Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

1 hour ago, LIHoosier said:

Brunk in the Trunk wins the Dark Yellow jersey.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IndianaMBB/status/1185197394415280129/photo/1

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I am really excited that both the winners have been players new to the team this year. But I am also kinda concerned that both the winners have been players new to the team this year lol 

27 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I am really excited that both the winners have been players new to the team this year. But I am also kinda concerned that both the winners have been players new to the team this year lol 

To be fair one is a McDonald’s all American the other is a senior. They should be two of the better players. 

The only returning players I would expect to challenge them would be Rob, Hunter, Green and Smith. 

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

To be fair one is a McDonald’s all American the other is a senior. They should be two of the better players. 

The only returning players I would expect to challenge them would be Rob, Hunter, Green and Smith. 

I mean that is why I said I am excited and not excited at the same time

I'd far rather see him on the block with his back to the basket a-la Juwon Morgan than try to develop an outside game.   Why can't he be Dennis Rodman?  Why can't he be Stacey Augmon?   Why can't he be Juwon Morgan (the on the block version)?   Why can't he be Horace Grant?   I don't need to see him shooting more than 15 three's all season.

Because that isn’t who Justin Smith is. He’s a Maurice Harkless type of player. A guy that is seen in the NBA as a slasher and defensive guy who can play the 3 and small ball 4. Just like Harkless. And a guy they’d let work on a 3pt game but it isn’t exactly a necessity early on in his career.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

25 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Because that isn’t who Justin Smith is. He’s a Maurice Harkless type of player. A guy that is seen in the NBA as a slasher and defensive guy who can play the 3 and small ball 4. Just like Harkless. And a guy they’d let work on a 3pt game but it isn’t exactly a necessity early on in his career.

You make me laugh at least once a day.   The NBA.  For Justin Smith.  That's funny.  And a random "Maurice Harkless" reference?  Is that your way of saying "look at how much basketball I know!" ?   Justin Smith.  In the NBA as a "defensive guy," but you blow off the references I made.    My God, man.  Well...thank you for the laugh.  Not sure it's what you were after, but I did.  

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

The only way Justin Smith is seen in the NBA is if he buys a ticket like the rest of us. 

I don't care about his profession aspirations, I only care about how he can help IU.

The only way Justin Smith is seen in the NBA is if he buys a ticket like the rest of us. 
I don't care about his profession aspirations, I only care about how he can help IU.

Well think of it like this, if he gets on the NBA’s radar, then he’s probably playing well. That’s a positive. But people here want him to play like an Emmitt Holt or Freddie McSwain but that’s just not who he is and he’s never been that type.

On 10/11/2019 at 6:12 PM, Demo said:

Agree that he has the traits and experience to help defensively. But I just see a glaring misfit with Archie’s offensive philosophy. Just don’t see a role on that end. At all. I would like his fit as a 4 in a really high tempo style with a lot of player movement, like Eric Musselman’s system. Maybe what Smart does. Would have been fine with Crean. In an open court game he could absolutely be a problem. But Archie’s tempo and the stuff he runs, or at least what he was running last year, really minimize Smith’s strengths. I actually think transferring would have made a ton of sense for him. Since he chose to stay, I really hope the kid finds a niche. But I don’t see it. Love to be wrong. 

Totally agree. Smith is a Crean type as is Green IMO.

Well think of it like this, if he gets on the NBA’s radar, then he’s probably playing well. That’s a positive. But people here want him to play like an Emmitt Holt or Freddie McSwain but that’s just not who he is and he’s never been that type.

Ole Joe and his extremes. So fun to talk to. If he isn’t shooting a 3 every shot that means you want him to be Holt or McSwain. Just so you know he also has never been a player with any ball handling or shooting ability. So he is closer to those two players than what you want him to be. Have a great night Joe.

40 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Justin Smith can't shoot and he can't dribble. You need those skills to play on the perimeter. People want him to play like a Freddie McSwain because he doesn't have the skills to be a wing. So, what else would he be?

Ole Joe and his extremes. So fun to talk to. If he isn’t shooting a 3 every shot that means you want him to be Holt or McSwain. Just so you know he also has never been a player with any ball handling or shooting ability. So he is closer to those two players than what you want him to be. Have a great night Joe.

I’d love to see Smith play with McSwain’s intensity and passion. He’d be on an All Big Ten team if he played with that type of determination. If we get production from TJD, Davis, and Brunk at the 5 while Smith rebounded, defended, and was the garbage man we think he can be I’d pencil us in to the NCAAs this season.

You guys rule smith out way to early. Look again at VOs 3pt % increase year to year. Sure VO had great work ethic but none of us really know what smith is doing this offseason.

To me he is not necessary to have a good year but if he can bump his 3pt shooting % up enough to be a threat from there than that is great. It is not out of the question.

