Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

MisterBigRig

Samari Curtis (2019) to Nebraska

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Probably sums it up. Deep down, each year I keep expecting him to outperform expectations because I truly feel he is a good/great coach. Then it doesn’t happen, and you wonder why. Last year during the losing streak, no major changes happened. Subtle things for sure. Fitzner and Smith spent a little more time on the pine.

I go into this year the same way, roster looks unspectacular on paper. Probably be preseason ranked 7-11.

Time to outperform those expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think Archie has the ability to get the job done at IU at this point I will continue to think that, but with that said one major issue I have so far is his inability to get the team to play in his mold. Yes, the defense has been much better and the turnover issue is better since Crean, but I'm talking about identity and culture. That feeling that while you don't if we'll win or lose, you know it's going to look like an Archie Miller team. You know you're going to get toughness, hustle, defense, etc.

I understand culture can take time to implement, but how many times do you see a new coach come to a team and while they might not win right away, most likely just due to lack of talent in the coaching transition, but you can see the coach in the way the team plays. You can see how there's a connection between coach/players and they culture is being implemented.

I haven't seen that yet from IU under Archie and it's kind of worrisome. I thought at minimum he'd have IU playing super hard and with energy and toughness. 

49 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think Archie has the ability to get the job done at IU at this point I will continue to think that, but with that said one major issue I have so far is his inability to get the team to play in his mold. Yes, the defense has been much better and the turnover issue is better since Crean, but I'm talking about identity and culture. That feeling that while you don't if we'll win or lose, you know it's going to look like an Archie Miller team. You know you're going to get toughness, hustle, defense, etc.

I understand culture can take time to implement, but how many times do you see a new coach come to a team and while they might not win right away, most likely just due to lack of talent in the coaching transition, but you can see the coach in the way the team plays. You can see how there's a connection between coach/players and they culture is being implemented.

I haven't seen that yet from IU under Archie and it's kind of worrisome. I thought at minimum he'd have IU playing super hard and with energy and toughness. 

Question. Wouldn’t a team with improved defense and less turnovers be a reflection of the team taking the personality of the coach? Especially when that coach values defense and ball security above all. 

Question. Wouldn’t a team with improved defense and less turnovers be a reflection of the team taking the personality of the coach? Especially when that coach values defense and ball security above all. 

Absolutely, I believe what BGleas is getting at is the “you might out talent us but won’t outwork us” mentality of Archie teams at Dayton. I’m not sure I’ve seen that at IU for more than short spurts. That is very worrisome and extends past Archie at IU. It seems we’ve become a soft program and that’s something that pisses me off about the program.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I think Archie has the ability to get the job done at IU at this point I will continue to think that, but with that said one major issue I have so far is his inability to get the team to play in his mold. Yes, the defense has been much better and the turnover issue is better since Crean, but I'm talking about identity and culture. That feeling that while you don't if we'll win or lose, you know it's going to look like an Archie Miller team. You know you're going to get toughness, hustle, defense, etc. I understand culture can take time to implement, but how many times do you see a new coach come to a team and while they might not win right away, most likely just due to lack of talent in the coaching transition, but you can see the coach in the way the team plays. You can see how there's a connection between coach/players and they culture is being implemented.

Not seeing that either and really haven’t seen this junkyard dog mentality that I thought he had and he brought to a team. I haven’t seen from the team nor in his recruiting.

Soft is a good description

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

Like Aloha and MikeRoberts said, I'm talking more about personality. Defense and limiting turnovers are more of an X's and O's thing. I'm talking about the tenacious, you're not going to outwork me, pit-bull mentality that Archie has. 

I don't watch his IU teams and see his personality coming through in the teams yet. Do you?

Like Aloha and MikeRoberts said, I'm talking more about personality. Defense and limiting turnovers are more of an X's and O's thing. I'm talking about the tenacious, you're not going to outwork me, pit-bull mentality that Archie has. 

I don't watch his IU teams and see his personality coming through in the teams yet. Do you?

To juxtapose that, I think Crean’s teams 100% took on his caffeinated personality especially on offense, undisciplined, 100 miles an hour

To juxtapose that, I think Crean’s teams 100% took on his caffeinated personality especially on offense, 100 miles an hour

We couldn’t wait for the other team to score, so we could go back on offense.

We couldn’t wait for the other team to score, so we could go back on offense.

Because 3 is more than 2. I think that’s what one of the signs said that the staff would hold up

Is there any indication IU is showing interest  in Samari? I checked 24/7 and it doesn't have IU listed- for whatever that is worth. 

Having both the Indiana and Ohio MR. Basketball would be cool. 

Is there any indication IU is showing interest  in Samari? I checked 24/7 and it doesn't have IU listed- for whatever that is worth. 

Take it to the Samari thread you id.... never mind.

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

I see it at times, others Times not so much. I have taken the view that it has come down to the players he inherited, and the youth of the squad. His guys have been freshmen and sophomores, counting Smith and Durham. Next year he will have 3 classes of recruits that know only his system, outside of Brunk. That’s huge for the culture of the program. 

IU had him for an unofficial before he committed to Cincy but the staff didn’t offer and I haven’t heard of them jumping back in his recruitment now that he is open

While some IU fans wait for Archie's bulldog mentality to move to his team, I feel it's a good time to mention that Coach Mike Davis was named Mr Hustle his last two years at Alabama.  His teams never seemed to assimilate his qualities either.  At some point, you need to realize that only results on the court matter.  Hopefully Archie can surpass him there, but it's been a very underwhelming tenure for him so far.

While some IU fans wait for Archie's bulldog mentality to move to his team, I feel it's a good time to mention that Coach Mike Davis was named Mr Hustle his last two years at Alabama.  His teams never seemed to assimilate his qualities either.  At some point, you need to realize that only results on the court matter.  Hopefully Archie can surpass him there, but it's been a very underwhelming tenure for him so far.
I think underwhelming is as fair a "one word" association with Archie's tenure as there is out there. If you feel otherwise either direction think before you lie.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

9 hours ago, Josh said:

So true; however, unlike Mike Davis, Archie's Dayton teams absolutely DID embody that "bulldog mentality."