Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2021) PF Trey Kaufman to Purdue

1 hour ago, Napleshoosier said:

Now your talkin! emoji41.png

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

This is an entertaining game and I genuinely am curious. I tried to think about realistic guys that fit the hint criteria and have interest in the health of the program who might be willing to get involved to maintain and grow the success of the basketball family  

1) I was serious about Damon Bailey potentially being the guy. Damon was an assistant with the Butler women’s program until 2017 when he moved back to Bedford to help run the family’s company. Guy obviously knows a thing or two about how to shoot a basketball. 

2) My second thought was maybe Jared Jeffries, based on the hint given that Jordan Hulls was the closest guess. Thinking maybe JJ due to him being a Bloomington native. Also it was mentioned he was making more money doing what he does now than to want a grad assistant job, and JJ is the president of Echo Fox, which is an eSports organization. But prior to that he was the Director of Player Personnel for the Nuggets, so he has experience working with young players. For a 6’11” guy, JJ had a really sweet shooting stroke and would be great. 

3) Lastly, maybe Jared Odle. He was a guy that you might not think of as a shooter unless you saw him in high school, and someone who had an effortless shot in shoot arounds. Also Jared has stayed really connected to the IU basketball program and if you follow him on social media is always commenting on the health of the program and team. He’s currently coaching his daughters middle school teams, and in an interview talks about how he’s all about teaching the fundamentals. When he was asked about his future and what kind of coaching capacity he sees himself in as his girls go up to high school he said this:

“I sincerely do love coaching basketball. I don’t like the game stuff as much as I do the practices, but I feel like I have enough knowledge and enough background that if I don’t use it to pay it forward then it’s kind of a waste. While the girls are in high school, I’ll take a backseat and just enjoy them and watch them play.”

Kind of interesting. Not really looking to be involved in the on-court game coaching, but loves the practice education. 

Anyways, fun to speculate. Can I get a hot or cold on these guys @Old Friend? :)

4 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

This is an entertaining game and I genuinely am curious. I tried to think about realistic guys that fit the hint criteria and have interest in the health of the program who might be willing to get involved to maintain and grow the success of the basketball family  

1) I was serious about Damon Bailey potentially being the guy. Damon was an assistant with the Butler women’s program until 2017 when he moved back to Bedford to help run the family’s company. Guy obviously knows a thing or two about how to shoot a basketball. 

2) My second thought was maybe Jared Jeffries, based on the hint given that Jordan Hulls was the closest guess. Thinking maybe JJ due to him being a Bloomington native. Also it was mentioned he was making more money doing what he does now than to want a grad assistant job, and JJ is the president of Echo Fox, which is an eSports organization. But prior to that he was the Director of Player Personnel for the Nuggets, so he has experience working with young players. For a 6’11” guy, JJ had a really sweet shooting stroke and would be great. 

3) Lastly, maybe Jared Odle. He was a guy that you might not think of as a shooter unless you saw him in high school, and someone who had an effortless shot in shoot arounds. Also Jared has stayed really connected to the IU basketball program and if you follow him on social media is always commenting on the health of the program and team. He’s currently coaching his daughters middle school teams, and in an interview talks about how he’s all about teaching the fundamentals. When he was asked about his future and what kind of coaching capacity he sees himself in as his girls go up to high school he said this:

“I sincerely do love coaching basketball. I don’t like the game stuff as much as I do the practices, but I feel like I have enough knowledge and enough background that if I don’t use it to pay it forward then it’s kind of a waste. While the girls are in high school, I’ll take a backseat and just enjoy them and watch them play.”

Kind of interesting. Not really looking to be involved in the on-court game coaching, but loves the practice education. 

