Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

IU Baseball: NCAA Tournament With Short Ride to Louisville

Louisville offense just doesn't look right and it has not all weekend. They are doing exactly what Mercer was complaining about at Friday Press Conference for IU being impatient and popping pitches up. If this keeps up IU has a decent chance to win a pitchers duel. If UL gets it together I think we are done. Entirely up to Louisville who moves on today and I am not dissing us. 

19 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

All IU does is re-arrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I said this yesterday, but if you're going to take shots at any IU athletic program, baseball is about the last one you should aim for. We've elevated our baseball program way above where it was 10 years ago.

Now if you want to pick on the money pit known as our football program, or the three-ring circus known as our basketball program, fire away. Those programs aren't even close to pulling their weight.

Haha, he’s looking to get reactions. You’re giving him what he wants.

It’s better to laugh and think of the old adage
“It’s better to keep your mouth (or fingers) silent and them to think you’re a fool than to open it and confirm it...”

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

You guys all disagreed and wanted Louisville early and this is what you get. I get both sides but I always say avoid the best team as long as possible as shown last two years when we got blasted by UK to end season in afternoon game, while last year we made it the extra round in Regional's by facing and knocking out (albeit a very strong one) the three seed first. Illinois St. may have teed off on us as well but they have an awful bullpen that would of given us a chance to win a shootout while UL shut us down enough as soon as we chased their starter which was difference. 

Either way very encouraged for future and were going to lose to UL at some point today most likely and encouraged we battled back. Also the fact we are not far behind UL in talent now and can compete with them shows how far we have come as just over half a decaded ago we did not belong on same field.

Not having Gorski today really bit us in the butt. We will never know but if Gorski is in RF and Ashley is in his normal spot at second, Bunnell never is in position to make that error that got UL out of its offensive slumber for the win and led to the four run inning. Still, Bunnell should have made that play and that was really the difference as it directly led to a hit and run that put runners at the corners with 0 outs instead of 0 on 2 outs. We may very well have lost anyways but it certainly was the impetus UL needed to wake up a very struggling offense.

Since Mercer has developed talent unlike the previous regime we have a bright future with Ashley, Richardson, Barr and Dunham on offense and the arms of Bierman and Sommer back who are ready to move into weekend roles as Saturday and Sunday starters just fine. Just need to find that true Friday Night guy we have lacked since Kyle Hart graduated and we should be good to keep this last decade of success rolling.  

Mercer deserves tons of credit for first off taking a flawed team to a Big Ten Title and another Regional as we now expect as a program year in and year out now. Secondly, I really think Mercer wants to use the small ball approach Louisville has that works so well. He is just smart enough to recognize that Lemonis built this team on power and rather then try to change things up to much and rebuild, he took power ball for now and ran with it with even more success before implementing his own system in the future.  

To me more than anything this shows we have the right guy in charge and should at least maintain our status as a highly ranked Big Ten team. While, I would be more than OK with that and not complain for a second, Mercer also has a chance with the right breaks to make us the Louisville of the Big Ten year in and out if he can keep some of the guys UL is plucking from our state home. I feel the program had hit a ceiling with Lemonis and I am was not sure it could be maintained. With Mercer, we are good to move full speed forward and maybe even improve.

Lastly, shout out to the 1,000 or so IU fans at each game who competed loud and proud with UL when we played today and took over the stadium against the other two teams all weekend. We, certainly have grown the fan base tremendously the last ten years to the point where we have by far the strongest baseball following in the Big Ten outside Nebraska and it should only keep growing if the team keeps succeeding.      

3 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I said this yesterday, but if you're going to take shots at any IU athletic program, baseball is about the last one you should aim for. We've elevated our baseball program way above where it was 10 years ago.

From Chronic Hoosier -- The past decade of IU baseball:

7 of IU's 8 NCAA tourney appearances

3 of IU's 7 B1G titles

3 of IU's 4 B1G tournament titles

IU's only appearance in the College World Series.

From Chronic Hoosier -- The past decade of IU baseball:
7 of IU's 8 NCAA tourney appearances
3 of IU's 7 B1G titles
3 of IU's 4 B1G tournament titles
IU's only appearance in the College World Series.

Turrble

A very costly ejection for  L'ville pitcher McEvene.  Apparently it's an automatic 4-game suspension and no appeal permitted per Eric Crawford of WDRB Louisville.

Thought it was kind of a bad call but didn’t like how the announcers kept going on about it. Did Uof6 not get a warning earlier in the game for arguing balls and strikes?

15 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Thought it was kind of a bad call but didn’t like how the announcers kept going on about it. Did Uof6 not get a warning earlier in the game for arguing balls and strikes?

No warning. Ump was just terrible. Called ball 3 on strike 3 then proceeded to toss UL pitcher for saying ‘thats terrible’ and he gets automatic suspension. Then new pitcher throws ball 4 called strike 3 as makeup call. 

Ump screwed both teams big with terrible calls and should be in trouble but doubt NCAA does anything. 

Either way fun IU UL rivalry keeps building in baseball and shoutout to our fans who went toe to toe with them in fun neutral tourney atmosphere and made tons of noise all weekend.