Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

40 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Smith played the least of any starter. And would have played less had Morgan stayed out of foul trouble. 

Archie was not going to play Jake over Smith since it was clear Jake wasn’t going to be on the team much longer. 

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Jake transferred because he couldn't get playing time over an inefficient Smith.  Had Archie benched Smith and given opportunity to Jake, he may have stayed.  This is why I say Archie seemed unwilling to bench Smith when he did have options 

12 minutes ago, Josh said:

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Jake transferred because he couldn't get playing time over an inefficient Smith.  Had Archie benched Smith and given opportunity to Jake, he may have stayed.  This is why I say Archie seemed unwilling to bench Smith when he did have options 

Well insiders have stated he didn’t know the offense till December. So yeah I think his days were numbered. Plus you can’t exactly reward players who don’t learn the offense. 

Well insiders have stated he didn’t know the offense till December. So yeah I think his days were numbered. Plus you can’t exactly reward players who don’t learn the offense. 

Ahem, What offense?!?

Ducks and leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

28 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Did Smith have a grip on it?  He was mostly ineffective and a detriment.  

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

I will reward ineffective effort all day before I reward disinterested 

Can't you use one to motivate the other?

I don't see Archie benching Smith this season due to last year's example.  That's all I'm saying.

11 minutes ago, Josh said:

I don't see Archie benching Smith this season due to last year's example.  That's all I'm saying.

He has options now. If there’s different conditions not fair to expect the same results. Smith only played 24 minutes per game Archie was clearly not pleased with him. 

Smith lacked hustle most times. Forced plays when plays not there. Couldn’t shoot free throws consistently or from anywhere, really. Rarely made cutting plays which should be his trademark. Defense wasn’t as good as his athleticism should allow for.

He was an enigma. He has something like 2 great games randomly.

Before I’m accused of player bashing, it’s not my intention. Honestly rooting hard for him to flip the switch.

I feel like he has a bit of Troy Williams in him but to me Bad Troy was a better player.

So hoping he figures his shot out and if not, which is more predictable, he learns how to use his assets to be a cutter, driver, rebounder and then makes the hustle plays.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Smith lacked hustle most times. Forced plays when plays not there. Couldn’t shoot free throws consistently or from anywhere, really. Rarely made cutting plays which should be his trademark. Defense wasn’t as good as his athleticism should allow for.

He was an enigma. He has something like 2 great games randomly.

Before I’m accused of player bashing, it’s not my intention. Honestly rooting hard for him to flip the switch.

I feel like he has a bit of Troy Williams in him but to me Bad Troy was a better player.

So hoping he figures his shot out and if not, which is more predictable, he learns how to use his assets to be a cutter, driver, rebounder and then makes the hustle plays.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

My thoughts exactly

Smith is a guy who lacks a position. He can't be a power forward because he's not big enough. He's like 6'6/6'7 without a big frame. He'd be a perfect wing with his height and athleticism. But, he can't play on the wing because, well, he can neither dribble nor shoot. 

31 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Smith is a guy who lacks a position. He can't be a power forward because he's not big enough. He's like 6'6/6'7 without a big frame. He'd be a perfect wing with his height and athleticism. But, he can't play on the wing because, well, he can neither dribble nor shoot. 

^^^ This. Not bashing, it's just observation. He has lots of tools, but hasn't been able to build anything with them. Here's hoping 3rd year is the charm. 

I could see it happening. Last year once we got some healthy bodies he benched him. It seemed to work for the team if not so much for JS. Hopefully there were some serious conversations between him and CAM after the season and there’s a better understanding of what is and is not acceptable effort. I think CAM would go that route more quickly this year if those expectations aren’t met.

Last year I said I thought we would struggle because of uncertainty in the post and lack of a trusted floor general.

This year, I think we're looking really quite solid in the post. I'm still not certain about our guard play - a lot hinges on a freshman making strong strides forward as a sophomore and a senior finally realizing his potential.

This over simplifies things, but I'm choosing to only focus on roster makeup as an indicator.

Smith played the least of any starter. And would have played less had Morgan stayed out of foul trouble. 
Archie was not going to play Jake over Smith since it was clear Jake wasn’t going to be on the team much longer. 

Or was Jake not going to be on the team much longer because he got next to no playing time when others were playing like they gave zero f’s?

Not bothering to learn the system will result in that 

He was a freshmen and “the system” according to Archie takes years to learn.

I’ve watched every game and I still don’t have a clue what our system is and I would assume most of the players don’t yet either otherwise we wouldn’t be and NIT team or worse both years

Just now, MikeRoberts said:

He was a freshmen and “the system” according to Archie takes years to learn.

I’ve watched every game and I still don’t have a clue what our system is and I would assume most of the players don’t yet either otherwise we wouldn’t be and NIT team or worse both years

Phinisee learned it. He didn’t learn it to the expectation. I love how many people want Archie to reward that with minutes. 

Phinisee learned it. He didn’t learn it to the expectation. I love how many people want Archie to reward that with minutes. 

I just don’t feel like Justin Smith learned the system either, he looked lost and bored in most games sans a couple. Jake never got the time on the court to get into a groove. He was liked a caged animal every time he was let out. He needed time to settle in and never got it.

And in regards to Phinisee learning the system, maybe, but I would also expect the basketball IQ of our starting point guard to be a little higher than most