Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

The Season Is Finally Over, Now Where Does This Program Go?

16 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I thought it was funny that he didn't point out that Archie pulled Smith for standing and watching, put him back in a few minutes later, he gets a block, runs the floor for a dunk. But only Gregg Marshall does that stuff.

You have to remember that Dakich is the guy who said that he had to get on Knight to motivate him to go after refs.

10 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

You have to remember that Dakich is the guy who said that he had to get on Knight to motivate him to go after refs.

Yeah, I thought he took a couple of cheap shots last night. But that is nothing new. I loved the message Marshall gave before the game and at halftime. He did a great job. I think our guys are too relaxed at times here at IU because they are pampered and have such nice things. 

40 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I thought it was funny that he didn't point out that Archie pulled Smith for standing and watching, put him back in a few minutes later, he gets a block, runs the floor for a dunk. But only Gregg Marshall does that stuff.

I wouldn't put Marshall and Arch in the same tier of coaching.  Marshall is light years ahead IMO.  Man, do I wish we had him. 

I will be very interested to see what happens with Forrester, Moore and Anderson. They had 22, 20 and 14 games, respectively, in which they never left the bench. And when they did play, they pretty much looked lost. 

Moore was a Crean recruit, but the other two are Archie's guys. With only 13 scholarship players -- essentially 11 this year because of how limited Race was and how Hunter didn't play at all -- you've absolutely got to get more from your bench. I'm guessing by season's end, our 7-8 main guys were just worn down. 

I guess for those three there are three options: Work your a$$ off to get better, transfer or be happy riding the bench. Wonder what it'll be???

I posted what follows in the Concerns thread, but I think my thoughts fit this thread as well.

One old man's opinion.  For Archie's style of play, he was hired at the wrong moment in time.  Romeo's a 5-star Indiana kid and in the next class Brooks and TJD both 5-star Indiana kids.  Archie put the pressure on himself in his opening presser with his recruiting comments but the fanbase also had the same feeling that we weren't landing the top Indiana kids and collectively we were pissed to see them going to MSU, VA, UCLA, etc.

I don't care what anyone else says, a 5-star rated kid has a different personal agenda and for that reason, I'm not that overly upset that we lost Brooks and not that overly enthused for Trendon Watford.  Archie's style needs more than 1-year players and not a reliance on one and dones and so I'm kinda sorta happy the Indiana '20 class doesn't have that caliber of player that demands a heavy IU recruitment.  I think we need to get Archie's style ingrained and then you can selectively go after the 1-year rentals.  And I'll also go so far as to commit heresy and suggest we stop overly obsessing on the 5-stars in our overall recruiting efforts.

I tend to agree. I think for Archie to have success here he will have to build that on the back of hungry 3 and 4 stars initially.

He said during his presser that it took about 3 years to implement his defense which supports the idea that he needs his core first. Then when that is in place add the higher end talent.

Hard not to try and shortcut the process and chase the 5* kids though.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah, I thought he took a couple of cheap shots last night. But that is nothing new. I loved the message Marshall gave before the game and at halftime. He did a great job. I think our guys are too relaxed at times here at IU because they are pampered and have such nice things. 

Hmmm... so the guys at Kentucky are too pampered... that’s why they are so relaxed right? Guys at Duke? Kansas? UNC? MSU? UM?

Just now, Joe DeLow said:

Hmmm... so the guys at Kentucky are too pampered... that’s why they are so relaxed right? Guys at Duke? Kansas? UNC? MSU? UM?

I think all of those schools have players who are pampered. Especially UK and Duke. But those players know they have a common goal to play hard, raise their draft status. I don't think UM or MSU they are treated as well as IU players are here. Their treated like gods around here. That is the part I would put on Archie and maybe those other programs coaches do a better job of handling it. I would kick them out of their locker room, take away some of the perks and make them earn them back this summer. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think all of those schools have players who are pampered. Especially UK and Duke. But those players know they have a common goal to play hard, raise their draft status. I don't think UM or MSU they are treated as well as IU players are here. Their treated like gods around here. That is the part I would put on Archie and maybe those other programs coaches do a better job of handling it. I would kick them out of their locker room, take away some of the perks and make them earn them back this summer. 

