Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2021) PF Trey Kaufman to Purdue

Virginia fans are worrying about his commitment tweet which apparently had a background song about Air Jordans by some artist named Macklemore (I'm not familiar).  They're seemingly convinced they're out of the running and Trey will be enrolling at UNC based on the Jordan and Nike references.

I didn't want to tell them they're wrong, which would get their hopes up, and then break their hearts again by explaining how they're wrong...so, I didn't write a post (actually, in truth, I just didn't want to go through the process of creating an account for a Virginia board I'll never post on again).

2 hours ago, BH33 said:

There’s some Purdue talk on HSN right now...

I give very little credence to what milehiu says. 
Doesn’t mean he’s wrong; Trey Kaufman may end up at Purdue. 

I just simply don’t think that he has any intel other than unsourced speculation, or maybe he read an article by Snow, Meyer, or Rabjohns, or maybe another poster read an article and pmd him with what the article said. Ain’t worth much.

On this one I would trust the guys who live in Southern Indiana; those guys think it’s a two team race and IU is the more likely. But no one is sure.

I think the disinformation game is strong right  now to add to the limelight when he commits. 

Kaufman and Furst going to the same team would be completely shocking to me.  Might also cause me to have some sort of medical emergency.  

I really, really like Fursts game.  I love Kaufman’s game.  I wanted both of them.  Duncomb putting a hurt on Furst helped quell those feelings a bit.  Losing Kaufman would be much harder to compensate for. 

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

Remember the adage:
It’s not who you don’t get, it’s who you get.
Trey Kaufman would be a great ‘get’.
If he’s a ‘don’t get’, he becomes irrelevant and the players we get become relevant.

I’ve never been fully on board with this adage. I understand it’s a coping mechanism and also a way of doing business but some ‘gets’ are better than other ‘gets’.

Say we don’t get Kaufman. We then don’t get Miller. Then we focus on the new Finnish kid. I don’t know. Kaufman would not be irrelevant for a long time.

Gary Harris comes to mind.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’ve never been fully on board with this adage. I understand it’s a coping mechanism and also a way of doing business but some ‘gets’ are better than other ‘gets’.

Say we don’t get Kaufman. We then don’t get Miller. Then we focus on the new Finnish kid. I don’t know. Kaufman would not be irrelevant for a long time.

Gary Harris comes to mind.

But that’s exactly why it fits!

If we don’t get Kaufman and we get a Timmy Priller type, we are greatly diminished. If we get the Finnish kid who can shoot but can’t defend, and isn’t a culture builder, we are likely diminished. If we get Miller, Muhammed, and the Finnish kid, “who we got” is a pretty big success.

But that’s exactly why it fits!
If we don’t get Kaufman and we get a Timmy Priller type, we are greatly diminished. If we get the Finnish kid who can shoot but can’t defend, and isn’t a culture builder, we are likely diminished. If we get Miller, Muhammed, and the Finnish kid, “who we got” is a pretty big success.

I get your point. The focus goes to the next guy. Winning programs have small dropoffs on recruiting misses. Winning programs find a way to win despite which guys they land. Archie has yet to give me faith in either of these departments, yet.

Having read through that thread on HSN, I agree it doesn't sound good. But I'm willing to wait until crystal ball picks start coming in for Purdue or Chris backtracks on anything he's said. 

I post on a high school basketball message board where one of the more active posters is a Silver Creek fan. He's not an IU fan (UK I think), and really wanted him to go to Virginia. Last week, he told everyone it was IU and was pretty salty about it. 

But if it is Purdue, then it's the unfortunate reality of what we've done (or haven't done) over the last 6-7 years. Purdue has dominated us on the court during that stretch and has outperformed us overall. When your rival beats you that consistently, eventually it catches up with you, and we may be seeing that here. 

I post on here and HSN. In the last 5 years there has been exactly one reliable insider.  Who when they say something it happens. And that’s been Chris007.  Who if he’s been wrong on something I can’t recall it. 

Chris007 says he’s a Hoosier.  It’s happening on Archies B-day.  And his family wants to stay close to home. Plus several of his former teammates play for us.  

If he doesn’t pick us so be it. But regardless of “rumors” the evidence says Indiana. 

If these rumors were legit we probably would have seen crystal ball movement by now anyway 

He’s an excellent player, and apparently even a better young man.

There’s always another good player that could fill his slot; however, if we get him we don’t need to go searching for that other player. We've already got the right one.

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

There's always another kid. I would love to get Kaufman, but if the fit isn't right for him, then it's time to move on. I hope he, and all kids really, find the right situation. I don't think it's ever appropriate to be angry at kids because they don't do what we want them to. If he chooses IU, fantastic! If not, I wish him nothing but the best. All kids deserve at least that from the adults in the room.

You and your doggone reasonableness and nuance!  Sure, being the adult is what we should all aspire to. But a good smoking adolescent tantrum over something inconsequential is one of those things that makes life worth living. 

Snark aside, excellent post, and you’re , of course, exactly right,

I post on here and HSN. In the last 5 years there has been exactly one reliable insider.  Who when they say something it happens. And that’s been Chris007.  Who if he’s been wrong on something I can’t recall it. 

Chris007 says he’s a Hoosier.  It’s happening on Archies B-day.  And his family wants to stay close to home. Plus several of his former teammates play for us.  

If he doesn’t pick us so be it. But regardless of “rumors” the evidence says Indiana. 

If these rumors were legit we probably would have seen crystal ball movement by now anyway 

Did Chris say all that re IU, Archies bday etc? The last post I saw was that he felt good but also had not been around.

49 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Did Chris say all that re IU, Archies bday etc? The last post I saw was that he felt good but also had not been around.

He said it was over. It wasn’t Purdue and that it’s Indiana.  The rest about Archies B day is just extra stuff I was adding