Anyways, fun to speculate. Can I get a hot or cold on these guys @Old Friend? :)

I believe old friend said you wouldn't know this guy unless you saw him shoot in high school. He didn't play college ball. He said Jordan Hulls was close guess to this guy. Jordan's dad teaches shooting in Bloomington and coaches girls AAU

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I believe old friend said you wouldn't know this guy unless you saw him shoot in high school. He didn't play college ball. He said Jordan Hulls was close guess to this guy. Jordan's dad teaches shooting in Bloomington and coaches girls AAU

Ahhh, I must have misread that. I thought he said you wouldn’t know this guy as a shooter unless you saw him play in high school. JC would make more sense based on your interpretation of what OF said. 

25 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Unless I missed something, I don't believe Old Friend said he never played college ball. In fact, this is what he wrote ... 

None of the above, and the guy wouldn't be anywhere near anyone's "A" list.  You've all heard of him, but likely have no idea how terrific a shooter he is.  My hint is I said this guy - if he wanted to be - would be the next great assistant coach and maybe college head coach to come from IU.     Of the above guesses, Hulls is the closest.

He's already said it's not Damon Bailey. He also said this guy comes from IU. I don't know for certain, but I'm not sure J.C. Hulls went to IU -- I know he didn't play there. Plus, he said you wouldn't know how good a shooter this guy was unless you saw him in high school. Who would've seen Jordan Hulls' father in high school? However, his father -- Jordy's grandfather -- was a Knight assistant early on. 

I'm sticking with my pick of Jonny Marlin. He fits the criteria. Probably wrong, but he did play at IU. He's now a high school coach in Indiana and has coached AAU ball. And as for shooting ... 

5 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Unless I missed something, I don't believe Old Friend said he never played college ball. In fact, this is what he wrote ... 

None of the above, and the guy wouldn't be anywhere near anyone's "A" list.  You've all heard of him, but likely have no idea how terrific a shooter he is.  My hint is I said this guy - if he wanted to be - would be the next great assistant coach and maybe college head coach to come from IU.     Of the above guesses, Hulls is the closest.

He's already said it's not Damon Bailey. He also said this guy comes from IU. I don't know for certain, but I'm not sure J.C. Hulls went to IU -- I know he didn't play there. Plus, he said you wouldn't know how good a shooter this guy was unless you saw him in high school. Who would've seen Jordan Hulls' father in high school? However, his father -- Jordy's grandfather -- was a Knight assistant early on. 

I'm sticking with my pick of Jonny Marlin. He fits the criteria. Probably wrong, but he did play at IU. He's now a high school coach in Indiana and has coached AAU ball. And as for shooting ... 

OK, I see what you're saying. You are correct. My bad. 

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Needs its own thread.  Poor Trey is vanishing before our eyes.

Agreed. But when you're dropping clues like that, you're begging for folks to provide guesses as to whom you're referring. 

When Trey commits, this will get back on track!!!

Old Friend basically confirmed with his "like" earlier in the thread. 

My question is this. There are plenty of men's basketball positions to be filled or created in between graduate assistant and assistant coach. Take a look at the complete coaching staff linked below. I would think a "Director of Player Development" position or something like that could be created. I know there are NCAA restrictions on the number of assistant coaches but are there any restrictions on total staff? We presumably have plenty of cash to build out the staff even more if this guy is the answer to our current shooting woes.

https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

4 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Old Friend basically confirmed with his "like" earlier in the thread. 

My question is this. There are plenty of men's basketball positions to be filled or created in between graduate assistant and assistant coach. Take a look at the complete coaching staff linked below. I would think a "Director of Player Development" position or something like that could be created. I know there are NCAA restrictions on the number of assistant coaches but are there any restrictions on total staff? We presumably have plenty of cash to build out the staff even more if this guy is the answer to our current shooting woes.

https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Yeah we can create a position for the person. They wouldn’t be allowed to recruit actively

So, I was wrong. It seems as the fella Old Friend was referring to is Taylor Wayer. I guess what threw me is at one point, Old Friend said something about everybody knowing who he is. TBH, I didn't remember him playing at IU. I did remember Jonny Marlin, though, and he fit a lot of the criteria Old Friend listed. 

Oh well, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again!