Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2021) PF Trey Kaufman to Purdue

The only thing I've ever seen about Bennett is some guy from CBS saying that if any college coaches were to go to the NBA, Bennett has the ability to do so. It was 100 percent his opinion -- and all he was saying was that Bennett had the credentials to make the jump. That's all it was. There was no notion or speculation that Bennett would leave for the NBA. It was just one guy saying he thought Bennett had the coaching acumen. Bennett isn't going anywhere. I'm not saying he will get Kaufman, but I cannot imagine him leaving U.Va. at this point. ... If Bennett turned down IU because  he didn't want to be in a fish bowl, he certainly wouldn't want to coach in the NBA. U.Va. is the perfect situation for him -- a low-key program in which he's comfortable and can flourish. 

I live in the Washington, DC area where there is extensive coverage of UVA sports. There have been periodic rumors of Bennett leaving Virginia, including to the NBA (also to UCLA when Alford was fired). He didn't turn down IU because he didn't want to coach in a fishbowl. He turned down IU because IU was a mess at that time which is why IU had difficulty attracting a top coach in 2008.  The best IU could get after Sampson was Tom Crean.

I live in Southeastern Virginia, where there is extensive coverage of U.Va. sports. All those rumors of Bennett were just writers speculating when those jobs came open -- I don't believe there ever was any teeth to them. One of the reasons Bennett had no interest in IU is that he didn't want all the outside tasks that come with the job -- all the PR, etc. He just wants to coach. Plus, there's the fact that the relationship  between IU and his sister ended poorly. 

If you can stomach anyone talking about UNC, here’s a video discussion of their top targets. Skip to the 11 minute mark to hear them discuss Kaufman and wait for it. He mentions UNC has done everything including offering Kaufman a car. Ha! He immediately said he didn’t mean it literally, but he said it.

To be clear, nothing much mentioned than what we all already know...he’s a great kid on and off the court, he’s tight-lipped and there’s no circus around his recruitment, and that they believe it’s down to UNC, UV, and IU. 

https://www.tarheeltimes.com/article119629.aspx

That's interesting...not feeling UVA as the likely primary competitor?

If UVa wasn’t so far away, I would be pretty concerned with them. He’s built a good relationship with Bennett and they really prioritized him, as their 2021 class really hasn’t taken shape yet. But distance from home should be one of the biggest factors in this one, plus he’s more familiar with the players locally since he couldn’t really do the official visits. That matters to him too.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, hoosierfan34 said:

If UVa wasn’t so far away, I would be pretty concerned with them. He’s built a good relationship with Bennett and they really prioritized him, as their 2021 class really hasn’t taken shape yet. But distance from home should be one of the biggest factors in this one, plus he’s more familiar with the players locally since he couldn’t really do the official visits. That matters to him too.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Building a solid culture is the gift that keeps on giving. IU, PU, UVA ...that's a common factor with his likely top three.

If not us -- just please don't let it be Purdue. I'd rather see him go to U.Va. than play for the Toiletmakers. 

That reminds me -- a few months ago, some dude on here claimed Trey was gonna announce later that day he was headed to Bloomington. Not only was he way, way off on that intel, but I've never seen him on this board since. I don't remember his exact username, though.