But you can’t pamper all season long and then kick them out; that kind of mixed signaling creates resentment, confusion, and lost credibility.

However, if the coaching staff has been wise enough to foreshadow fallout from substandard performance and attitude, they have all kinds of effective options.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

But you can’t pamper all season long and then kick them out; that kind of mixed signaling creates resentment, confusion, and lost credibility.

However, if the coaching staff has been wise enough to foreshadow fallout from substandard performance and attitude, they have all kinds of effective options.

Totally agree about that. I would have done it differently but I just see some players with some entitlement issues. Some players who don't understand their own game or think differently about their game then what the truth is. Did you hear some of the post-game last night?

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Totally agree about that. I would have done it differently but I just see some players with some entitlement issues. Some players who don't understand their own game or think differently about their game then what the truth is. Did you hear some of the post-game last night?

I did not.  Can you summarize please.

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I did not.  Can you summarize please.

I will just do one player but he said he was played out of position all season long. He should have been on the perimeter so he could handle the ball more and get more jump shots. That was a summary of his interview

My expectations this year was a top 5 Big Ten finish and an NCAA Tournament win in the first round. Obviously that didn't happen. I still felt this team had the talent to do that. Yes, injuries to Jerome, Race, and Rob among others hurt. I still think there was a chemistry issue. Was it Romeo and all the hype? Was it leadership? Who knows, but Archie is feeling pressure now to win. Year 1 was a pass. This year not so much. They run no offense. They have to get three point shooters in next year or it will be even worse than this season. Juwan was a good Hoosier, McRoberts was a shell of himself this year but he gave us good minutes in previous seasons. Fitzner seems like a good person, just didn't work out here. Romeo is probably going pro. Yes-Indiana is better with him. He didn't live up to the hype but I think he will be a great ambassador for IU and hope he does well in the NBA. I expect two transfers. I think Moore is one of them. You think he would want to play somewhere else and get more playing time. I don't think Justin Smith fits at all here. Would not be surprised to see him go. I think Devonte's surge is going to keep him here. I hope Jake and Damezi stay for one more year to improve. Here is my line up for next year based on who we have/who is coming in:

Rob- Needs to develop a shot. Will be one of the best PG in the B1G and soon the country. We are lucky to have him. Could be All-Big Ten good next year. 

Al- Hope he makes a jump like he did this year. If Al is our 3rd/4th best player we may have a good time. 

Devonte- Does not need to handle the ball. Needs to be more consistent. 

Jerome- I have to think he would have started this year had he stayed healthy. He can play 2-4. Really think he can be an All-Big Ten player. Just hope he is good to go next year....if he was cleared I would feel much better.

TJD- I don't expect a Zeller like impact, more like Thomas Bryant. I think he could be Big Ten FOY and soon All-Big Ten. Really like TJD. Interested to see him put on muscle and develop a shot. 

Armaan, De'Ron, and Race are your players off the bench. I think Archie prefers to play 8 guys at all times. This lineup is probably at best an 8-9 seed in the tournament. The Big Ten is going to be tough next year. Michigan and Michigan State are going to be title contenders. I think Ohio State is going to get a huge boost with their class coming in. Iowa and Minnesota will be decent. You can't count out Purdue and Illinois either. 

I hope Archie can pull together a shooter and a wing between now and the end of the season. It can be Watford, a grad transfer, JUCO-whoever. He still needs to upgrade this roster. Here is to next year!

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I will just do one player but he said he was played out of position all season long. He should have been on the perimeter so he could handle the ball more and get more jump shots. That was a summary of his interview

Where can I watch those interviews?

Just now, Chris007 said:

Not sure if it is OK to post from another site and please remove if it isn't

https://www.insidethehall.com/2019/03/26/video-iu-players-react-to-loss-to-wichita-state-2/

Is it just me or do they look way too happy after their season just ended?

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Justin Smith; heard it.

He was trying to choose his words carefully but got trolled into expanding on his feelings a bit too much.  He is SUCH a bright young guy, but you could feel his resentment throughout his interview.

Thought DeVonte was very very gracious in his postgame interview.