Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

MisterBigRig

Samari Curtis (2019) to Nebraska

3 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I disagree, but I can understand and appreciate your perspective. Where I differ with you is while you may have some points from a macro, 30,000 ft view, the fact is the actual, literal team under-achieved. They lost 12 of 13 and mailed it in a number of times. That wasn't "growing pains" or learning the system or building a culture. That was systemic failure of the players, coaching or imo, both. Speaking only for myself, that is a legit concern. Not that IU lost games but how they lost them. They failed the eye test. I simply don't accept that it takes 3+ seasons to get players to compete, consistently. If so, there is a major problem. My gripe isn't that the record was mediocre, it's that the play was mostly total crap and on the whole was a huge under-achievement.   

Totally agree on the mailing it in. But that’s where I see Morgan as being an issue. I saw him literally quit during the Minnesota game. He was supposed to engage leader and was soft.  The upperclassmen were by and large soft and poor leaders. 

Edit: you might not accept 3 years, but that’s the reality and has been from day 1. 

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

And out of those 12 wins only 2 were against good teams, L’ville/Marquette. When we beat L’ville, I kept think my god L’ville is better but we have to hold on. Both games were in Assembly Hall where anything is possible. The rest of the games we won were against inferior competition and a buzzer beater vs Butler (mediocre Butler team)on a neutral court. Even our December Big Ten wins were against NW and PSU. Games we should have and did win. But nothing stating we are some juggernaut. 

Lol we were like Kenpom 24th not world beaters but we were beating who we were supposed to beat. 

Just keep rationalizing. Nothing is wrong rebuilds always take multiple years except for the dozens of cases where they don’t. And somehow losing our two best players is a positive and means we are right on track. 

Totally agree on the mailing it in. But that’s where I see Morgan as being an issue. I saw him literally quit during the Minnesota game. He was supposed to engage leader and was soft.  The upperclassmen were by and large soft and poor leaders. 

Edit: you might not accept 3 years, but that’s the reality and has been from day 1. 

It’s the reality only at Indiana apparently 

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

I hope you are right and it will be addition by subtraction. Clearly there were internal issues with the team and I still believe that is on the coach- but it's a new team & season so we'll see where that leads. 

4 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I hope you are right and it will be addition by subtraction. Clearly there were internal issues with the team and I still believe that is on the coach- but it's a new team & season so we'll see where that leads. 

Seth Greenberg was on DD a month ago, or so. He talked about if you have a one and done, you need several of them or it’s a problem. He stated several schools who took 1 such player but couldn’t make the NCAAs in the past. Stating that it creates jealousy on the team. No other play can relate to the one and done player bc their experience in college is different. The one and done goal isn’t the same as the team goal, etc. obviously Carmelo was the exception, but that was a solid team top to bottom.

Compounding that with weak player (senior) leadership, and it’s a recipe for a trouble. Possibly losing 12 of 13 trouble. 

I don’t just write things off, sweep them under the rug. I want to find reasons why. While I wish we played in the NCAAs, I also recognize the flaws of that team and will not jump on Archie for it in year 2. 

Archie definitely has to grow. But we knew that when we hired such a young head coach. Gotta give the man room to breathe and grow too. 

I don’t just write things off, sweep them under the rug. I want to find reasons why. While I wish we played in the NCAAs, I also recognize the flaws of that team and will not jump on Archie for it in year 2. 

Archie definitely has to grow. But we knew that when we hired such a young head coach. Gotta give the man room to breathe and grow too. 

Fair enough, he's definitely going to get his chance. I can't imagine a scenario where Archie doesn't have 4 seasons. Depending on the results there may be a lynch mob by the end of season 4, but he'll have opportunity. 

13 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s the reality only at Indiana apparently 

Or Duke (K year 4), MSU (Izzy year 3), WVU (Beilien year 3), Michigan (Beilien year 2 but missed in year 3), Florida (Donovan year 3), Pitt (Howland year 3), Virginia (Bennett year 3, but missed year 4). Point being, when you take over a team that is mentally weak and soft, lacking overall top talent, it takes years to get the ship righted. Usually 3 years and your rolling. Archie has said from day 1 it was a 3 year process to implement his system. If we struggle next year, then we don’t have the guy. If he progresses next year, then we could be in store for a bright future. 

