Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

Kyle Neddenreip - Indy Star

INDIANAPOLIS — Jake LaRavia and Jalen Windham, two of the state’s best shot-makers, are suddenly back on the market after coaching changes at the college programs they had originally signed letters of intent.

Both were headed out of state. LaRavia, the 6-8 Lawrence Central standout, had signed with Southern Illinois-Edwardsville. Windham, the 6-5 Ben Davis star, was headed to Georgia State to play for Ron Hunter. After the season, Jon Harris was fired at Southern Illinois-Edwardsville. Hunter left Georgia State to take the Tulane job. And everything started all over for LaRavia and Windham, who were both released from their letters of intent.

This might be a good thing, though, not only for LaRavia and Windham, but perhaps for fans of in-state basketball programs.

“The first time going through (recruiting) was really exciting, but this time I feel like I know everything about it and know what I’m doing,” LaRavia said. “I can just chill and enjoy the process of the next couple weeks.”

LaRavia, who averaged 17.3 points, 6.8 rebounds and 3.9 assists per game, was offered a scholarship by Indiana State almost immediately after his release and plans to make an official visit to Terre Haute (likely the weekend of April 12-14).

“They are really interested in me,” LaRavia said Sunday at the Top 60 Senior Workout at Marian University. “They already came down and talked to me – the whole coaching staff did the very next day. I know how much they want me and I know it’s a good program for me to go play at.”

Indiana State will have competition for LaRavia. Purdue has been busy with an NCAA tournament run that ended with a loss to Virginia on Saturday in the Elite Eight, but Boilermakers’ assistant coach Brandon Brantley has reached out to LaRavia.

“They told me coach (Matt) Painter would give me a call in the days after the tournament,” he said. “For me, I think that would be a great spot.”

LaRavia said he sees some similarities in his game to that of Ryan Cline, the senior former Carmel star who carried Purdue with a career-high 27-point effort in a Sweet Sixteen win over Tennessee on Thursday.

“We play the same position, kind of the same height, but he’s a senior,” LaRavia said. “I know they have other players, but I could see being a good spot. I’ve been watching them a lot in the NCAA tournament and think I could fit in with their style of play. Once they reach out, then we’ll see what happens.”

Missouri, coached by former Purdue assistant Cuonzo Martin, has also been in contact. LaRavia, who will not turn 18 until November, has also heard from prep schools. He shot 42.6 percent from the 3-point line (46-for-108) as a senior.

“If some of the schools don’t work out, prep school could be an option for me,” he said. “Because of my young age.”

LaRavia has taken official visits to Jacksonville, SIU-E and Hillsdale. He would have one remaining after Indiana State. SIU-E has also stayed in touch with LaRavia since former assistant Brian Barone was hired nearly three weeks ago.

Windham’s situation changed when Hunter, the former IUPUI coach, left Georgia State after leading the Panthers to three NCAA tournament appearances in seven seasons. Last weekend, as Windham’s Ben Davis team was playing Carmel in the Class 4A state finals, Hunter was hired as Tulane’s coach.

It has been a busy week already for Windham, who received his release from Georgia State on Wednesday. Indiana, Kent State, Loyola (Ill.), Marshall, Middle Tennessee and Tulane are among the schools that have reached out. Kent State was in for a home visit already this week.

“Basically, I’m starting over again with everything,” he said. “Georgia State is still in the conversation. I just need to know what the head situation will be there.”

Indiana assistant coach Ed Schilling reached out to Windham, who shot 36 percent from the 3-point line as a senior and averaged 17.9 points per game. The Hoosiers are looking to bolster their outside shooting.

“They stressed how they need shooters and I could fit their system pretty well,” Windham said. “I’m probably going to get in campus soon and get that set up in the next couple weeks.”

Windham said he is trying to give it time before he rushes into any decision.

“Playing at a high level has always been a dream of mine but I also want to make sure it is the best situation for me,” he said. “If IU comes in, I would definitely take that into strong consideration. I’ll take all my options into consideration.”

Center Grove senior and Indiana recruit Trayce Jackson-Davis has been doing a little recruiting of his own.

“He’s been hitting my phone pretty much every day,” Windham said. “He’s been vouching for me. He’s been talking to me a lot. I think it would be pretty fun.”

Like LaRavia, Windham said he has a better handle on the recruiting process a second time around.

“At first, every time a school offered me it was like, ‘Do I need to commit here?’” Windham said. “Now, I feel like I can take my time. I understand it a little more. It’s not as new to me. I feel like I have more of a grip on it than I did the first time.”

As for the rumors, I never heard any of those. Was there a fight in the locker room, yes but pretty sure it didn't involve Romeo. There are always rumors of players sleeping with girlfriends. Watford sleeping with Hulls g/f was a big one a few years ago. Hulls married that girl and Watford was in the wedding so we know that didn't happen.
I was told on Friday that Anderson would be the next transfer, so we'll see if that happens. I think they are wrapping up the end of the year meetings this week. I still think that Smith goes too. 
I would take Brunk and Windham. I  don't think Lewis is a possibility. Happy Monday!!!
I am fine with anderson leaving. He seemed totally lost on the court.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Wow! 

Jeff GoodmanVerified account @GoodmanHoops 5 min. hour ago
More

Sources telling me 5-star freshman swingman Romeo Langford has told Indiana's coaches that after deep discussions with family and others close to him, he will return to Bloomington for his sophomore season. 

BTW, you all know what today is, right? ... This is completely and totally fabricated ... Don't hate. Appreciate. ... Especially since none of you thought of it first! 
BS

Same. He didn’t really seem to know what he was doing on either side of the floor. Neither did Forrester but his hustle made up for a lot. I’d trade Anderson for Moore staying any day. Unfortunately that ship has sailed.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Bailey7878 said:

He was a freshman outside the top 100. He will need time to adjust. I don't see why we would give up on a guy that soon unless the staff just made a really bad evaluation of him in high school.

Damezi is not an elite shooter and the rest of his game is severely lacking. He needs to go somewhere he can get playing time.
I agree. He may have drained shots in hs but he shot 27% at iu. And alot of those misses were really good looks. I think a mid major is the better fit for him.

And I think Rivals is the better fit for you.
Because I am brutally honest on what I see. Sorry im not pumping rainbows and unicorns of every IU player just cause they play for IU. Not every player works out and that is a fact. He is one I am not high on. I guess you are high on him.

My co-worker is in Bloomington today, just texted me that he saw Archie pull up to Nick's, driving a big white SUV dealer car.  Picked up kid about 6'2", and another kid around 6'10" with long hair (and one of their mothers), all the assistants were standing outside.  Know the one is Brunk, any ideas who the other would be?  Not to be racist, said they were both white

5 minutes ago, mamasa said:

My co-worker is in Bloomington today, just texted me that he saw Archie pull up to Nick's, driving a big white SUV dealer car.  Picked up kid about 6'2", and another kid around 6'10" with long hair (and one of their mothers), all the assistants were standing outside.  Know the one is Brunk, any ideas who the other would be?  Not to be racist, said they were both white

I heard Jager ate lunch with Brunk and Archie, not sure if this is him however.

4 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Wow! 

Jeff GoodmanVerified account @GoodmanHoops 5 min. hour ago

More

Sources telling me 5-star freshman swingman Romeo Langford has told Indiana's coaches that after deep discussions with family and others close to him, he will return to Bloomington for his sophomore season. 

BTW, you all know what today is, right? ... This is completely and totally fabricated ... Don't hate. Appreciate. ... Especially since none of you thought of it first! 

Lol f*** this man, I got so excited at first.