIN 45.

Reaffirming what he tweeted 2 weeks ago.
Jon Rothstein - 

The 2020 Maui Invitational will be held in Asheville from Nov. 30th to Dec. 2nd, according to multiple sources close to the situation.  An official announcement is expected soon.  The field for the event includes North Carolina, Indiana, Texas, Providence, Alabama, Stanford, UNLV, and Davidson.

Five of those teams are currently ranked in the ROTHSTEIN 45.

UNC likes this tweet.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

The re-scheduling of the Maui Classic coincides with the week of the B1G/ACC Challenge and I'm seeing reports the Challenge will be moved to Dec. 8-9.

From Jon Blau -

This has just been confirmed via a release from the Maui Invitational. It states: "Those involved in the Tournament – teams, staff, officials and ESPN media – will be in a bubble environment that limits their movement and interaction outside the venue."

Glad this tournament is still happening. Assuming IU will still get the three guaranteed games for MAUI and then another guaranteed game for ACC-BIG challenge. I am curious to see what other nonconference games get scheduled as it is recommended that each team try to play at least 4 nonconference games. 

40 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Providence is expected to be pretty decent with quite a bit of experience returning. Bart Torvik has them ranked #31 on his website. 

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

He has us as a 5 seed against the play in game with Louisville.  Honestly I wouldn’t be angry with a 5.  Mainly due to how good the top is in our conference.  If we got a 5 we didn’t completely **** the bed.

Is there some reason why the consolation games are played in primetime and the Championship game in afternoon? Seems to me you want the best teams and championship playing in primetime AFTER the consolation games. 

Very bizarre and not something I have seen before and seems counterproductive to maximizing ratings. I guess everything is so mixed up this year this is just another example of everything being opposite of normal but still strange.

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

Is there some reason why the consolation games are played in primetime and the Championship game in afternoon? Seems to me you want the best teams and championship playing in primetime AFTER the consolation games. 

Very bizarre and not something I have seen before and seems counterproductive to maximizing ratings. I guess everything is so mixed up this year this is just another example of everything being opposite of normal but still strange.

Reminds me of the 2008 Olympic basketball games, where I didn't get to watch the U.S. win the gold medal game because it started at 2:30 a.m. here. For some reason, the gold medal game was at 2:30 in the afternoon in Beijing while the bronze medal game was the final event later that evening. It was very strange. 

TV dictates the time of television coverage. Whomever has the television contract decided not to broadcast in prime time apparently because there is more lucrative sports event or events in prime time.

•  

7 hours ago, Aaron said:

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

TV dictates the time of television coverage. Whomever has the television contract decided not to broadcast in prime time apparently because there is more lucrative sports event or events in prime time.

I have a hunch that the Bag Guys Special aka the Champions Classic will be either Dec 1st or 2nd and they're saving those primetimes for that. The winners side of the semifinals are also in the afternoon along with the Title/3rd place games. 

Maui has been  that way with the championship game for a while.    Makes sense when the game is in Maui.   It’s gives the top teams a chance to play their game and head back to the mainland earlier.   It makes the 7th and 8th place teams play later in the day and take a later flight home 

4 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Some of you can start unpacking your bags.   Doubt anyone is truly surprised to learn there will be no fan attendance allowed at the games.

Yeah not surprised. Was holding out hope as it is a short drive for me, but certainly expected this. 

Indiana’s Maui Invitational game against Providence is scheduled to air on ESPN2.  Tip is set for November 30th at 2:30 p.m. ET.  

Texas and Davidson square off at noon.  Winners and losers of those first two games will meet on Tuesday, December 1.