Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

I am starting to firmly believe that Joey Brunk will be the leader of this team, and his impact cannot be overstated.

It’s Joey’s locker room, and DeVonte’s offense.

Man would love to see some salty Butler fans. 

And if this is Devonte's offense I’m ok as long as Phinisee is passing him the ball

**Y’all will definitely want to listen to the most recent episode of this:**

https://www.spreaker.com/show/the-hoosier-hysterics-podcast

It’s long, and it’s worth every minute. For the current roster, there is brilliantly choice material about Archie’s efforts to build a winning culture, including quite a bit on Joey Brunk and his ability to hold teammates accountable.

I may be wrong, but I thought the question was through the 20-21 season. I may be wrong. Too lazy to look.Edit I went ahead and looked.
This was post 1671 by USPS

IU's Archie Miller on the number of players he could bring in for 2020-21: "Four to six more players . That’s the way college basketball goes now. It’s a revolving door, good or bad." #iubb
Jon Blau

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

He said “for the 2020-2021 season” which means 2020 recruiting class.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

20 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Yeah I’ve seen reports that Brunk has impressed during the workouts and if season started today would be ahead of both

Unless Brunk has gotten miles better than the player I watched last year, and that would fantastic, I would find this, a) almost impossible to believe, and b) not encouraging. The guy I watched last year, and maybe y’all saw something different, had nice hands and feet, good passer, could finish around the rim, though not great in traffic, runs and competes hard. Energy and emotion.  But, a non-rebounder, non-rim protector who could be leveraged off the block on offense and consistently, and I mean consistently, gave up deep post position. Not a physical guy. And that wasn’t the Big Ten. When he announced, I thought, nice piece, I like it. But I’ve never thought of him as more than a useful rotational piece on a team that’s any good. Certainly not your best interior guy. If that puts me in a small minority, I’m absolutely rooting for y’all to be right.

4 minutes ago, Demo said:

Unless Brunk has gotten miles better than the player I watched last year, and that would fantastic, I would find this, a) almost impossible to believe, and b) not encouraging. The guy I watched last year, and maybe y’all saw something different, had nice hands and feet, good passer, could finish around the rim, though not great in traffic, runs and competes hard. Energy and emotion.  But, a non-rebounder, non-rim protector who could be leveraged off the block on offense and consistently, and I mean consistently, gave up deep post position. Not a physical guy. And that wasn’t the Big Ten. When he announced, I thought, nice piece, I like it. But I’ve never thought of him as more than a useful rotational piece on a team that’s any good. Certainly not your best interior guy. If that puts me in a small minority, I’m absolutely rooting for y’all to be right.

He was playing in a system completely wrong for him.  Not sure anything we saw good or bad at Butler matters. 

I definitely won’t dispute anything you said, because I agree with all of it. I think with the Packline you can mask that somewhat since there won’t be a ton of space on the block. The flip side to that is if we over-help we will have a lot of 3s going up against us. Which happened last year.

10 minutes ago, Demo said:

Significant strength improvements could help with some of those deficiencies.

I definitely won’t dispute anything you said, because I agree with all of it. I think with the Packline you can mask that somewhat since there won’t be a ton of space on the block. The flip side to that is if we over-help we will have a lot of 3s going up against us. Which happened last year.

The pack line and the fact that most of the time it is likely that TJD will will be on the court with him to help with defense and rebounding. Justin Smith will help on the boards too with Brunk.

I really cannot see Phin, Green, and Al all starting together. That is too small for a pack line defense, right?

Phin, Green, Hunter, TJD, Brunk would make more sense with Smith and De'Ron off the bench to back up the bigs and Al backing up the guard spots. Need Damezi to step up off the bench and be a contributor this year from the wing. Otherwise we are going be relying too much on a developing Armaan. Don't see much room for Race unless he has made a big jump this offseason.

The pack line and the fact that most of the time it is likely that TJD will will be on the court with him to help with defense and rebounding. Justin Smith will help on the boards too with Brunk.

For sure. The only lineups that scare me are Davis and Brunk at the same time. It will happen due to foul trouble, injuries, etc. I think Brunk can do well 15-18 mpg. If he is asked to do more than I have concerns.

Can't see Smith being able to play the 3 unless he has drastically improved from last season. He has the physical abilities, but he can't really dribble or shoot.

Yeah this is where I am. Short minutes if Devonte and Rob are on the floor? Maybe. But if you put him in there with say Al, Brunk, and Davis? That will get ugly quickly. That’s a lineup I am sure we will see at some point no matter who the 2 is.

53 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I really cannot see Phin, Green, and Al all starting together. That is too small for a pack line defense, right?

It's the same size or bigger than Virginia's starting backcourt from last year. Green and Al are pretty long, so it's definitely doable. If those guys can all knock down 3s at 40+%, I imagine they'll play together a lot.

We have a lot of different intangibles that could be VERY good for this upcoming season. I think a lot hinges on three big things:

- Improved 3-Point Shooting
- Progression of Justin Smith
- Healthy and ready to go Jerome Hunter

I fully believe this team will have better chemistry and be better as a team than last season. There will be growing pains, but if Justin can take the leap forward all of us expected last year will be huge because of the impact he can have on a game (see MSU games). Also, Hunter is a very good player and once he gets settled and comfortable in games, he will elevate this entire team.

Very excited with slightly skepticism for this team. Can’t wait for the season (and IU football lol).

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners