Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

IU Baseball: NCAA Tournament With Short Ride to Louisville

Illinois sent to Ole Miss, Michigan to Oregon St, Nebraska to Oklahoma. Makes Louisville or Nashville a higher probability for IU when they return from break.

4 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Damn, a lot of B1G schools in the tourney. Gone are the days of a 1-bid conference.

OSU winning the tourney added another team who wouldn't have gotten in. 

Very glad we drew Louisville and first game against Mid Major. With that said, while that is preferable to a power five school, Illinois State is nothing to sneeze at. First off they have hit 50 HR's which is excellent for a team on that level. They also hit .295 as a team with five guys over .300 and two of which have double digit HR's. 

Pitching wise I am not impressed. We will face their ace Brent Headrick who is their one really good arm. He is a tall lefty with a ton of strikeouts which is not ideal. With that said he has been hit pretty hard when facing good teams (Vanderbilt, Illinois and Creighton) besides Indiana St. Hopefully we can get to him as the rest of their arms are pretty bad even by Mid-Major standards. This team basically tries to outscore you which is probably ideal for us. I would not be surprised at all to see a 10-8 game with Milto's struggles lately similar to Ann Arbor and hopefully we win it.

Not at all upset about this draw and we know we can play with UL and we got a far easier Regional then last year being close by and should hopefully at least get to Regional Final again. Louisville is every bit as tough as Texas last year but facing Ill. St. over A+M is night and day better. Last year it felt like an accomplishment just to eliminate A+M and get to Regional Final. Eliminating Ill. St. should be an expectation.

Obviously Louisville is a small ball team with tons of good arms and the question is going to be whether they hold their ace back for Saturday against Tanner Gordon (especially since their two and three starters are somewhat average) which I would absolutely do if I am them.

Gun to head I think we beat Ill. St., lose to Louisville, eliminate Ill. St. and go out swinging to Louisville in Regional Final much like last year. With that said this is a far more winnable Regional then last year and certainly our best chance to win one since 2014. 

I am very curious to see how many IU fans make the trip and I think it should be a ton, given we drew well against them ten years ago there and this program is light years ahead of the team that when two and out then, both talent wise and fan wise. 

Obviously I'll be there every game we play so no in game posts but will provide recaps.

22 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Aaron, do you know when the games are played on Saturday? Do the losers typically play first followed by winners or vice versa?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yes

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

So the losers of games 1 and 2 will play first and then the winners? Do you have any idea when those times will be or when they’ll be announced. I went to the Lexington regional a few years back but don’t remember much about it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11am or 12pm for the losers. 4pm for winners