8 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Fair enough, he's definitely going to get his chance. I can't imagine a scenario where Archie doesn't have 4 seasons. Depending on the results there may be a lynch mob by the end of season 4, but he'll have opportunity. 

Here is how I see it. He will succeed next year and the angst goes away. He loses next year, and we could be calling on Brad Stevens, depending on how the Celtics do next year. 

Or Duke (K year 4), MSU (Izzy year 3), WVU (Beilien year 3), Michigan (Beilien year 2 but missed in year 3), Florida (Donovan year 3), Pitt (Howland year 3), Virginia (Bennett year 3, but missed year 4). Point being, when you take over a team that is mentally weak and soft, lacking overall top talent, it takes years to get the ship righted. Usually 3 years and your rolling. Archie has said from day 1 it was a 3 year process to implement his system. If we struggle next year, then we don’t have the guy. If he progresses next year, then we could be in store for a bright future. 

Sean Miller 30 wins his second year. Mack at U6. Holtman at OSU

Year 3 is not a hard and fast rule. 

25 minutes ago, Feathery said:

You gotta get over that 12 game stretch. They came back hard at the end. Whatever was going on behind closed doors got fixed by the end. 

I hope the staff doesn't have such a careless attitude about the team not being bothered to show up so often.  If they do, they won't last at a program that actually cares; which means they're in line for extensions with the IU administration.

No, it didn't get fixed since they didn't show up for their elimination game and effort was subpar in some of their NIT games.

The team and staff had better be saying "we failed, we have to do better, this is unacceptable"; they did fail and it should be unacceptable.  If they're making these excuses for not even trying then we need a new staff, ASAP.

11 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Sean Miller 30 wins his second year. Mack at U6. Holtman at OSU

Year 3 is not a hard and fast rule. 

Lol. Sean Miller cheats his arse off. Mack had a good roster. Holtmann has done well but he walked into a system that had coached his style for years. But let’s not let facts get in the way of a good hate session. 

Lol. Sean Miller cheats his arse off. Mack had a good roster. Holtmann has done well but he walked into a system that had coached his style for years. But let’s not let facts get in the way of a good hate session. 

Team went 16-4 outside a disastrous 1-12 run in the middle yet you think it’s a fact we weren’t talented enough to win in year 2. Sorry your the one not using facts

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Team went 16-4 outside a disastrous 1-12 run in the middle yet you think it’s a fact we weren’t talented enough to win in year 2. Sorry your the one not using facts

Bad run for sure. Not willing to give up on my team though. I see the issues. I see them upgrading talent. Seeing experience growing. It’s not the doom and gloom you think. 

Bad run for sure. Not willing to give up on my team though. I see the issues. I see them upgrading talent. Seeing experience growing. It’s not the doom and gloom you think. 

Definitely not all doom and gloom but if some want to feel that way that’s their own choice and opinion how things were or should of been in year 2 just like it’s other people’s opinion myself included that progress was made in areas from year 1 to 2 and I expect more progress in year 3 despite losing important players. I believe in getting old and gaining experience so I look forward to next year. Happens every year in college basketball teams underperform, over preform or stay the same. Hopefully IU over preforms. Oklahoma lost Tre Young and a couple seniors from their final 4 team and were suppose to take a step back. They actually had a better team and went further in the tournament then Young’s year. Baylor was suppose to be the bottom of the league and that was before a couple injuries but they still proved people wrong and made the tourney and even won a game. West Virginia was a pre season top 15 team and ended up being terrible. If someone is telling people how good or bad a team is going to be next year on May 10th then I wouldn’t really listen or pay attention.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Purdue has upperclassmen leading the way. They weren’t starting 4 freshman and sophs. 
Edit: we definitely could have made it. We fell a game short.  But making it would have put us ahead of schedule. 

Who’s schedule? I never heard Archie nor Glass say anything about that when the hire was made

12 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Who’s schedule? I never heard Archie nor Glass say anything about that when the hire was made

Archie said, I believe in his open speech, that it would take 3 years to get his system into place. If it wasn’t that opening speech it was in one of his many early interviews. 

Edit: look at most coaches and it does take 3 years to get going. I’ve posted this elsewhere. Sure there are outliers. But next season is a big year, one way or the other.