Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2021) PF Trey Kaufman to Purdue

Personally I feel we missed out on Trey because IU does not have a bonafide Center for '21 assuming TJD leaves after this season. Word is Trey wants to be a college 3, and we are clearly loaded there for the next 2-3 years. However we lack the front-court depth that would leave Kaufman playing the 4 or 5 most often. Painter sold him as a 3 to play alongside Furst and that won him over. Logan Duncomb I don't think will be ready to step in and play the 5 day one. Oh well, Let's get Miller and Aminu and grab a veteran big man out of the transfer portal in '21 and we will have a very good team. On to the next one.

3 minutes ago, Treesh said:

We will live folks. How many major recruits have we missed in the last decade and those players didn’t go on to win a championship? Isn’t it championship or bust here? 

Trey Lyles

Garry Harris 

Glenn Robinson

Kyle Guy

kris wilkes

jarren jackson

we can’t and won’t get them all. plus it’s Purdue, he’s not going to win a championship lol

Kyle Guy did win a championship with UVA.

Just now, CyberHoosier said:

Personally I feel we missed out on Trey because IU does not have a bonafide Center for '21 assuming TJD leaves after this season. Word is Trey wants to be a college 3, and we are clearly loaded there for the next 2-3 years. However we lack the front-court depth that would leave Kaufman playing the 4 or 5 most often. Painter sold him as a 3 to play alongside Furst and that won him over. Logan Duncomb I don't think will be ready to step in and play the 5 day one. Oh well, Let's get Miller and Aminu and grab a veteran big man out of the transfer portal in '21 and we will have a very good team. On to the next one.

Well it happened recently but Brunk can come back so we can have a center if we want 

5 minutes ago, Treesh said:

We will live folks. How many major recruits have we missed in the last decade and those players didn’t go on to win a championship? Isn’t it championship or bust here? 

Trey Lyles

Garry Harris 

Glenn Robinson

Kyle Guy

kris wilkes

jarren jackson

we can’t and won’t get them all. plus it’s Purdue, he’s not going to win a championship lol

Our track record since missing those guys = Not Great 

I'm torn on this one.  On the one hand you can't get them all, on the other hand this is the kind of recruit we need to get consistently to get where we should expect to be (especially in state) and losing another top in state guy to friggin' PU sucks.

17 minutes ago, CyberHoosier said:

He may have been sold on playing the 3 but he is not going to play more than handful of minutes at the 3 in college. More often than not that player is a guard or someone with guard skills at the college level.

47 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Yep.  This.  That’s all that matters.  This makes it harder on himself.  All you can say is next, but this is a miss.  

I will yep your yep.  Thus far CAM has had to build/play/rely on in-state players as we haven't done squat in attracting highly rated players nationally. 

It takes a combination of talent and coaching to win at a high level.  With missing out on stud recruits it makes coaching even more important.  It can be done, but it's time to see results - finishing outside the top 4 in the B10 is not getting the job done and Archie is paid too much for mediocre results.

Also committing on Archie's birthday to a rival school as I stated above would seem to support he is not the greatest kid but who knows. I know nothing about him.
Yea. I'm sure the kid just wanted to stick it to Archie. (Sarcasm)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I will yep your yep.  Thus far CAM has had to build/play/rely on in-state players as we haven't done squat in attracting highly rated players nationally. 
It takes a combination of talent and coaching to win at a high level.  With missing out on stud recruits it makes coaching even more important.  It can be done, but it's time to see results - finishing outside the top 4 in the B10 is not getting the job done and Archie is paid too much for mediocre results.

And here is where I’m deeply concerned. Archie isn’t an XO coach savant. Crean relied on outright talent and athleticism to win. He needed to recruit stars. It is yet to be determined if Archie can get a scrappy, motivated bunch to exceed expectations and win at a higher rate than expected. Maybe. That’s his personality. But he’s already proven he can’t take an average team and turn it into a dynamo. Nor can most or any. Is it any wonder why many of these recruits carry a hefty price tag? Coaches know, you can’t teach god given talent. I rest much easier knowing we can out-talent other teams because I’m not convinced we can out coach other teams.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

14 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

With each recruiting miss it definitely does make CAM's margin for error go down.  Brooks, Carton, Garcia, Ouinones, Longino, Patterson, and Kaufman are all kids that we seemingly finished 2nd or 3rd on.  You certainly can't win them all but in my mind just a few of these could be the difference between where the program is and where we expect it to be.

6 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Let’s hope Geronimo quickly exceeds his ranking and can play towards his athleticism sooner rather than later. Geronimo and Hunter are our best bets to “replace” Kaufman. No one on the recruiting front offers what Kaufman does, including Miller.

But I’m more worried about the 5. Relying on freshman Duncomb and undersized Race to be our 5 might be our biggest detriment for this recruitment and in general.

I THOUGHT Kaufman’s comfort with Duncomb at the 5 would be enough to alleviate concerns for him. But not me.

Would love to know our staffs pitch.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Agree, I think highly of Race and Duncomb and even think in 21-22 you can squeeze maybe ~15 combined minutes out of them at the 5: ten from Race, who’s undersized but strong and long-armed, and spot minutes from Duncomb. Race is sturdy but probably not an ideal rim protector.

But I’ve said for awhile they need a grad transfer 5 for next year, and this probably heightens that need. Obviously no one thinks Trey is a college or pro 5 full-time but he could probably play some minutes there in a small-ball lineup.

Wayne’s right, with Geronimo and Hunter plus some big guards who can guard SFs (Galloway and Franklin), IU can Hope to patch the forward spots.