Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2020) PF Matt Cross to Miami

Cross would likely have been far more game-ready as a freshman than Geronimo.
Geronimo likely has a higher ceiling, especially defensively.

Yeah as a 3 I definitely agree. I personally will watch to see how he does at that position. I think he is a really solid player and could help any team that was after him. I wanted him and Geronimo. What I have concerns on Cross is he is dictating what position he wants to play as opposed to what position would he get most minutes and help his team up front more. We have had too much of that here. I don’t want to bash the kid and truly wish him luck. Miami usually has a really good team every couple of years. Hope he is a part of that. Both sides win .

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Cross no longer with Miami and sounding like it was Jim Larranaga's decision not Cross'.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/former-iu-basketball-2020-recruiting-target-matt-cross-leaving-miami/?fbclid=IwAR2YDCb6VPMarSevVMQCiE4JFC1qruFNwVkKbzxciD7a2uXfJo9ac5X2VqE

Already seen a number of tweets that Archie should already have him on a plane to Bloomington.  Could we at least find out WHY he was booted by Larranaga before we put him in an IU uniform?  This kid's timeline below could be an indicator that he's a chronic problem child.

Matt Cross timeline:

• 2017: St Mary's HS
  • 2018: Cushing Academy
  • 2019: Woodstock Academy
  • 2020: Brewster Academy
  • 2021: Miami

I was just looking him up earlier this week. He was a guy I really liked at EYBL. Cross was pretty good down there for a freshman. Former IU recruit Harlan Beverly is down there too, playing pretty poorly. 

Cross was a little polarizing because he’s in that awkward tweener 6’6” to 6’7” size but not really a guard. When I watched him play he was making plays on both ends. Sounds like Miami fans are sad to see him go. 

Without knowing the story I won’t comment on whether or not I want him here. Thanks as always, OF. 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Cross no longer with Miami and sounding like it was Jim Larranaga's decision not Cross'.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/former-iu-basketball-2020-recruiting-target-matt-cross-leaving-miami/?fbclid=IwAR2YDCb6VPMarSevVMQCiE4JFC1qruFNwVkKbzxciD7a2uXfJo9ac5X2VqE

Already seen a number of tweets that Archie should already have him on a plane to Bloomington.  Could we at least find out WHY he was booted by Larranaga before we put him in an IU uniform?  This kid's timeline below could be an indicator that he's a chronic problem child.

Matt Cross timeline:

Just looks like trouble to me

46 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

I was just looking him up earlier this week. He was a guy I really liked at EYBL. Cross was pretty good down there for a freshman. Former IU recruit Harlan Beverly is down there too, playing pretty poorly. 

Cross was a little polarizing because he’s in that awkward tweener 6’6” to 6’7” size but not really a guard. When I watched him play he was making plays on both ends. Sounds like Miami fans are sad to see him go. 

Without knowing the story I won’t comment on whether or not I want him here. Thanks as always, OF. 

I'm in the same boat regarding whether or not IU should reach out.  It all depends on what ultimately prompted the dismissal. From what I recall Archie really liked Cross and I at one point thought he would be a member of our 2020 class before it was clear that Miami and South Carolina were the leaders to get him.

Cross was shooting 40% from 3 on 50 attempts at Miami and got nine starts.  7 PPG and 3.5 RPG. I've seen him listed at 6'8" and if he has truly reached that height it would be hard to not be interested in a kid that size that can shoot and stretch the floor.  But, as OF pointed out switching schools every year is a cause for concern and we don't know what went wrong at Miami.

15 hours ago, Stromboli said:

But does he warm up hard? Because if he doesn't take warmups seriously we IU fans don't want him. Happy Friday!!

15 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Matt Cross timeline:

Not out of the norm though in the Northeast with all of the prep schools. 4 is a little much but there is a lot of transferring in that area for high school kids. 

25 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Not out of the norm though in the Northeast with all of the prep schools. 4 is a little much but there is a lot of transferring in that area for high school kids. 

It's normal for a nationally relevant prospect to move from their hometown school to a prep school. It is also normal to move from a small local prep school to a nationally ranked basketball factory prep school. 

Matt Cross was at three different nationally relevant prep schools. That's not normal.

I'm with OF on this one: big fluttering high-flying red flags with this young man.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

It's normal for a nationally relevant prospect to move from their hometown school to a prep school. It is also normal to move from a small local prep school to a nationally ranked basketball factory prep school. 

Matt Cross was at three different nationally relevant prep schools. That's not normal.

I'm with OF on this one: big fluttering high-flying red flags with this young man.

I'm guessing we're going to kick the tires regardless of those red flags

41 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The annual prep school tour is absolutely unsettling. When you then factor in that he chose the school that from all indications pretty brazenly bought Bruce Brown, and, yeah, there would be some very tough vetting to do here.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

He's a high-motor combo forward that can shoot. I can see why we'd kick the tires. 

Also hoping we look under the hood, talk with the prior owner, and have a complete mechanic's inspection.

Good point, we don't want no lemon

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

He's a high-motor combo forward that can shoot. I can see why we'd kick the tires. 

Also hoping we look under the hood, talk with the prior owner, and have a complete mechanic's inspection.

The 1 thing Miller has unassailably done is bring in good kids. So if he does move on Cross, I wouldn’t lose a bunch of sleep over it. But, yeah, better be every bit that thorough.

Assuming he's not thug, I'd be interested if he's 6'7"-6'8" and has some semblance of an inside game and interior defense. In other words a PF in the CWat mold. 

If he's a 6'5" he'd need to be a real knock-down shooter or else it's it's gonna get awfully crowded on the wing.  

20 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Assuming he's not thug, I'd be interested if he's 6'7"-6'8" and has some semblance of an inside game and interior defense. In other words a PF in the CWat mold. 

If he's a 6'5" he'd need to be a real knock-down shooter or else it's it's gonna get awfully crowded on the wing.  

247 had him 6'6.  He shot 40% from 3 at Miami and about 87 from the stripe.