Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2021) PF Trey Kaufman to Purdue

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

None of the staff know of the decision yet. I'm going off of everything we know, he has been to IU more than any other place, he wants to stay close to home, his mom went to IU, he wanted to commit earlier in the summer and the staffs feels like he is coming. I'm guessing Purdue has the same feelings for their reasons. I would be surprised if he ends up at Purdue but not shocked. One day out we're still in good shape. 

Yeah just looking at Peegs and the crystal ball he is 100% and he doesn’t do last minute flips.  This is Indiana’s longest recruit.  Peegs votes with pretty high confidence.  I am not stressing this one too much.  Been surprised plenty before, and that’s the way this one would have to be if it goes different.  

I think it's all about the fit and how that helps him achieve his goals. I'm sure he has analyzed coaching, style of play, and personnel down to the micro level. I could be completely wrong, but I doubt that emotion plays much of a role in the decision. Hopefully, it's IU in the end but either way, I hope it works out for him.

Here’s the thing. Nobody knows but Trey and his mom and apparently he is not telling the staffs today according to Rabjohns. This is truly 50/50 and every prediction is just an educated guess at this point. I wouldn’t be surprised either way

Hopeful it’s IU. If not, good luck to him at Purdue. I’m actually enjoying the perception that this is a IU/PU battle. That’s the way it should be for in-state too talent. 

I’ll be honest, if it is Purdue it’ll be pretty crushing for me as a fan. Furst and Kaufman were both VERY high on my wishlist. I think Kaufman is better. Getting Kaufman makes missing Furst pretty easy to stomach. Missing both to the same school, particularly Purdue, would be a gut punch.

That said, Kaufman to Indiana.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’ll be honest, if it is Purdue it’ll be pretty crushing for me as a fan. Furst and Kaufman were both VERY high on my wishlist. I think Kaufman is better. Getting Kaufman makes missing Furst pretty easy to stomach. Missing both to the same school, particularly Purdue, would be a gut punch.

Something that I don’t understand is how can an in state kid truely be picking between both? Have things changed that dramatically? When I played high school, I would have rather paid my own way as a walkon at IU than take a scholly from Gene  Keady (whom I’ve met multiple times and respect as a person). I played with guys who would 100% say the same in vise versa. What I never saw were guys mulling the two as if they were on equal footing. 

4 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Something that I don’t understand is how can an in state kid truely be picking between both? Have things changed that dramatically? When I played high school, I would have rather paid my own way as a walkon at IU than take a scholly from Gene  Keady (whom I’ve met multiple times and respect as a person). I played with guys who would 100% say the same in vise versa. What I never saw were guys mulling the two as if they were on equal footing. 

Well...Trey Kaufman says he's committed.

So the choice is completely clear in HIS mind. Where it's not clear is in the eyes of the public.

9 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Sadly, if you look at on-court and postseason success in the last 5-6 years, we're not on equal footing. 

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Well...Trey Kaufman says he's committed.

So the choice is completely clear in HIS mind. Where it's not clear is in the eyes of the public.

No, I get that.  My point is I don’t understand how it’s gotten down to this point. Purdue wouldn’t have made my top 10 and I had the type of talent Ivy Tech would have turned away from after one video session. 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Couldn't agree more

2 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Sadly, if you look at on-court and postseason success in the last 5-6 years, we're not on equal footing. 

In terms of record/tourney appearances, absolutely. They’ve had program stability where as we were turning over...that takes time to build. Even then, IU provided as much if not more national exposure (None of the National media ever mentioned Purdue until they got to the S16 two years ago), better campus, better facilities, better S&C program, and ultimately better NBA prospects. TK would have to be pretty cynical to look at where IU is today and think Purdue has a better program. Purdue had lightning in a bottle with four years of Carsen Edwards and it showed last year after he was gone. 

Re: IU vs. purdoodoo

I believe we are finally starting to get players in that 1) work their @$$ off outside of practice and 2) hate to lose to pu.  We have lacked this for a long time!  I believe Phin, Franklin, Jackson-Davis, Galloway, and Leal understand what it means to be the best in the state.  Hopefully, Kaufman understands this when he's wearing the candystripes and we start kicking their @$$ again.

1 hour ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

That’s an interesting point, I remember Dakich talking about that from when he was recruited.  He said he liked Keady and Purdue but when it came to basketball IU was simply the place you went.

I think Purdue started to develop a bit of a cool factor it may not have previously had around when Glenn Robinson was there, especially among younger kids/teenagers.  My feeling is that factor started creeping up again once Painter got traction with his ’07 class and it’s gotten more that way since. IU still carries more brand equity but I’m afraid that gap has closed a lot in the eyes of kids we are now recruiting.  Assuming he was born in late 2002 or early 2003, we’ve only beaten Purdue once since Trey was 11 so if we want to take momentum back in the series (and I desperately hope we do), this is a crucial recruit for IU.

6 minutes ago, craigyv88 said:

That’s an interesting point, I remember Dakich talking about that from when he was recruited.  He said he liked Keady and Purdue but when it came to basketball IU was simply the place you went.

I think Purdue started to develop a bit of a cool factor it may not have previously had around when Glenn Robinson was there, especially among younger kids/teenagers.  My feeling is that factor started creeping up again once Painter got traction with his ’07 class and it’s gotten more that way since. IU still carries more brand equity but I’m afraid that gap has closed a lot in the eyes of kids we are now recruiting.  Assuming he was born in late 2002 or early 2003, we’ve only beaten Purdue once since Trey was 11 so if we want to take momentum back in the series (and I desperately hope we do), this is a crucial recruit for IU.

Hey...welcome to the board craigyv88!