Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2021) PF Trey Kaufman to Purdue

3 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

One question - Who should I pay extra attention to on here when it comes to important news for recruiting? lol 

Adding a +1 to Chris007, and wanted to add that if HoosierPap posts, it's definitely worth listening to. YogisPicnicBasket used to have great info, but haven't seen him around in awhile. 

Assuming it's Purdue, I REALLY want to hear what Painter's pitch re: on court fit to Kaufman was. Kaufman has mentioned more than once what a great system fit Purdue's system is for him. I'm not sure I see that. Whether you like Miller's schemes or not, Kaufman's fit in them couldn't be more clear. He's a high post 4. And, to me, that's exactly what he is. But I'm guessing he really wants to play on the wing and that's the angle Painter took. No matter how rigorous our processes, it's still a natural human tendency to hear what you want to hear.

23 minutes ago, Demo said:

Assuming it's Purdue, I REALLY want to hear what Painter's pitch re: on court fit to Kaufman was. Kaufman has mentioned more than once what a great system fit Purdue's system is for him. I'm not sure I see that. Whether you like Miller's schemes or not, Kaufman's fit in them couldn't be more clear. He's a high post 4. And, to me, that's exactly what he is. But I'm guessing he really wants to play on the wing and that's the angle Painter took. No matter how rigorous our processes, it's still a natural human tendency to hear what you want to hear.

Painter's system allows for basically anyone to play away from the basket. Now, he has had bigs that weren't very good away from the basket, like Trevion Williams and Haas, but even Haas was finding his way to the 3 pt. line some in his last year. It sucks but I think TK is going to thrive in their system. I just threw up in my mouth....

30 minutes ago, Demo said:

He wants to be a 3, Painter told him he could be the 3, with Faust being the 4 and the other 7footer being the 5

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He wants to be a 3, Painter told him he could be the 3, with Faust being the 4 and the other 7footer being the 5

That lineup would really struggle to defend.

Let’s hope Geronimo quickly exceeds his ranking and can play towards his athleticism sooner rather than later. Geronimo and Hunter are our best bets to “replace” Kaufman. No one on the recruiting front offers what Kaufman does, including Miller.

But I’m more worried about the 5. Relying on freshman Duncomb and undersized Race to be our 5 might be our biggest detriment for this recruitment and in general.

I THOUGHT Kaufman’s comfort with Duncomb at the 5 would be enough to alleviate concerns for him. But not me.

Would love to know our staffs pitch.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

38 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

1. Ivey/Hunter/Morton
2. Newman/Hunter
3. Kaufman
4. Furst
5. Williams

Strong starting 5. Will project as a top 15 team.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I can't believe that Painter redshirted Newman last year.  Have to see if that says more about Newman or Painter next year.

The 3 is probably how he sees himself beyond college and is looking for a situation that lets him develop those skills. I'm not a big fan of players dictating where they play. Kinda seems like a coaches decision to me. IF, in fact, the recruitment played out that way, I have no regrets not getting him. Sounds like a little too much "me" and not enough "team".

34 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I can't believe that Painter redshirted Newman last year.  Have to see if that says more about Newman or Painter next year.

That surprised me too.  He was between 40%-43% from 3 his last two years of high school and is a good athlete.  He could definitely do some things coming off that redshirt.  

35 minutes ago, craigyv88 said:

That surprised me too.  He was between 40%-43% from 3 his last two years of high school and is a good athlete.  He could definitely do some things coming off that redshirt.  

Apparently he really struggled with a lot of the defensive concepts that Painter wants out of his guys. Wasn’t an issue with his offense. 

20 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Apparently he really struggled with a lot of the defensive concepts that Painter wants out of his guys. Wasn’t an issue with his offense. 

That makes more sense.  Based on what I heard and saw he can really score.   If they are going to plug Kaufman primarily at the 3, it will be interesting to see how they shuffle Ivey / Stefanovich / Morton / Hunter / Thompson / Newman within mostly two guard lineups.