Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2021) PF Trey Kaufman to Purdue

The Trey Patterson speculation is running rampant, but I haven't heard anything recently about the Trey who's probably a more realistic get. Anybody have any intel on him? ... Someone on here (I think he had a handle of JerryYeagley something or other) declared Kaufman was gonna commit back in April -- even had a specific day targeted. That didn't happen and I don't think JerryYeagley has been heard from since. 

3 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Well...the fact that he wants to major in physics doesn't exactly help our cause. Our physics program isn't even one of the top 10 programs in our conference.

I’m not necessarily scared of any of the other schools right now, but it sort of seems like he’s apathetic about IU. Obviously I know nothing but from an outsiders perspective I get the sense he is waiting for the offer, whoever that may be

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Kevin Brockway - CNHI Sports Indiana

The full skillset was on display. For Silver Creek standout forward Trey Kaufman, one of the best high school basketball players in Indiana, a summer tournament game with Indiana Elite gave him a chance to get up and down the floor and show his developing game.

Pull-up jumpers in transition from 12 feet. Shooting range beyond the 3-point line. Dunks on alley-oop passes. Blocks from the strong and weak side.

“As far as southern Indiana, you’ve got teams who box-and-one, hold the ball halfcourt for the entire game,” Kaufman said. “So it’s kind of hard to show pull-up jump shots, 3s when you’re facing zones, all that stuff. It’s been fun to show what I can do.”

The 6-foot-8, 210-pound Kaufman from Sellersberg will enter his senior year as one of the favorites to win Mr. Basketball in 2021. He’s also been one of the most talked about recruits on Indiana’s radar.

Kaufman, who was named Indiana’s 2020 Gatorade Player of the Year as a junior, could follow a recent trend of in-state talents who have stayed close to home to play for the Hoosiers. Or Kaufman could end up at Virginia after Tony Bennett offered a scholarship over the spring. Louisville, Purdue and Xavier also have offered Kaufman, who hasn’t set a timeline for when he will commit to a school.

“All the schools that offered me, I think they really have a fair chance right now,” Kaufman said. “I tell a lot of people really the biggest thing for me is to developing, whatever team can make me the best player I can be, that’s the number one thing I want in the school.”

Virginia has a strong reputation for player development under Bennett, having had eight players picked in the NBA draft since 2012, including current Pacers guard Malcolm Brogdon (2014) and Atlanta Hawks rookie forward De’Andre Hunter (2019). IU has had three players taken in the NBA draft under third-year coach Archie Miller, including Romeo Langford, who went 12th overall in the first round to the Boston Celtics in 2019.

Kaufman said Miller’s recent ability to get in-state talent to play for IU will factor into his decision. The Hoosiers have landed the last three Mr. Basketballs – Langford in 2018, forward Trayce Jackson-Davis in 2019 and guard Anthony Leal in 2020. Kaufman is playing for the same Indiana Elite travel program that produced Leal, incoming freshman point guard Khristian Lander and incoming freshman swingman Trey Galloway.

“That’s honestly a really big factor with Indiana, in particular, because you know the guys,” Kaufman said. “It’s not so much talent, but when you have five guys on the floor that you know you can trust on the court but also off the court, it makes a big difference, makes a big deal.”

There have been some unforeseen obstacles in Kaufman’s recruitment, with an NCAA dead period in recruiting until at least July 31 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Kaufman has been allowed to communicate with coaches through FaceTime and texts, but there have been no face-to-face or campus visits since March.

“I’m a real person, so although phone and texting is one thing, I think face-to-face contact is really how you build a relationship,” Kaufman said. “So it’s been hard, but it kind of builds your instincts a little bit.”

Kaufman is intent on spending his summer developing his game. The shooting range has come over time and on Saturday included 3-pointers from both the wing and top of the key.

“A lot of teams see me as that, some guy who can play on the perimeter and also play on the post depending on who is guarding me,” Kaufman said. “So it’s just a versatility thing. You know my goal is to be a knockdown shooter. I want to be the best shooter in the country, the best player in the country. You have to add that to your game.”

