Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Juwan Morgan - Runa Basket (Russia)

Time will tell, but wish Juwan the best in the next stage of his basketball life.     Side note:  I thought earlier I saw a reference that this firm also represented Yogi but he's not mentioned in the press release nor did I see Yogi's name in the firm's client list.  

Former IU forward Juwan Morgan has signed with Edge Sports International as he continues his preparation for this summer's NBA Draft. Sports Business Journal's Liz Mullen first reported the move, and the organization confirmed it with a tweet welcoming Morgan to its roster of clients.

Morgan will be represented by Keith Kreiter and Sam Cipriano, according to Mullen. Both Kreiter, Edge Sports' presdient, and Cipriano also represents former Indiana standout Will Sheehey.

The only Hoosier to start all 35 games last winter, Morgan averaged 15.5 points and a team-high 8.2 rebounds in 29.8 minutes per game as a senior. He concluded his IU career 24th in program history in scoring (1,374), eighth in blocked shots (138), tied for fourth in field goal percentage (56.2) and 10th in rebounds (757).

The 2019 NBA Draft will take place June 20th at 7 p.m. eastern time at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. ESPN will televise it.

Indiana University forward Juwan Morgan is one of 64 players who will participate in the 2019 Portsmouth Invitational Tournament in Portsmouth, Virginia from April 17 thru 20.  He will play for Sales Systems, Ltd., and will face K & D Rounds Landscape Service at 7 p.m., Wednesday.

Games are played at Churchland High School Sports Complex in Portsmouth, Virginia. The address is 4301 Cedar Lane in Portsmouth.

Full Schedule  at https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/schedule-results

A two-time All-Big Ten performer, Morgan averaged 15.5 points and 8.2 rebounds and led the team with 54 blocked shots and 41 steals.  He finished 9th in the league in scoring, 5th in rebounds and 7th in field goal percentage and blocked shots.  The Waynesville, Mo. native recently completed a stellar four-year career which saw him finish 24th in career scoring at IU with 1,374 points, 10th in rebounds with 757, 4th in career field goal percentage at 56.2% and 8th in blocked shots.

Each year for 67 years the event has invited 64 of the best college basketball players (seniors) from across the nation to participate in a four-day, twelve game tournament in front of representatives from every NBA team.  The tournament drew the attention of NBA Scouts and General Managers in the 1970's when players like Rick Barry, Earl "The Pearl" Monroe, Dave Cowens, John Lucas and Bobby Cremins came to Portsmouth to play.  Soon the word spread and approximately 200 Scouts, General Managers and Representatives of all 30 NBA teams began to come to see players like John Stockton, Dennis Rodman, Tim Hardaway, Scottie Pippen and others.  Today scouts from numerous international leagues have joined in on the annual April pilgrimage to Portsmouth. 

Over the years the P.I.T. has been a showcase for five of the 50 greatest players in NBA History (Rick Barry, Earl 'The Pearl" Monroe, Dave Cowens, John Stockton, Scottie Pippen) and for many others who have gone on to NBA stardom including 2015 NBA All-Star Jimmy Butler.   

36 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Guy scores 34.5 PPG in Banker's Life Fieldhouse.   Pacers have to take a good look, right?   What can Draymond Green do that Morgan eventually can't?   I'm serious about that....  Pacers could do a lot worse, and have many times.

I completely agree with this.  They have a similar build, are underrated athletes, well rounded players, and have a good basketball IQ.  They are both small ball big guys and can fit well in the modern NBA game.  The obvious hurdle for both was also the same coming out of college...  becoming an NBA level athlete.  Green completely transformed his body by dramatically improving his work ethic.  Juwan will likely need to do that to get a steady spot on a roster.  Of course, Draymond's next step was developing into a great playmaker for his teammates and an All NBA level defender, while simply out hustling every other player in the league.  To be honest, most guys just can't get to that next level, but I wouldn't bet against Juwan.  He's certainly worthy of a flier.

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

Guy scores 34.5 PPG in Banker's Life Fieldhouse.   Pacers have to take a good look, right?   What can Draymond Green do that Morgan eventually can't?   I'm serious about that....  Pacers could do a lot worse, and have many times.

I bet Morgan can't irritate the **** out of me the way Draymond does.

Juwan's stats for the 3 games at the Portsmouth Invitational

W/L Pts. FGM FGA 3PM 3PA FTM FTA Reb Assts. TO's  Stls. Blks. Min.
  W 8 4 10 0 3 0 0 2 2 1 2 0 22
  W 17 5 9 2 4 5 7 3 1 3 1 0 26
  L 18 9 18 0 2 0 1 8 3 3 2 2 32

Avg   14.3 49%   22%   63%   4 2 2 2 1 27

On 4/17/2019 at 2:25 PM, Old Friend said:

I don't think the Bankers Life stuff makes any difference, but I love that comparison to Draymond. Probably stating the obvious, but I think that role only works with the right team of players around it.