Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) PF Jalen Washington to UNC

Not much in the way of new information other than he's still recovering from last season's shoulder injury.   I continue to be amazed that his ranking hardly changes when he's only played in 7 high school games the past 2 seasons and didn't play in last year's AAU season due to recovering from an injury.  

https://www.nwitimes.com/high-school/scholarship-offers-pour-in-for-west-sides-jalen-washington-lowells-christopher-mantis/article_1af956cb-c174-599d-842a-5800918e0d87.html?fbclid=IwAR2zK9YV29Xj_BeDrZ1ITP2gp3Qt4TeFRJkV4Jk3Sgv_WG3k8OoHnygsBKA

Stanford has offered per Drew Davis.

Endless Motor Sports @endless_motor

2022 5 Jalen Washington has been in contact with the following programs over the last week: Stanford (offer), Michigan State, Maryland, Michigan State, Alabama, Louisville, South Carolina, Purdue, Indiana

“Some of the bigger factors for my family and I are player development and family environment/comfort. I want to go to a team where we win and somewhere that fits my playing style.”

http://endlessmotor.net/2020/08/28/one-on-one-with-jalen-washington-elite-junior-goes-in-depth-on-his-game-recruitment-social-justice/

I caught up with Washington for a lengthy Q&A.  Absolute high character high academic 5-star talent who is looking to finally have a healthy season.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-class-of-2022-in-state-5-star-jalen-washington-on-rehab-recruiting-and-upcoming-season/

On 11/4/2020 at 2:08 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Business is his college major of interest. 

Stanford is interested in him, which is often considered the number one business school. 

The next best business school on his list of current suitors is probably Indiana (typically ranked in the top 25).  Proximity to home and playing on a bigger stage could play a part.

Growing up just outside Chicago, Northwestern is a fantastic business school (top 3) but unlikely to have draw beyond that.  And as a northern Indiana kid, Michigan could have some pull if they begin recruitment (top 10 business school, playing on a big stage for a rich basketball program with a former NBA payer as a coach).

It is very likely he has his sights set on earning a paycheck on the court, though, which might diminish his need to attend a school with a top business school ranking.

Just thinking aloud.

Gary West Side on the road at Michigan City.  After Washington only played in 7 games the last 2 seasons because of injuries it will be interesting to see how he responds this season.  I listened to the radio broadcast so have no idea just how many minutes Washington played but I  do know that his name was very infrequently mentioned throughout the broadcast.  He finished with 6 points as Gary pulled out a 63 - 61 win.

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Gary West Side on the road at Michigan City.  After Washington only played in 7 games the last 2 seasons because of injuries it will be interesting to see how he responds this season.  I listened to the radio broadcast so have no idea just how many minutes Washington played but I  do know that his name was very infrequently mentioned throughout the broadcast.  He finished with 6 points as Gary pulled out a 63 - 61 win.

Don’t seem like a five star, eh?

35 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Don’t seem like a five star, eh?

No way to know if he's going to be able to fully recover from his injuries.  Only 7 high school games in 2 seasons and no AAU this past summer.   We'll know more if his season continues but personally, I'm not that enthused about him.

Saturday night's game against Michigan City from the nwitimes.com -

Jalen Washington hadn't played in a high school game for West Side since March 2, 2019.

On Saturday night against Michigan City, the consensus five-star prospect finally suited up for the Cougars for the first time in 645 days.

Washington appeared in only seven games during his first prep campaign due to a fractured right shoulder, and he missed his entire sophomore season because of a torn right ACL.

The 6-foot-9 forward, who did not play in West Side’s season opener at Gavit on Tuesday, finished with six points and eight rebounds in the first game of his junior campaign.

Those weren't the eye-popping stats that some people may have expected from a player of Washington’s caliber, but in limited minutes it was enough to help the Cougars hang on for a 63-61 road victory.

“This was my first game in like two years, so I’m just really happy to be back,” Washington said. “I’m still understanding that I’m being broken in, so I’m just trying to get my feel back for the game.”

Washington’s most notable basket came on a thunderous right-handed dunk in the fourth quarter just moments after his teammate Chrishawn Christmas threw down an acrobatic jam of his own.

Christmas, who was held to one game last season due to a torn left ACL, made the biggest plays of the night when the game was on the line. Tied at 61, the senior forward came up with a steal and went coast-to-coast for a layup to give West Side a two-point lead with 12.5 seconds left.

On the ensuing possession, Christmas blocked star guard Jamie Hodges Jr.'s 3-point attempt that would’ve given the Wolves the lead and possibly the win.

“I know I had to be the one to step up,” Christmas said. “ … I just felt like I needed to step up and bring energy to the court. That’s what I do, so I did what I had to do. Got the steal, got the layup and finished with that block.”

Michigan City (2-1) had one final chance with 2.3 seconds left, but Hodges’ 3-pointer from the left wing came up short. The 5-9 sophomore guard finished with a game-high 30 points, highlighted by 15 points in the fourth quarter.

“He made us question ourselves as coaches like, ‘Are we doing the right thing by being in this zone?’ He was shooting it from the hash mark!” Cougars coach Chris Buggs said with a laugh. “But I think he’s a talented player with a bright future. He really kind of tested us and made some tough shots down the stretch.”

Senior guard Quimari Peterson paced West Side (2-0) with 23 points and five 3-pointers, while Christmas added 11 points.

Buggs said that he was proud his team didn’t fold when the game got tight, and he was thrilled for Washington to make his long-awaited return to the hardwood.

“He puts in so much work,” Buggs said. “I really give credit to his discipline and patience, not only trying to get healthy but to improve his game. He was nervous all week because he knew he was going to play (Saturday), and I’m excited to see him play.”