After winning Gatorade Player of the Year, Kaufman has his sights set on winning Mr. Basketball in 2021. He even joked he was upset Lander reclassified because he wanted to compete with him for the award. But Kaufman knows that honor won’t come without hard work, and he’s looking to continue to get as much time in the gym as possible before the season starts.

“I want to be the best player I can be,” Kaufman said. “Whatever honor it is, Mr. Basketball, Gatorade next year as well. I want to do everything I can.”

2 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Just watched some video of him over the weekend playing with Logan. They had some nice inside-out plays. Trey has improved and that’s saying a lot. Regardless of where people have him ranked he is and should be IU’s top remaining target. He is really good. Logan is going to be a really good one for IU also. I haven’t watched him as much as some others and the thing that sticks out to me from watching him more is that he is going to be a beast rebounding the ball. I loved his positioning and how he attacks the boards even outside of his rebounding area. He also made some nice 15 footers but the video didn’t show him shooting 3’s. His next step in his game will be expanding his range. Not necessarily to bomb away 3’s ever chance he gets but to keep teams honest. Logan clearly is most effective down low and he wants to play down low. Trey will be special. Some players you can just see it in them while watching regardless of competition. Trey has the look. Would be a massive get for IU if they land him.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Agreed.

Nice video from, I assume, this weekend.  Physically, he looks great. Skill level is obviously what makes him what he is. I think the athleticism is only gonna get so good, but he’ll be able to defend 4’s straight up. Not sure how switchable he’ll be. But a highly skilled stretch 4 like that playing PnR with a kid like Lander is pretty much the core of any game plan. Add a big time wing scorer and that becomes a really dangerous team.

2 hours ago, Demo said:

Nice video from, I assume, this weekend.  Physically, he looks great. Skill level is obviously what makes him what he is. I think the athleticism is only gonna get so good, but he’ll be able to defend 4’s straight up. Not sure how switchable he’ll be. But a highly skilled stretch 4 like that playing PnR with a kid like Lander is pretty much the core of any game plan. Add a big time wing scorer and that becomes a really dangerous team.

You could have a highly efficient offense just on this along.  Kaufman and Lander in a PnR with players like Hunter and Leal ready to shoot, Franklin coming along in his development would make a great option as well.  We could settle for a great defender and rebounder at 5 if Kaufman can be a focal point at the 4 unless TJD decides he'd like to stick around for a junior year.  Adding Kaufman, Logan for depth, and another solid, versatile 3/4 and we would have a roster that should compete for the Big Ten title or more.

11 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

You could have a highly efficient offense just on this along.  Kaufman and Lander in a PnR with players like Hunter and Leal ready to shoot, Franklin coming along in his development would make a great option as well.  We could settle for a great defender and rebounder at 5 if Kaufman can be a focal point at the 4 unless TJD decides he'd like to stick around for a junior year.  Adding Kaufman, Logan for depth, and another solid, versatile 3/4 and we would have a roster that should compete for the Big Ten title or more.

Basically agree, particularly if Hunter continues to develop. Not as high on Leal or Franklin as some, though I think they’ll both be useful pieces. But would love to see 1 more option that teams need to game plan for. Whether it’s a versatile scorer like Mohammed or a shooter defenders can’t leave like Longino. Maybe Geronimo has that kind of ceiling by the time he’s a Soph, though I would think a lot of his offense would still come in the open floor. But regardless, I think if Kaufman comes that roster has the chance to be really, really good.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/bossi-s-best-summer-eye-catchers?ga_source=cm

This article aligns with what USPS posted a few days ago. Eric Bossi feels he has improved tremendously from last year. I would assume he will jump up from number 82 in their rankings the next time the rankings are updated. 

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

From Alec Lasley - 

FWIW - 2021 IU target Trey Kaufman has jumped up 44 spots in the class to No. 39 in the Rivals150 rankings.  

Good to see. I thought it was clear after Bossi commented on his improvement that he would jump and be more in line with the 247 ranking.