Is it likely, no. And if he doesn’t we move on to the next guy.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I’d love to see Smith play with McSwain’s intensity and passion. He’d be on an All Big Ten team if he played with that type of determination. If we get production from TJD, Davis, and Brunk at the 5 while Smith rebounded, defended, and was the garbage man we think he can be I’d pencil us in to the NCAAs this season.

Completely agree and feel that is our best shot to a successful season. Ready to get this season started.

1 hour ago, triple said:

Agree here.  If you write off four year players based on their freshman and sophomore contributions you miss the point of having four year players.  Looking forward to the payoff with Justin.

Also, those dismissing his defense are telling on themselves. Of course he was imperfect and prone to focus lapses, but how many guys In the conference could stay with Cassius Winston on a switch AND body MSU’s bigs on the same possession?

No one is saying he’s an NBA player now, but the raw tools are unteachable. 

2 hours ago, triple said:

Agree here.  If you write off four year players based on their freshman and sophomore contributions you miss the point of having four year players.  Looking forward to the payoff with Justin.

I'm not writing him off. There's a role for him on a successful team. I just question whether he's willing to play that role. 

You guys rule smith out way to early. Look again at VOs 3pt % increase year to year. Sure VO had great work ethic but none of us really know what smith is doing this offseason.

To me he is not necessary to have a good year but if he can bump his 3pt shooting % up enough to be a threat from there than that is great. It is not out of the question.

Is it likely, no. And if he doesn’t we move on to the next guy.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think we have similar ideas but just approaching it from opposite perspectives.

Smith could potentially increase his 3PT% this season. He shot quite poorly last season so I’d hate to see it fall. In his first few seasons, VO had the drive just not the skill (time) to pull off the moves he thought he could. In his first few seasons, Smith has appeared to be disinterested at times.

Sure, we can have a great year without Smith. However, if Smith were to play with the drive of a McSwain and within himself we’d have a better year. Although, I do think we see a bit of that junkyard dog mentality from TJD once he gets his feet wet.

I think Indiana has sacrificed being a good to great program to groom certain players for the next level. I’d like to see that reversed and see players sacrifice to make the program better. If that starts with Smith being the rebounder, defender, and trash man I referenced earlier I’d be happy.

I'm not writing him off. There's a role for him on a successful team. I just question whether he's willing to play that role. 

Except you want him in a role he doesn’t fit and one that will make him fail. He’s a 3/4. He’s a slasher, defender and when focused and aggressive a rebounder. We’d love to see his 3 game get better because it helps the team that much more. Not wanting guys to expand their game and get better literally makes no sense. A guy like Smith can work on his 3 ball and still work on the rest of his game and he’s already a natural slasher and good defender. And if he has a dream of playing in the NBA and has the work ethic to make it happen, then that is awesome and every fan should support that and hope he continues growing as a player. Good lord, people call me a pessimist yet want to dog on Smith for trying to make a dream come true. You really don’t have to be a good shooter to be in the NBA and you don’t even have to be able to dribble. Smith has the tools to make a roster and him trying to make himself better and into an NBA prospect will only make this better.

13 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Except you want him in a role he doesn’t fit and one that will make him fail. He’s a 3/4. He’s a slasher, defender and when focused and aggressive a rebounder. We’d love to see his 3 game get better because it helps the team that much more. Not wanting guys to expand their game and get better literally makes no sense. A guy like Smith can work on his 3 ball and still work on the rest of his game and he’s already a natural slasher and good defender. And if he has a dream of playing in the NBA and has the work ethic to make it happen, then that is awesome and every fan should support that and hope he continues growing as a player. Good lord, people call me a pessimist yet want to dog on Smith for trying to make a dream come true. You really don’t have to be a good shooter to be in the NBA and you don’t even have to be able to dribble. Smith has the tools to make a roster and him trying to make himself better and into an NBA prospect will only make this better.

How does he not fit the role that HoosierAloha described? He isn't a perimeter player. He can't shoot and he can't dribble. How many 3s in the NBA can't shoot or dribble? Hell, how many 4s in the NBA can't shoot or dribble? He shot 22% from 3 and 51% from the line last year. Of the 9 guys who played 10+ minutes last year, he had the 3rd highest turnover percentage. 

Smith had the 9th worst 3 point percentage last year on a team that was dead last in the B1G in that category. I'm all for players improving their games, but it'd be rather silly for his focus to be on 3 point shooting. Ideally he wouldn't shoot any next season.

If he wants to make the NBA then that's great, but he can do that on his own time. Archie's job isn't to get players to the NBA, it's to win basketball games. Right now Smith plays for IU and his job is to play the role IU needs him to play to help the team. Making the NBA is a whole lot harder than you make it out to be. Juwan Morgan went undrafted and was just waived by the Jazz and he's 10x the player Justin Smith is.