Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2021) PF Trey Kaufman to Purdue

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Short nugget from today on Coyle and Leary -

Leal said that he has constantly been recruiting Trey Kaufman, even when Bloomington South played Silver Creek during the season.  "Yeah of course. Whenever we played Silver Creek I would talk to Trey [Kaufman]... He texted me after I won the award and congratulated me and I told him ‘and you’re going to make it number 4’ next year."

He mentioned that him, Trey Galloway and Jordan Geronimo have a group chat and stay in contact frequently. Said all three can't wait to get moved in and on the floor together.

giphy.gif

I know this has been discussed before and it doesn't really matter, but if he's only the 97th recruit in 2021 then that class must be stacked with talent. I've had the opportunity to watch him play multiple times. The improvement from his sophomore to junior seasons was very impressive. Reminded me a little of TJD's rise (albeit playing a different style.)
Kaufman can do so many things well... especially at his size. I think he's an instant impact guy and would help Archie open up the floor so much as a stretch-4. He reminds me a little bit of when Jared Jeffries played at Bloomington North. Maybe not quite as athletic, but still quite versatile. He's been my #1 hope for the 2021 class for a while (even over Lander.) I'm not a scout, but from what I've seen he has all the traits of someone who could be an McDonald's All-American. At worst, he is Top 50. 
The good news is that his ranking probably prevents Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc. from sniffing around too much. If he would have played AAU this year, I firmly believe we would be fighting Duke and/or UNC for his services as opposed to Louisville, Xavier and Purdue.

I’ve been ringing this bell for a while. Agree on all counts.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

The good news is that his ranking probably prevents Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc. from sniffing around too much.

I'm pretty sure UNC was in earlier this season to watch him, but I agree with you.   The only "problem" would be if he waits to commit then blows up next season.

I'm pretty sure UNC was in earlier this season to watch him, but I agree with you.   The only "problem" would be if he waits to commit then blows up next season.

Yes. UNC was in to watch one of his games in February. And UNC has asked Trey to wait to decide so he can have a chance to come visit their campus, as has Virginia.

Sometimes, the Duke and Kansas programs of the world don’t heavily pursue a kid because they’ve got good enough intel to suggest a prospect might care more to stay closer to home.

2 hours ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

I know this has been discussed before and it doesn't really matter, but if he's only the 97th recruit in 2021 then that class must be stacked with talent. I've had the opportunity to watch him play multiple times. The improvement from his sophomore to junior seasons was very impressive. Reminded me a little of TJD's rise (albeit playing a different style.)

Kaufman can do so many things well... especially at his size. I think he's an instant impact guy and would help Archie open up the floor so much as a stretch-4. He reminds me a little bit of when Jared Jeffries played at Bloomington North. Maybe not quite as athletic, but still quite versatile. He's been my #1 hope for the 2021 class for a while (even over Lander.) I'm not a scout, but from what I've seen he has all the traits of someone who could be an McDonald's All-American. At worst, he is Top 50. 

The good news is that his ranking probably prevents Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc. from sniffing around too much. If he would have played AAU this year, I firmly believe we would be fighting Duke and/or UNC for his services as opposed to Louisville, Xavier and Purdue.

I agree, if Trey is number 97, this is an amazing class.

6 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Alec Lasley - 

Indiana currently holds two commitments in the 2021 class with point guard Khrstian Lander and center Logan Duncomb.

While Aminu Mohammed fits exactly what Indiana needs on the wing, Archie Miller is still aggressively pursuing frontcourt players who will fill in for the loss of Joey Brunk, Justin Smith and potentially Trayce Jackson-Davis.

In addition to Duncomb, Trey Kaufman is someone that would fill that role perfectly and would address many needs for Indiana in 2021.

Kaufman is not only one of the best players in the Indiana 2021 state rankings, but he is also one of the most talented players in Indiana in any class. The Silver Creek product won the Gatorade Player of the Year award as a junior, only one of a handful underclassmen to do so in the state. He averaged 25.8 points and 9.6 rebounds as a junior.

Each year Kaufman has progressed in many facets of his game and now is one of the more well-rounded big men in the 2021 class.

At 6-foot-8, Kaufman is a highly skilled player who has a lot of versatility to his game. Playing a non-traditional power forward position, being able to stretch the defense out to the perimeter and take opponents off of the dribble is what is so intriguing about his game.

In today’s game, Kaufman is your ideal pick and pop forward. He has a smooth and consistent shot from deep and although sometimes too dependent on his shot, it is a major asset to any team to have a 6-foot-8 threat from three. Despite not taking an excess of perimeter shots, he has shot it at a 39 percent clip over the past two seasons.

Because of his ability to shoot, defenses need to play up on him. This is a situation in which Kaufman excels in. With his ability to beat opponents off of the dribble and use just one or two dribbles to get to the basket, he becomes a very difficult player to guard.

While he hasn’t been someone to embrace contact throughout his career, he continues to utilize his build and patience when in the post. Despite not being an explosive athlete, he is still very fluid and has the ability to finish above the rim.

Kaufman will not be a shot blocker at the college level. He does lack major explosiveness needed, but his length and versatility fits in perfectly as a team defender, as noted by his 1.6 blocks and 1.1 steals as a junior.

On top of that, his ability to rebound the ball at a high level is extremely useful with the ability to lead the fast break if need be.

Overall, Kaufman will come in and produce at a high level immediately. He still needs to develop a bit more of a post game, but his versatile skillset that allows him to play on the wing, while still at 6-foot-8 is ideal at the college level.

Kaufman is ranked the No. 97 prospect in the 2021 class.

Hmmm.  I seriously doubt Alec Lasley, whoever that is, has actually watched Trey live.  These guys trying to be scouts crack me up.

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

98% of scouting is done through AAU/Summer events. Some is word of mouth. Some is on video. I think they do a good job in general. I think Trey was poised for a jump this AAU season as so often happens. We see it with a few every year.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Trey already took a jump on 247.  He’s 43 on that and 97 on rivals. Which drags his composite to 72

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yeah 43 is more in line. That would have been universal if not higher after AAU.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah I’m not going to lie I stopped looking at the composite awhile ago. I basically just look at 247 now. Even when Rivals “try” I’ve been told they evaluate some kids off of highlight vids and never watch them. 

5 hours ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

Well said. Agree with all of this, except that we are fighting for his services with Purdue. They aren’t a factor here. 

What’s the best IU player comparison? Watford?

That would be wonderful. Just needs to keep working on the speed of his shot. Watford got away with a slower motion because he shot it from such an odd spot.